Page 167 of 182 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 1817

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Riding home on the MVT last night, I came up behind another cyclist at the northern airport bridge and waited to pass as usual since it is a blind corner. Another pair of cyclists pull up behind me waiting for a clear line of sight too. Then suddenly, a fifth cyclist starts passing us all just as a northbound cyclist comes flying around the blind corner. Luckily, everyone avoided each other but man, I don't remember an uptick in jerk cyclists this time last year. But in the past few weeks, it seems some folks act just like bad drivers!
    I think they shot the gap between me and an oncoming cyclist a bit further north (just south of the parking lot) with no call or apparent concern.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    I think they shot the gap between me and an oncoming cyclist a bit further north (just south of the parking lot) with no call or apparent concern.
    I think I might have seen this play out too - saw another cyclist yell at two clowns passing unsafely heading south just before Gravelly Point.

I don't normally ride the MVT, but was riding to a kids event at Wakefield HS straight from work so was off my usual route. For the whole stretch across 14th ST bridge and then MVT down to 4MR I was thinking "How do people ride this every day? People on this trail are freaking nuts!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alcova cyclist View Post
    I think I might have seen this play out too - saw another cyclist yell at two clowns passing unsafely heading south just before Gravelly Point.

I don't normally ride the MVT, but was riding to a kids event at Wakefield HS straight from work so was off my usual route. For the whole stretch across 14th ST bridge and then MVT down to 4MR I was thinking "How do people ride this every day? People on this trail are freaking nuts!"
    I prefer to take the Custis + W&OD + 4MR instead of MVT in the evenings at this point. It adds a few more miles, but I feel somewhat less anxious. Although I gotta say, there was someone playing soccer and someone playing basketball on the trail yesterday... There is no escape.

On that note, I was almost hit twice today crossing while the ped signal was on. One of them saw me and tried to beat me to it, and came less than a foot from hitting me. I always try to get to a ped crossing when turning left because I feel safer, but it is not always the case. I have always wondered, giving that Virginia law considers us a vehicle on the road, are we considered pedestrians while doing this? Would I be entitled for damages if someone ever hits me and I survive?

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

^^It's generally better to cut through Columbia Island, through the Pentagon, then take Army Navy Drive to 4MR near Shirlington. Or cut through Crystal City and head south depending on where you are going. I avoid that stretch of the MVT like the plague even though it is only 2 miles away from where I live. Total chaos there.

5. Likes CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seconded on the avoidance of the MVT between 14th St Bridge and Four Mile Run, except I prefer to use the following route: Columbia Island -> LBJ Grove -> Boundary Channel Dr -> Connector Rd -> Eads St (I love the protected bike lane) -> Glebe Rd (only 1 block) -> Route 1 sidewalk (half a block) -> 4MR as shown here: https://goo.gl/maps/pNkf1nN8zkm

You can also go the Boundary Channel Dr -> Long Bridge Dr -> Crystal Dr route, but I find the southbound Crystal Dr bike lane to be awful (though not as bad as the MVT; northbound Crystal Dr bike lane is just fine), so I usually avoid it except on the weekends. For reference, that route is here: https://goo.gl/maps/JcsNvxEo75H2

7. Likes lordofthemark liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Seconded on the avoidance of the MVT between 14th St Bridge and Four Mile Run, except I prefer to use the following route: Columbia Island -> LBJ Grove -> Boundary Channel Dr -> Connector Rd -> Eads St (I love the protected bike lane) -> Glebe Rd (only 1 block) -> Route 1 sidewalk (half a block) -> 4MR as shown here: https://goo.gl/maps/pNkf1nN8zkm

You can also go the Boundary Channel Dr -> Long Bridge Dr -> Crystal Dr route, but I find the southbound Crystal Dr bike lane to be awful (though not as bad as the MVT; northbound Crystal Dr bike lane is just fine), so I usually avoid it except on the weekends. For reference, that route is here: https://goo.gl/maps/JcsNvxEo75H2

The former (the Eads Street route) is generally what I have done when wanting to avoid the MVT. I would note though, that the right turn from the right lane on east bound Glebe, to the sidewalk, can be a little awkward. That route will be much better when the Arlington side 4MRT reopens from Eads west (well at least for those of us headed to Shirlington).

I took Crystal Drive on Tuesday, which gave me the chance to stop at the farmers' market. The high level of parking turnover makes it one of the least useful door zone bike lanes I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I have been meaning to try the Columbia Island/Pentagon/Army Navy route for a while and I am glad others recommend it. I have done the MVT/Washington Blvd/Pentagon route before and don't like the bumpiness of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post

Ooh, I didn't know about "Connector Rd". Gotta try it sometime, though I no longer commute to DC.

As for the 2nd route, the answer is "Behind The Buildings". The disadvantage is Crystal Dr. turning into a 1-way northbound, but I sneak into the bus lane to get around that.

Post Thanks / Like

Wound up taking the long way when the Wright Gate (by Iwo Jima Memorial) was inexplicably closed at 5:45pm this afternoon. Taking the route 50 "bike trail" from there into central Arlington was an adventure. It sucks at the best of times, but now has a stretch that's closed requiring you (I guess) to ride on route 50 between Pershing and the Washington Blvd exit ramp. Luckily if cross with the light and you haul it you can stay ahead of traffic until you're back on the trail. Of course, that trail tries to kill you repeatedly from there west, so it's not that much of an improvement. (I guess you could go into the neighborhood and pick your way west, but there's no marked detour).

It is shameful that Bike Arlington labels that nightmare an "off street trail" and colors it green on the comfort map when it crosses blind-curve exit ramps from a 50mph highway (along with a host of other problems). It's just a matter of time till someone gets killed on that stretch of "trail".

12. Likes scoot, lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alcova cyclist View Post
    Wound up taking the long way when the Wright Gate (by Iwo Jima Memorial) was inexplicably closed at 5:45pm this afternoon. Taking the route 50 "bike trail" from there into central Arlington was an adventure. It sucks at the best of times, but now has a stretch that's closed requiring you (I guess) to ride on route 50 between Pershing and the Washington Blvd exit ramp. Luckily if cross with the light and you haul it you can stay ahead of traffic until you're back on the trail. Of course, that trail tries to kill you repeatedly from there west, so it's not that much of an improvement. (I guess you could go into the neighborhood and pick your way west, but there's no marked detour).

It is shameful that Bike Arlington labels that nightmare an "off street trail" and colors it green on the comfort map when it crosses blind-curve exit ramps from a 50mph highway (along with a host of other problems). It's just a matter of time till someone gets killed on that stretch of "trail".
    I've been doing this instead: https://www.strava.com/activities/968219599/

Stay on Pershing, cross Washington and then left on Fillmore (first light after Washington). There's a bike path through the neighborhood that puts you out right at 50 and Washington Blvd. it's slightly longer but very pleasant.

14. Likes Alcova cyclist liked this post