Page 160 of 172 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 1718

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Last night, coming home along 27 next to the Pentagon just south of that construction site around 6:30, I heard yelling. To my surprise, a guy was standing behind a smart car (I think it was a Car2Go) with its flashers on on the opposite (southbound) side of 27. After some gesturing and shouting I figured out that he was stuck, had no cell phone, and couldn't figure out how to walk to get help. I called the Arlington non-emergency line and they said they'd send someone, although they were more than a little confused about what happened and where it was ("so you're on 395? on your bike?" "no..."). The guy gestured for me to go ahead and that he was ok after a few mins, which I did because I have a little one at home. Hope they showed up quickly... though I'm sure the Pentagon Police would have got him sooner or later.

It was also an interesting opportunity for an informal survey of how many people would ask if everything was ok, given that I was standing by the side of the road with my bike laid down. Five cyclists and one runner passed by; three of the cyclists and the runner asked to help. Good karma, everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Two deer and I startled each other on the W&OD. No injuries and since this wasn't the first time, my heart didn't need to race.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Two deer and I startled each other on the W&OD. No injuries and since this wasn't the first time, my heart didn't need to race.
    I just about had an altercation with a R.O.U.S (muskrat) in the dark along the Nidda.

4. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally ran over a squirrel Wednesday evening (or rather, the squirrel ran under me). We all knew this day would come. I didn't go over the bars, partially because I was going slowly due to pedestrians. Same pedestrians said the squirrel was fine and ran up a tree. Even though squirrels are basically rats with fluffy tails, I hope it was fine and not dying slowly and painfully from internal injuries.

6. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Finally ran over a squirrel Wednesday evening (or rather, the squirrel ran under me). We all knew this day would come. I didn't go over the bars, partially because I was going slowly due to pedestrians. Same pedestrians said the squirrel was fine and ran up a tree. Even though squirrels are basically rats with fluffy tails, I hope it was fine and not dying slowly and painfully from internal injuries.
    Savage!

8. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally ran over a squirrel Wednesday evening (or rather, the squirrel ran under me). We all knew this day would come.
    Man! I have been trying to do this for years. Why does everyone else have all the luck?

10. Likes Phatboing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Man! I have been trying to do this for years. Why does everyone else have all the luck?
    I only want to harm the squirrels that destroy my garden. My dog will catch and kill rabbits*, but just looks at the damn squirrels, and they won't fall for live trapping anymore. If I could run over them in the yard with the mountain bike, I would. The rest may go in peace.

*ETA: We do not encourage the dog to kill bunnies.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 02-03-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My dog will catch and kill rabbits.
    My dog will chase rabbits if they run. I don't think she would have any idea what to do with a rabbit if she caught it. And when a rabbit once just stood still and wouldn't move, she just looked confused. You could see her thinking, "How am I supposed to chase something that's not running?"

13. Likes Brett L., Judd, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My commute tonight was gorgeous! I left Foggy Bottom just after sunset, and was treated to absolutely beautiful skies as I rode Westward into the dusk.

15. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got mine a couple of years ago. I was surprised by how... solid the little bugger was!