Page 481 of 500 FirstFirst ... 381431471479480481482483491 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,810 of 4998

Thread: Missed connection

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    Not a bad idea, but it does nothing about the rudeness, and that's what gets to me.
    True, but I'm just over the moon if I end a ride without hurting anything or anybody. A ride with all of my appendages attached and unbroken is a good ride in my book.

2. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

My strategy is to not worry about it. It's amazing how wonderful a bike ride can be.

7 things you should give up to be a happy cyclist, London Cyclist

4. Likes VikingMariner, AFHokie, Birru liked this post
    ELITE VikingMariner ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, the passing-without-calling ratio has gotten much, much worse this year. Not quite sure why. I've been riding the slower bike for a few weeks so I get passed more often, and I've observed that most days only about 25% of riders call their passes. Then there was the guy yesterday who passed on the right before I could complete a pass . . .

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Seriously, the passing-without-calling ratio has gotten much, much worse this year. Not quite sure why. I've been riding the slower bike for a few weeks so I get passed more often, and I've observed that most days only about 25% of riders call their passes. Then there was the guy yesterday who passed on the right before I could complete a pass . . .
    Spring is always rough, but as cycling becomes more popular, I suspect each new spring will be progressively worse.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll second the mirror. Great for lots of circumstances.

Unfortunately on Monday morning I did not have it with me coming down the CCT from the MD line to Georgetown. Somehow I found myself in a steady stream-like pack of 20 Cat-6 commuters all going varying speeds at different times with someone always passing something. Throw a dozen joggers into the mix and it was chaotic. With all the bells dinging and ringing it sounded like a frickin salvation army bucket parade and I couldn't tell what the hell was going on. I had to check behind me before passing someone else anyway.

8. Likes KLizotte, notinthe18 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Spring is always rough, but as cycling becomes more popular, I suspect each new spring will be progressively worse.
    Evergreen post

10. Likes notinthe18 liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creadinger View Post
    I'll second the mirror. Great for lots of circumstances.

Unfortunately on Monday morning I did not have it with me coming down the CCT from the MD line to Georgetown. Somehow I found myself in a steady stream-like pack of 20 Cat-6 commuters all going varying speeds at different times with someone always passing something. Throw a dozen joggers into the mix and it was chaotic. With all the bells dinging and ringing it sounded like a frickin salvation army bucket parade and I couldn't tell what the hell was going on. I had to check behind me before passing someone else anyway.
    My commute is the opposite direction on the CCT, so I end up having to dodge these people as they swerve into my "lane". Also, it means that when I come up on a jogger or whatever, I end up having to stop and wait to pass because there inevitably is a line of like 15 cyclists all riding 2 abreast coming the other way. Gah, why do you people feel the need to ride your bikes to work?? That's my thing! Although come summer, the heat will surely take its toll and thin their ranks.

12. Likes consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    My commute is the opposite direction on the CCT, so I end up having to dodge these people as they swerve into my "lane". Also, it means that when I come up on a jogger or whatever, I end up having to stop and wait to pass because there inevitably is a line of like 15 cyclists all riding 2 abreast coming the other way. Gah, why do you people feel the need to ride your bikes to work?? That's my thing! Although come summer, the heat will surely take its toll and thin their ranks.
    Fortunately I rarely do that CCT route and usually on Fridays which are much less busy. On Tuesday evening I did the rare weekday trip from Del Ray up into DC for the FS Happy Hour and experienced the pretty much non-stop wall of cyclists coming southbound as you described. In 30 minutes of riding I saw more bad passes than I've seen in all of 2017. I know it sounds like first-world problems, but it really is a hassle.

14. Likes Tania liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    Not a bad idea, but it does nothing about the rudeness, and that's what gets to me.
    Come to Europe (you know, that cycling heaven), there are NO called passes and bells seem to be only when someone is annoyed.

Post Thanks / Like

Me: on the W&OD crossing Shreve (where there are flashing lights and "must yield to crosswalk" signs

You: the driver of a mini cooper with the top down; you weren't even close to the intersection and yet you sped up when you saw me and then yelled at me that I had a stop sign.

Bite me.

17. Likes notinthe18, Birru, streetsmarts, Steve O liked this post