Likes Likes:  2,053
Dislikes Dislikes:  38
ELITE ELITE:  125
Page 190 of 191 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191 LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 1903

Thread: My Evening Commute

  1. #1891
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    So is this something that can happen with tubeless tires? I've never seen anything like that on old-timey clinchers with tubes. I've had a sidewall blow out, but that becomes a flat really fast.
    From what I've read on the Internets, I think by construct tubeless tires are more susceptible to something like this happening "early" in the tires life where it should be covered by warranty.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

  2. #1892
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Beer Win Heights
    Posts
    908
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I had my first ever completely aborted commute today which was sad. But I am really grateful that bikes can go on metro, and that DASH buses have bike racks.

    While leaving work, I noticed this massive inch or so long bulge before I even left the parking garage. I immediately got off the bike and took the metro and bus home. It was screeching so loud against the frame while I walked the bike through the Pentagon metro/bus bay that I deflated the tire almost completely so I wouldn't have it burst and cause an "incident".

    How on earth does something like this happen? The tire was already pretty chewed up and having issues sealing up all it's punctures (thanks DC streets!), so I had already ordered a new tire and planned to get it installed Friday. So timing wise this isn't the end of the world, but it's definitely frustrating.
    This happened to me with an old Maxxis Ignitor (29" x 2.1). It was pretty used up so I tossed the tire. Saw some writeups about the same thing:
    https://www.utahmountainbiking.com/f...t-failures.htm
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...rs-608641.html
    Last edited by drevil; 07-03-2019 at 12:30 PM.

  3. #1893
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    From what I've read on the Internets, I think by construct tubeless tires are more susceptible to something like this happening "early" in the tires life where it should be covered by warranty.
    I don't think you can get this kind of a failure on a tire with a tube--it looks like a delamination, and a very small pinhole on the inside layer. A tube wouldn't be able to squeeze through the pinhole and then into the space between the layers.

  4. Likes Steve O liked this post
  5. #1894
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Beer Win Heights
    Posts
    908
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I don't think you can get this kind of a failure on a tire with a tube--it looks like a delamination, and a very small pinhole on the inside layer. A tube wouldn't be able to squeeze through the pinhole and then into the space between the layers.
    I agree. I didn't dissect my tire like others did in those links in my previous post, but I thought the same when it happened.

  6. #1895
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    703
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    I agree. I didn't dissect my tire like others did in those links in my previous post, but I thought the same when it happened.
    I think it is highly unlikely with a tube, but it is possible. (Happened to me as a kid; bike was stored under the porch for a few weeks in the heat and the inner layer delaminated enough to let the tube poke through and bulge out.)

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

  7. #1896
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    I think it is highly unlikely with a tube, but it is possible. (Happened to me as a kid; bike was stored under the porch for a few weeks in the heat and the inner layer delaminated enough to let the tube poke through and bulge out.)
    Well, I've learned something new about tire hernias.

  8. #1897
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    After a hot day, it was raining at 6:20 PM when I was making my way to the MVT after taking Memorial bridge. Three guys were walking abreast and taking up the whole trail, so the cyclist in front of me went onto the grass to get around them and I did the same. He then wiped out spectacularly on the wet grass, slamming down onto the grass then somehow bouncing back up to his feet. The guys were said things like "nice save dude!". The cyclist was good-natured about the situation, all things considered.
    On the Custis Trail there was a downed tree spanning the width of the trail, and the hefty branch is at "head height". 'Hope people see it in time after dark...

    Edit- I should have posted it under "trail conditions" and I see it now has been, here:
    http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...nditions/page6
    Too heavy to clear manually; a chain saw will be required.
    Last edited by phog; 07-18-2019 at 06:33 AM.

  9. #1898
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The banks of Lubber Run
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I drove to work yesterday. I never do that. It was awful, terrible, painful, slow and expensive. $25 to park for the day? At that rate I've saved $100,000 over the last 20 years (I know, I know, parking didn't cost $25/day in 1999, but I've been bike commuting since '93 so it's a wash). An hour to get to George Mason and 50? I'm home with a beer by then on a normal day. Driving is for suckers and last resorts.

  10. Likes ChristoB50, bentbike33, Sunyata, josh, Steve O liked this post
  11. #1899
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    I drove to work yesterday. I never do that. It was awful, terrible, painful, slow and expensive. $25 to park for the day? At that rate I've saved $100,000 over the last 20 years (I know, I know, parking didn't cost $25/day in 1999, but I've been bike commuting since '93 so it's a wash). An hour to get to George Mason and 50? I'm home with a beer by then on a normal day. Driving is for suckers and last resorts.
    I regretted every time I drove to work during the past 10 years. The worst day on a bike is still better than in a car.

  12. #1900
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    I regretted every time I drove to work during the past 10 years. The worst day on a bike is still better than in a car.
    Ten years straight for me now, with my first day at work here being the only time I drove in.

    I suppose, technically, that the day after my knee surgery when I got dropped off was sort of cheating, although I was a passenger. Still, I hated it so much that I rode the bike the next work day.

  13. Likes bentbike33, KWL liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •