Likes Likes:  2,063
Dislikes Dislikes:  38
ELITE ELITE:  125
Page 189 of 192 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 1919

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Well, today I was glad that I commute via bicycle. Rode out of the parking garage and saw that Army-Navy drive was completely backed-up heading towards the highways and the air smelled smoky or something. Then noticed that Washington Blvd was all backed up heading into the city, Rt 50 was all backed up both directions, I-66 all backed up heading into DC. I had a fast, lovely commute home.
    Upon return I heard about the overturned tanker on 495 and several other accidents. Wow.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Well, today I was glad that I commute via bicycle. Rode out of the parking garage and saw that Army-Navy drive was completely backed-up heading towards the highways and the air smelled smoky or something. Then noticed that Washington Blvd was all backed up heading into the city, Rt 50 was all backed up both directions, I-66 all backed up heading into DC. I had a fast, lovely commute home.
    Upon return I heard about the overturned tanker on 495 and several other accidents. Wow.
    No kidding!! I did not know why either, but I exchanged happy comments with my fellow bike commuters along the way. Chatted with one lady at the top of the Rosslyn hill who had walked from DuPont Circle. I suggested she get herself a bike.
    It seemed similar to me as the day the suicide jumper closed the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

3. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To the fella with the "#9" racing tag on the corner of the back of his shirt, heading West on the W&OD in Arlington... I had to slow down for that dog walker because the retractable leash was allowing the dog to randomly span the breadth of the trail. The only safe thing to do was to crawl past. I know it meant having to scrub off hard-earned momentum.
    My dinky Schwinn e-bike conversion was smoking you on the hills, too, even at half-throttle; that must have been insufferable, though you were riding faster downhill and on the straights, and insisted on cutting in front of me at West Falls Church. I wasn't racing, so I figured "screw it, let him <<win>>."
    Last edited by phog; 04-17-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had my first ever completely aborted commute today which was sad. But I am really grateful that bikes can go on metro, and that DASH buses have bike racks.

While leaving work, I noticed this massive inch or so long bulge before I even left the parking garage. I immediately got off the bike and took the metro and bus home. It was screeching so loud against the frame while I walked the bike through the Pentagon metro/bus bay that I deflated the tire almost completely so I wouldn't have it burst and cause an "incident".

How on earth does something like this happen? The tire was already pretty chewed up and having issues sealing up all it's punctures (thanks DC streets!), so I had already ordered a new tire and planned to get it installed Friday. So timing wise this isn't the end of the world, but it's definitely frustrating.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D-gZJ2iXkAEaQt2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	20204

6. Likes KWL, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post

Name:	D-gZJ2iXkAEaQt2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	20204
    Where's the WOW! emoji?

8. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happened to my tire last year at the Dirty BikenetiCrit when someone else was riding it. Mine was a relatively new tire ~500 miles on it. Maxxis replaced it under warranty.

Name:	Rambler Bubble.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	20205

10. Likes Emm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those pics remind me of the goose-egg knot that developed on my shin, when I fell over sideways on my (heavy) bike and the frame slammed into my leg. Took 4 months for the swelling to go away, but the spot is still slightly discolored 7 months later.
    Surely that must be due to a defect in the rubber/tire construction?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoB50 View Post
    Surely that must be due to a defect in the rubber/tire construction?
    Could be a defect or, given the life of the worn tire, it could be some of the threads (around which the rubber is moulded) on the inside giving way allowing that bit of the rubber to expand.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

13. Likes Judd, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Could be a defect or, given the life of the worn tire, it could be some of the threads (around which the rubber is moulded) on the inside giving way allowing that bit of the rubber to expand.

So is this something that can happen with tubeless tires? I've never seen anything like that on old-timey clinchers with tubes. I've had a sidewall blow out, but that becomes a flat really fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post

That sounds about right. I just played with it, and you can tell that one layer of rubber came up and got air inside to make the bubble, but there's still a layer of rubber on the inside below it, which has maintained the normal tire shape.

16. Likes LhasaCM liked this post