Page 172 of 179 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 1788

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post

[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's so cool. Any idea what that little stone says? It looks like someone wrote on one of them.

This looks like an adorable little squirrel city. Just needs some squirrel sized catapults and trebuchets and we could have a real life squirrel Medieval war!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post

This looks like an adorable little squirrel city. Just needs some squirrel sized catapults and trebuchets and we could have a real life squirrel Medieval war!
    Keeping with the Monty Python theme from the Missed Connection thread:

Silly squirrel K-nig-hts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lost panniers with wallet on commute home tonight

I rode near the volleyball courts by the Memorial Bridge (the Ken Center side) and took out some gloves so had the panniers there. Then i rode to Linc Memorial and around, Ohio Drive and 14th st. bridge. Mt Vernon trail to 4 mile run then to Giant near Pot Yards. There i discovered panniers gone.

Wallet in them.

Any ideas? Cancel cards, etc.
    Call Natl Park Service.

It would be cool if a cyclist found it/them

4. Dislikes Edelweiss disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    That's so cool. Any idea what that little stone says? It looks like someone wrote on one of them.

The stone does say the name of the father and son who made it. It's a little too small for a squirrel to fit, but maybe ...a mouse city?

FYI for those that would like to see it: it's on N Rosser St a few blocks from Skyline.

6. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    I rode near the volleyball courts by the Memorial Bridge (the Ken Center side) and took out some gloves so had the panniers there. Then i rode to Linc Memorial and around, Ohio Drive and 14th st. bridge. Mt Vernon trail to 4 mile run then to Giant near Pot Yards. There i discovered panniers gone.

Wallet in them.

Any ideas? Cancel cards, etc.
    Call Natl Park Service.

It would be cool if a cyclist found it/them

I'd bet on a cyclist. I've picked up people's panniers before - one had gov't ID and gov't issued cell phone in there. If your wallet was in there someone will probably find you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mello yello View Post
    I'd bet on a cyclist. I've picked up people's panniers before - one had gov't ID and gov't issued cell phone in there. If your wallet was in there someone will probably find you.
    Update: she went back and was able to find her panniers last night. She posted on Strava that she found them at the DC end of Memorial Bridge next to The Arts of War statue titled "Valor" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ar..._Arts_of_Peace

9. Likes Edelweiss, lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha thanks Bobco. I'm waiting for a bus in the rain and was just gonna follow up.
    It was really amazing that the bag was there 4 hrs later...untouched. Glad my friends encouraged me to go down there rather than wait.

Also from now on...things you can't lose stay attached in pockets etc. And always make sure the panniers' straps are attached. I maybe I forgot to do that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

11. Likes Judd, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    Ha thanks Bobco. I'm waiting for a bus in the rain and was just gonna follow up.
    It was really amazing that the bag was there 4 hrs later...untouched. Glad my friends encouraged me to go down there rather than wait.

Also from now on...things you can't lose stay attached in pockets etc. And always make sure the panniers' straps are attached. I maybe I forgot to do that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Glad you got it back! One reason I really like the Ortlieb panniers is that they clamp onto the rack, and you have to actually lift the straps to unclamp them. And since each one clamps on in two places, they won't come off even if you somehow fail to get one side on at all. That makes them nearly idiot-proof. And since I'm riding every morning pre-caffeine, "idiot-proof" is a necessity!

13. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to share this since it became one of my top 10 favorite rides all time.

Yesterday, I felt like doing a long ride after work and had planned to do so with a route going from my office in Arlington out to Bladensburg then home in Alexandria. I was a bit worried to find that the forecast called for a thunderstorm to pass through, but I was determined to go anyways.

I got caught in the rain for a bit (nothing more than a moderate amount), but after passing through SW DC and making it to the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail, I was treated to a beautiful rainbow to the east that I chased along the trail. Getting close to Bladensburg, I was treated to the serene environment of the wetlands where I saw a flock of small birds moving gracefully in what looked like an airborne school of fish. After reading all the informational signs at Bladensburg Waterfront Park, I made my way over to the Dueling Grounds where historical arguments were settled less than a half mile outside DC which had outlawed duels in the 19th century. I then found a way to access Boundary Stone NE7 which is at the edge of Fort Lincoln Cemetery by passing through a mud/straw covered area (my poor skinny tire road bike) near a housing development. Finally, while riding on the Wayne F Anderson Bikeway in Alexandria, I had my first lightning bug sighting of the summer. It was truly an awesome ride, and I'm glad I wasn't deterred by the brief storm.

(left) artwork with Anacostia River in back; (right) the rainbow I chased
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anacostiaRainbow1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	14902

(left) bridge geometry; (right) enjoying the views and sounds of the wetlands

Name:	anacostiaRainbow2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	14903

(left) reflection at Bladensburg Waterfront Park; (right) family of geese on the Anacostia River

Name:	anacostiaRainbow3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	14904

(left) Boundary Stone NE7 at outer edge of Ft Lincoln Cemetery; (right) wearing my new socks!

Name:	anacostiaRainbow4.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	14905

Post Thanks / Like

I had a site visit in LeDroit Park yesterday on my commute home. To be blunt, after the Masjid Muhammad mosque at 4th and P, black pedestrians or cyclists were unnoticeable until I got to Georgetown. Along 4th, to 2nd and U where my client lives, then outbound on Rhode Island Ave and M Street to get to Key Bridge almost every cyclist or pedestrian was white. It was a beautiful day with swarms of cyclists and pedestrians too many to count.

Then this morning this article came across my desk this morning, The Demographics of walking and biking to work tell yet another story of gentrification. Not too long, charts and maps, and this conclusion: "We donít have to don a veil of ignorance to formulate transportation policy. Those who can walk or bike to work have already won the income lottery."

I think they've flipped causes and effects in a couple of places, and that the article is looking to justify a preconceived conclusion, e.g. they take a club to the idea of bicycle commuter tax benefits because cyclists are so rich. Regardless...

I'm not saying there's a link. I just had an evening commute yesterday when I said to myself, jeez, where did all these cyclists come from? and jeez where did all these white people come from?

16. Likes streetsmarts liked this post