Likes Likes:  2,008
Dislikes Dislikes:  38
ELITE ELITE:  125
Page 187 of 188 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188 LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 1875

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a sea monster on my commute home yesterday!!

I was outbound on the George Mason Bridge. Something floating in the river 35 feet below caught my eye. I thought it was a lost sea turtle at first. But it was a gigantic eastern snapping turtle. Alas, it was dead. Of course as I'm gawking at the size of it, and want other people to see too, the bridge was completely empty of any other cyclist or pedestrian. Typical.

I'm taking guesses on how big you think that thing is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giant turtule from Mason Bridge 18-0509 (2).jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	17892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giant turtule from Mason Bridge 18-0509 (1).jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	17893
    Last edited by Brendan von Buckingham; 05-10-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bike Sandals. That is all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Bike Sandals. That is all.
    +1
    Last edited by Steve O; 05-17-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: (In the absence of a Like button)

Post Thanks / Like

30-pack of shower caps: $2.50

Dry head on tonight's ride home: eight and one-third cents.

I'm also going to be experimenting with modifying them as booties, with a hole and some rubber bands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mello yello View Post
    30-pack of shower caps: $2.50

Dry head on tonight's ride home: eight and one-third cents.

I'm also going to be experimenting with modifying them as booties, with a hole and some rubber bands.
    Haha, I use a purple one with pink polka dots, but I'm not sure where it is now. A buddy found these at a drug store mid-ride, which I think were intended to keep your beehive/bouffant nice and poofy

Kevin Lookin Sweet in a Shower Cap! by ricky d, on Flickr

6. Likes Arlingtonrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Haha, I use a purple one with pink polka dots, but I'm not sure where it is now. A buddy found these at a drug store mid-ride, which I think were intended to keep your beehive/bouffant nice and poofy

Kevin Lookin Sweet in a Shower Cap! by ricky d, on Flickr
    Oh Man! Missing my "like" button.
    That's better by a long shot for the downpours! Even has a visor!

Now I just need one of those big green shaded visors like the old ladies on the golf course or the poker dealer costume has.

Post Thanks / Like

Decided to wait until the rain tapered off a bit last evening to leave work. Biked along Four Mile Gallop (much too majestic and fast for a run) going home, until George Mason when I switched to the W&OD (was not 100% sure it was clear of water under GM, but was saw it full of debris) for a while. Watched the burgeoning river the whole way home. wow. The only ford that was not overflowing to the point of invisibility was the one north of Glen Carlin Park that is no longer part of a trail. I was surprised to see the one south of Glen Carlin Park overflowing - that on almost never is. I did return to Four Mile Gallop Trail after Rt 50. The pass under Carlin Springs looked like the water receded a few minutes before I arrived, but it was passable. The Wilson underpass, of course, was not.
    It was a great ride and watching the power in that water was amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Decided to wait until the rain tapered off a bit last evening to leave work. It was a great ride and watching the power in that water was amazing.
    I don't blame you it was torrential, there a video on Reddit of the flooding along the W&OD of some cyclists wading through water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I don't blame you it was torrential, there a video on Reddit of the flooding along the W&OD of some cyclists wading through water.
    ew. bleach shower!

Post Thanks / Like

This evening was an adventure, a kind of fun one.
    I checked the radar and it looked like I might make it to Ballston without being rained on, but possibly rain the last bit. I left my office - no rain. I got to my bike 5 min later and it was pouring (that wasn't on the radar!). So off in the pouring rain. A bus on Army-Navy drive comes up along side me and honks. He appeared to be asking if I wanted to get on and continued when I shook my head (I am already drenched). It was nice of him, but the bus that close and honking was a little disturbing. The rain stops less than a minute after the bus passes.
    Four Mile Run was fine. Dark clouds in the distance, but no real rain and the stream was low - like there had not been rain all day. "Not too bad a ride," I think. Four Mile Run is still low (I continue on that trail) as I enter Barcroft Park. Still low as the trail goes away from stream by the shelter and play area. After the uphill as I am approaching S. George Mason, I start to hear the stream and look over. Well, that is definitely not low and I will need to move to the W&OD at Columbia pike - I missed the cresting water and that might have been cool to see. The water was just below the trail at the S. George Mason underpass, but likely that changed soon.
    Up to the W&OD. Streaming water here and there, but nothing bad, raining, but not bad. Each look at Four Mile Run and it is getting higher and higher. Well, I can tell that going under Carlin Springs Rd won't be possible (Wilson wouldn't be either, but that was not my plan today), but figure I can cross the road. Several people were waiting under rt 50. Not wanting to trudge through mud to Carlin Springs, I cross to Four Mile Run Trail and cross the road. I incorrectly decided that I could stay on Four Mile Run Trail, but wow. The tiny feeder stream is HUGE and there is no crossing the little bridge by the playground. Back to Carlin Springs and over to W&OD. Heavier streams crossing the trail, but doable (if I can see the yellow line through the muddy water, it cannot be too deep, I figured. Yes, my bike needs some attention now). Bluemont trail and Ballston were all fine, aside from too much rain.
    I was soaked, but the water and air were warm. Watching Four Mile Run rise is just amazing and if I didn't know where all the water tends to go and the ways around, I might have joined the folks under rt 50 for a while (or backed up a bit and take other roads). It was fun, although it did take quite a bit longer to get to my destination than usual.