Page 175 of 182 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1818

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    On the Friday commute home, I was pleasantly surprised - an asphalt path just north of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial has been converted to gravel. There are quite a few old lamp post bases along the path there, and they really blended in with the black path surface. Now they stand out nicely against the bright gravel!
    Agreed, just glad I survived the shock of the first ride onto it at speed not knowing it was gravel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Expletives were used. Sometimes you just need to give up and not worry about keeping any part of your body dry.
    Look, it's a preview for the I-66 Custis Trail Expansion!

3. Likes KWL, dasgeh, Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Expletives were used. Sometimes you just need to give up and not worry about keeping any part of your body dry.
    I thought I was being oh so smart by leaving work early to 'beat the storm,' only to be hit with what felt like needles and pins all the way across the 14th St bridge.
    Those shoes are gonna need a couple days outside the house to unstinkify and dry.
    But still beats metro!!

5. Likes dasgeh, KWL, notinthe18, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last night while riding home I saw a HUGE group of cyclists under the bridge at Jones Point Park. They caught up with me at the red when I was waiting to cross the apartment complex crossing on the MVT going south.

3-5 of them passed me at Belle Haven Park, but since I was going the same pace as the group, and it was a somewhat crowded trail, no one else could pass even though I gave them as much space as I could. This meant I got to infiltrate their group ride, although since it wasn't freezing saddles, no points for me . They exited at Tulane with me before veering off, and as a bonus, there were SO MANY of them the cars actually stopped to let them all cross.

I asked one of them what ride I was now on, and they told me it was Getting It In hills ride. I looked them up--they seem like a nice group, and most of the cyclists were polite and signaled their intentions on the trail so that was cool. My neighborhood has a ton of organized hill rides, so it's not uncommon to see large groups of cyclists out and about. This was just my first time accidentally getting caught in one of their rides. Now I have a bunch of people on strava I "rode" with, which makes me laugh.

7. Likes Sunyata, Rod Smith, Steve O, Judd, KLizotte and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Last night while riding home I saw a HUGE group of cyclists under the bridge at Jones Point Park. They caught up with me at the red when I was waiting to cross the apartment complex crossing on the MVT going south.

3-5 of them passed me at Belle Haven Park, but since I was going the same pace as the group, and it was a somewhat crowded trail, no one else could pass even though I gave them as much space as I could. This meant I got to infiltrate their group ride, although since it wasn't freezing saddles, no points for me . They exited at Tulane with me before veering off, and as a bonus, there were SO MANY of them the cars actually stopped to let them all cross.

I asked one of them what ride I was now on, and they told me it was Getting It In hills ride. I looked them up--they seem like a nice group, and most of the cyclists were polite and signaled their intentions on the trail so that was cool. My neighborhood has a ton of organized hill rides, so it's not uncommon to see large groups of cyclists out and about. This was just my first time accidentally getting caught in one of their rides. Now I have a bunch of people on strava I "rode" with, which makes me laugh.
    The GII folks have a Meetup group if you're interested in deliberately riding with them. They have a safety yellow group kit too. They also seem to do group rides at HP and I see smaller groups of them sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

As I was coming over Memorial Bridge last night, I could see sheets of rain over Rosslyn and headed my way, so I hurried across, and then took a breather under the big oak tree next to the park bench just south of the bridge. A pleasant place to watch the showers pass, and stay somewhat dry. Thanks, tree.

After a few minutes, I looked down and noticed a used syringe on the ground next to my foot. I know this bench is a popular spot for cyclists and runners take a break, stretch, and fix a mechanical issues, so for safety's sake, I thought I should mention it here.
    Last edited by EasyRider; 07-25-2017 at 12:18 PM.

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday's evening commute was almost a perfect spa day commute as I got soaked in the rain then dried when the sun came back out.

The weather provided for me:
    - refreshing rainwater shower
    - steamy hot sauna
    - pretty rainbow sighting

All that was missing:
    - relaxing massage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes Steve O, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As I was coming over Memorial Bridge last night, I could see sheets of rain over Rosslyn and headed my way, so I hurried across, and then took a breather under the big oak tree next to the park bench just south of the bridge. A pleasant place to watch the showers pass, and stay somewhat dry. Thanks, tree.

After a few minutes, I looked down and noticed a used syringe on the ground next to my foot. I know this bench is a popular spot for cyclists and runners take a break, stretch, and fix a mechanical issues, so for safety's sake, I thought I should mention it here.
    I saw that too!

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

After a few minutes, I looked down and noticed a used syringe on the ground next to my foot. I know this bench is a popular spot for cyclists and runners take a break, stretch, and shoot up some EPO
    ftfy

15. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

EPO Is for wimps. I go straight to a mix of speed and local anesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    ftfy