Page 157 of 162 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1620

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VA2DC View Post
    Are there that many folks driving around on bald tires? Yikes!!!
    I think all those shredded truck tires by the side of the road are there because truck companies often let their (non-cab) tires go until they fail. But I dunno, could be construction equipment and other stuff too. It's just what I assumed and maybe someone who's a mechanic would know more about where the wire comes from and the secret to avoiding it.

Post Thanks / Like

My evening (and morning) commutes involve that extra shot of adrenaline with armed robbers on the loose on the Capital Crescent Trail:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...31e_story.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    My evening (and morning) commutes involve that extra shot of adrenaline with armed robbers on the loose on the Capital Crescent Trail:

I had not heard about that. It's good to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Any more details about these attacks on the bike path? I don't regularly go that way but it feeds my paranoia in a negative way.

Stay safe out there. I regularly ride with one other person who prefers a companion for safety. If anyone else wants to team up for safety we ride basically from Huntington Metro station to L'Enfant Metro station 6:30 AM departure and 5:00 PM return. Sometimes a little later if the day gets away from one or both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an after-work meeting at the Arlington Public Schools admin building. After the meeting, I unlocked my bike and got ready to ride, but the headlight attached to my generator wouldn't come on. In the past I have had a little trouble with the wire connectors, which I can usually fix by jiggling them at the hub. No luck. Fiddled with it for 2-3 minutes before giving up. I still had plenty of lights: blinkies and my blinding helmet light.
    As I was riding home, annoyed that I was going to have to spend some time figuring out what went wrong I thought to check the power switch. Voila!! Light on.
    I never turn it off, since there's no battery drain. It remains lit for a little while after stopping. Some kind soul came by, noticed my light was shining, and shut it off for me.
    Thanks, Obama.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I had an after-work meeting at the Arlington Public Schools admin building. After the meeting, I unlocked my bike and got ready to ride, but the headlight attached to my generator wouldn't come on. In the past I have had a little trouble with the wire connectors, which I can usually fix by jiggling them at the hub. No luck. Fiddled with it for 2-3 minutes before giving up. I still had plenty of lights: blinkies and my blinding helmet light.
    As I was riding home, annoyed that I was going to have to spend some time figuring out what went wrong I thought to check the power switch. Voila!! Light on.
    I never turn it off, since there's no battery drain. It remains lit for a little while after stopping. Some kind soul came by, noticed my light was shining, and shut it off for me.
    Thanks, Obama.
    Glad I could help you out Steve O.

7. Likes kwarkentien, streetsmarts liked this post
    ELITE sjclaeys ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Glad I could help you out Steve O.
    Hey! Don't take false credit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Obama View Post
    Hey! Don't take false credit.
    Thanks Obama!

10. ELITE bobco85 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Left work late, and was dreading the ride given rumors of the crowds and crazies starting to assemble in DC. My route goes past hotspots like Farragut Square, Lafayette Park, and the White House, then crosses the Mall. Two things happened that made it far more pleasant than expected.

First, as I'm coasting down the sidewalk past the Ellipse, I came up on a large crowd of young people walking ahead of me. I didn't say anything or ring a bell, pretty much stuck and content to wait for the right moment to pass. They noticed me, and someone actually started yelling "MOVE LEFT". Magically, the whole group stepped aside and gave me just enough space to zip by, thanking them profusely. Not all tourists are impolite or oblivious, whoddathunk?!

Then, waiting for the light to cross Constitution Ave, a guy walked up next to me. He commented on the opera singer who sings near the White House, and we agreed on her astounding level of talent. Of all things he could have noticed about DC or wanted to talk about with a stranger, he chose a thing of beauty.

The rest of the ride was just calm and enjoyable. I'm not commuting anymore this week, but as a last ride through town it was great.

Post Thanks / Like

Way more pleasant (and fun) than I'd anticipated.

Was #205 on monolith and only saw one other cyclist.

13. Likes Steve O liked this post