Likes Likes:  5,567
Dislikes Dislikes:  64
ELITE ELITE:  563
Page 515 of 527 FirstFirst ... 15415465505513514515516517525 ... LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,150 of 5266

Thread: Missed connection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glad I Got My Brakes Repaired

Well, since I'm in town for this week, it's only fitting that I'd have a Missed connection while here!

Here's the site where it happened: https://goo.gl/maps/irBxE6HQkoEd3SQ69

And here's the story: I was biking on Loudoun County Parkway (I only had to ride on it for 1.4 miles luckily) towards the final station on the Phase 2 of the Silver Line, riding in the right lane. As I approached Uunet Dr (yes, it's named that), there was a right turn only lane that had a parked oversize construction vehicle right in front of the intersection. Bad situation, as traffic coming from Uunet Dr had their sightlines completely blocked.

As I got closer, I drifted to the left of the lane so that I could get a better view in case cars might be coming from the right, and, well, sure enough I see a driver who rolled through their stop sign pop up in my lane! Luckily I had gotten my brakes fixed on Sunday, so I was able to avoid a collision. I looked at the driver who threw their hands up in a "What else was I supposed to do?" gesture, then rode off, cursing drivers for a bit before returning to my ride (I would have been so disappointed and mad if I was unable to finish the ride since I only had one station left).

Pics of the incident:

Approaching the intersection, the oversize construction vehicle blocking the right turn only lane, a driver has to go around them to make a right turn
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missedConnection_part1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	20028

Getting up to the construction vehicle, I start to drift to the left to get a better view of cross traffic

Name:	missedConnection_part2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	20029

And as I get around the construction vehicle, suddenly a rogue SUV appears!

Name:	missedConnection_part3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	20030

Evasive brake maneuver, the SUV stops, driver gesticulates, I ride off and curse

Name:	missedConnection_part4.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	20031

2. Likes Starduster, kwarkentien, bentbike33, ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Maybe driver's ed needs to be lengthened by 5 minutes for a short lesson on going around the block.
    I had a somewhat similar thing happen to me at King St and Cedar. I was pulling up to the stop sign on Cedar to make a right on King. Some driver coming up King St pulls up, stops, then starts backing down Cedar where I am currently occupying space. I took a couple frantic steps to the right to get out of the way. I yelled and waved and cursed at him. I still don't know if he ever saw me or not. He just decided he was going to make a 3-point U-turn to go back down King St no matter what.

Why not just make a right on Cedar, and a right on Russell?! Hey look! You're back where you want to be! #$%ing idiots these days don't have any clue about how streets work or where they are without their GPS so they pull this crap.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    I had a somewhat similar thing happen to me at King St and Cedar. I was pulling up to the stop sign on Cedar to make a right on King. Some driver coming up King St pulls up, stops, then starts backing down Cedar where I am currently occupying space. I took a couple frantic steps to the right to get out of the way. I yelled and waved and cursed at him. I still don't know if he ever saw me or not. He just decided he was going to make a 3-point U-turn to go back down King St no matter what.

Why not just make a right on Cedar, and a right on Russell?! Hey look! You're back where you want to be! #$%ing idiots these days don't have any clue about how streets work or where they are without their GPS so they pull this crap.
    Yikes!! Did he come close enough to pound on his car? Or were you totally engaged in your evasive maneuver?

Post Thanks / Like

Me: Running on the Beach Drive path through the tunnel

You: A biker in a hurry

If you can't walk your bike through the tunnel as is posted and need to go keep riding, don't try to pass runners. There's not enough room to do that, especially with those tennis rackets bungied to your rear rack. Repeatedly calling "Passing on your left" isn't going to make me flatten myself against the wall, and riding close enough so your front wheel starts hitting my feet will definitely make me slow down.

When you're in that much of a hurry, take the road.

6. Likes creadinger, scoot liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post

You: A biker in a hurry

If you can't walk your bike through the tunnel as is posted and need to go keep riding, don't try to pass runners. There's not enough room to do that, especially with those tennis rackets bungied to your rear rack. Repeatedly calling "Passing on your left" isn't going to make me flatten myself against the wall, and riding close enough so your front wheel starts hitting my feet will definitely make me slow down.

When you're in that much of a hurry, take the road.
    Well I am sure kvetching on the forum solved this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Yikes!! Did he come close enough to pound on his car? Or were you totally engaged in your evasive maneuver?
    I was almost totally engaged in maneuvering. It's not easy to move yourself and a bike sideways! I would have loved the opportunity to pound on the roof or a window though. Wake these bastards up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Well I am sure kvetching on the forum solved this problem.
    You mean like the previous 5,145 posts?? That's what this whole thread is for!

10. Likes baiskeli, secstate, Emm, scoot, Steve O, Hancockbs liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "a minefield of dumb games and social cliques badly disguised as a forum for DC bike advocacy."
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    You mean like the previous 5,145 posts?? That's what this whole thread is for!
    That's my point. Kvetching pretty much is pissing in your own water stream. If you want to solve the problems, solve them directly and dont do passive aggressive shit. Stop the person. Talk to them. I do it all the time. And my favorite is "well no one else has ever said anything" - and I know its true - because idiots would rather kvetch that directly get involved.

Post Thanks / Like

So myself and the other idiots would rather "kvetch" sometimes. Deal with it. Maybe you should take some direct action and ignore this thread.

Pretty simple.

13. Likes dasgeh, Tania, baiskeli liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post

You: A biker in a hurry.
    Unfortunately I don't see any indication that NPS is working to repair the trail damage that is forcing everyone through the tunnel.