Likes Likes:  2,077
Dislikes Dislikes:  38
ELITE ELITE:  125
Page 140 of 192 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150190 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1920

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

First ride with lots of headwind. Nice little dousing at the end.

Quads are telling me its time to raise the saddle again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GovernorSilver View Post
    First ride with lots of headwind. Nice little dousing at the end.

Quads are telling me its time to raise the saddle again.
    I just missed the dousing. I was sitting at the light at Ft. Hunt and where Belle View becomes Beacon Hill Rd when a huge nasty strike of lightning struck. Seeing that motivated me a little more and I probably shaved my 2-3 minutes off the next 2 mile portion. As I walked into my shed with bike, the heavens unleashed. So I barely got wet, but close.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    I was treated to this glorious sunset on my commute home the other night, on the Festive Bike path (national cycle route 33) in Flax Burton, outside of Bristol UK.
    With your back to Europe, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    I just missed the dousing. I was sitting at the light at Ft. Hunt and where Belle View becomes Beacon Hill Rd when a huge nasty strike of lightning struck. Seeing that motivated me a little more and I probably shaved my 2-3 minutes off the next 2 mile portion. As I walked into my shed with bike, the heavens unleashed. So I barely got wet, but close.
    My goal was to be done with the DC portion of my commute before the thunderstorm hit - so I accomplished that at least. Last time I was caught in DC during a deluge (last week actually) the N. Capitol-Louisiana Ave portion of the ride was such a mess - backed up vehicular traffic, street flooding, etc.

I think if I hadn't taken the extra time to look for the extra bike rack at Whole Foods - the one near the entrance to the underground parking lot (and there's only one ) - I might have made it home before getting doused. Curiosity didn't kill this cat, but it got him wet. 10 min. of dousing vs. 50 min. does make a difference though!

Post Thanks / Like

Good. Picked wineberries out along the towpath, put them in my empty water bottle (except for those I ate), took them home, and covered them with vodka and put them in the freezer. Tonight will be better.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Good. Picked wineberries out along the towpath, put them in my empty water bottle (except for those I ate), took them home, and covered them with vodka and put them in the freezer. Tonight will be better.
    I was once nearly arrested for picking raspberries along the GWMP. The Park Policeman "confiscated" my raspberries (essentially he took my container and threw them across the landscape). Apparently the law is that you may pick what you can eat, but you cannot take them away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I was once nearly arrested for picking raspberries along the GWMP. The Park Policeman "confiscated" my raspberries (essentially he took my container and threw them across the landscape). Apparently the law is that you may pick what you can eat, but you cannot take them away.
    I've heard similar stories from mushroom hunters and other foragers. Seems the rules are different in different locations, and often the folks doing law enforcement don't know the rules. Best course of action is to be discreet.

I'd probably not gather raspberries along a major road like the parkway anyway because of accumulated residue from exhaust, but then, it's probably a lot less than what I breathe in daily.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I've heard similar stories from mushroom hunters and other foragers. Seems the rules are different in different locations, and often the folks doing law enforcement don't know the rules. Best course of action is to be discreet.

I'd probably not gather raspberries along a major road like the parkway anyway because of accumulated residue from exhaust, but then, it's probably a lot less than what I breathe in daily.
    Or you could be like us and get your berries downwind from Chernobyl. Started out with instructions to bleach all of our fruits and vegetables during my first overseas assignment in Mexico City. Over the past 30 years I have probably begun to worry less about things like that.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is the 3rd week in a row somebody asked me if my Breezer is an electric bike.

Road bike guy at National Mall: "Is that an electric?"

Me: "It's all manual. My first bike - I'm new to cycling!".

Road bike guy: "So it's an electric".

Me: [laughs and shakes head, riding quietly a bit, then...] "Hey look, we've got a peloton ahead of us! Too bad I'm too slow to draft!"

I lost count of how many bikes were in the "peloton". Definitely more than 5. Plus somebody on an electric scooter. And also the pedicab who decided to "join" the "peloton". We collectively hogged both lanes of Jefferson until pedicab guy moved behind me.

So much headwind that by the time I caught sight of Braddock on Potomac Ave. Trail, I just stopped pedaling and coasted all the way to the street.

I later checked out the Breezer website. Sure enough, they do make an electric model - the Greenway. It looks pretty different though compared to my Uptown 8 - a lot more black, including the saddle. It also has a rear derailleur.
    Last edited by GovernorSilver; 06-30-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GovernorSilver View Post
    I think this is the 3rd week in a row somebody asked me if my Breezer is an electric bike.

Road bike guy at National Mall: "Is that an electric?"
    Just say "No. Belt drive."

That should be short enough to be understandable, and cool enough for any case. Belt drives are the way of the future and you may still qualify as an early adopter. Pull down those Ray Bans and smile at em.

Edit: uptowns don't have a belt drive do they? Oops. Thought all breezers did. Facepalm.
    Last edited by LeprosyStudyGroup; 06-30-2016 at 09:40 PM.