Post Thanks / Like

Default 3 Foot Passing Video from Houston

"Flag-wielding bicyclist records motorists violating law"

http://www.click2houston.com/news/fl...g-law/25588992

Don't read the comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Don't read the comments.
    Shouldn't have read the comments. Angry now. Must go ride to purify.

Still, I can't say that I'm at all on-board with this guy's confrontational approach- nothing "good" is going to come of it unless something dramatic and awful happens to him or a driver avoiding him.

As a side note he may still be alive because he's built like a bulldog

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of using flags extending 3 feet from cyclists to help demonstrate to drivers the minimum passing distance. However, I would prefer it to be used to educate, not incriminate.

His goal of driver education is noble, but his overly aggressive and confrontational methods are sabotaging the message he's trying to communicate.

I actually think this should be done in Virginia. Just have some volunteers bike around with a flag extending 3 feet attached to their bike to show drivers how much space they need to give when passing, maybe also putting a sign on the back of the bike saying something like "Remember, give 3 feet" or "3 foot passing law." I'm sure most people when driving cannot visualize a 3 foot area around a cyclist, so having a visual reference would help.

Don't read the comments.
    Seriously, don't. Some of the commenters are out for blood!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't read the comments.
    Heh - it's like being warned about a hot plate at a restaurant. I MUST TOUCH IT.

Post Thanks / Like

<SIGH> After reading the latest American Randonneur magazine and seeing all the crazy people from Texas put in ridiculous miles, and host a bunch of rides each month, and talk about how great Texas is for riding I was really optimistic that maybe Texas wasn't so bad afterall... this single story makes me feel sad again. Oh well, it's not like I was planning on going there for anything.

Seriously, if you think the comments are bad here...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    but his overly aggressive and confrontational methods are sabotaging the message he's trying to communicate.
    I'm not so sure of that. I mean why is it sabotaging his message? It seems like people who watch that video understand exactly what he is saying. They might not agree with him, they may hate cyclists, or they may think he's an idiot, but I still think they would understand what he is saying.

I really go back-and-forth on this, but sometimes I think cycling advocates are too afraid of confrontation and aggression. Do people think we got in this car-dominated transportation system by the car lobbyists being patient and kind and passive? They are bulldozers. I imagine maybe it’s because bicycle lobbying appears to be more at a grassroots level, users of it, local advocacy, and not run so business-like. I think we suffer from the bike companies not finding it in their best interest to lobby more effectively or aggressively on our behalf, the way car companies and AAA seem to.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I see the problem. What the cyclist in the video should have done was to have attached two US flags extending out the three feet on each side. That way he could have said he was being patriotic and anyone who interferred with a flag was "un-American."

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't be sure from the camera angle, but the only car in the video that hits the flag and the rider confronts is only barely within 3 feet and is edging to the left side of the right lane when there is another car in the left lane. This doesn't seem to me as the cyclist being buzzed. I would certainly not confront a driver based on this. I would hope the cyclist has more egregious examples of being buzzed by a car and am wondering why this encounter was highlighted in the news story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Heh - it's like being warned about a hot plate at a restaurant. I MUST TOUCH IT.
    +1, sadly. (I should be more trusting in cases like this.)

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I think we suffer from the bike companies not finding it in their best interest to lobby more effectively or aggressively on our behalf, the way car companies and AAA seem to.
    That's a really good point. With the big pockets of major manufacturers, it seems like some of their marketing money could be better spent coordinating with the American League of Cyclists, local grass roots orgs, etc. and lobbying for better infrastructure instead of putting so much money into pro races. I like watching the TdF and other races as much as the next person but they do diddly-squat for making my riding safer here in DC.

BTW: I got buzzed twice this morning on S. Joyce Street neart the Pentagon. No more nice gal. I'm fully taking the lane from now on instead of staying over to the right to give people ample room to pass. That said, drivers are few and well-behaved on the Pentagon reservation.