Likes Likes:  2,009
Dislikes Dislikes:  38
ELITE ELITE:  125
Page 186 of 188 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188 LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 1876

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

What was the recommended route between 236 and the Wakefield Park ped bridge?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    I have not been there in almost 4 years, but I used to take Americana Drive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Here's the route I got into the habit of taking: https://goo.gl/maps/mgKoTzuwkrB2

It's confusing, and you'll likely need to pull out your phone to check your position the first few times, but you'll avoid any sketchy areas. You'll be able to grab a good lane position on Heritage Dr when approaching Little River Turnpike, and you'll avoid the narrow and steep hills next to parked cars on Americana Drive (I didn't like riding on it).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Here's the route I got into the habit of taking: https://goo.gl/maps/mgKoTzuwkrB2
    Thanks. I didn't realize there were bike lanes on Heritage now also. On the whole it looks more comfortable than Americana.

The door-zone bike lanes north of Patriot, as shown on StreetView, do look terrible though. A road diet would have been a much better choice. It's hard to believe that Heritage Dr would need four car lanes, since traffic levels will so obviously be limited by the throughput of the intersection at LRT anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I hit a dubious milestone on my evening commute today: I logged my first car-on-trail sighting. Around 8:15 p.m., I turned onto the Alexandria section of 4MRT, by the Toyota dealership, and saw a car on the trail in front of me. It was a gray or blue BMW sedan with what looked to be Maryland flag plates, although it was too dark for me to see the plate number. The driver was nearly to Route 1 at that point. When he saw me, he quickly put his car into reverse, backed up all the way to Commonwealth Ave., and took off.

Today's commute made me wish I was running a front camera -- not only to capture video of this sadly confused driver, but also to document the much nicer parts of today's ride, like the flybys that I had with Josh and birru.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the cutest attempt at being CAT6'd on the way home. Cycling 4MRT by the disc golf course, a kid coming towards me, quickly flipped direction and tried to keep ahead of me. Spinning for all he could, looking back to see if he was beating me or not (bit of a smirk on his face too). While he was pedaling much faster than I was, his wheels were way too small to outrun me. He looked maybe 7 years old.
    I told him he was a great cyclist, but his wheels were too small, today.

Post Thanks / Like

While riding on the Burke-Gilman Trail yesterday (not part of my normal commute, but I was headed to the Cascade Bicycle Club HQ for a class), I saw a rider ahead of me who was cruising around 15-20 mph suddenly turn sharply to the right and almost into a ditch (more like halfway into).

Seeing this ahead of me, I pulled over to see if he was hurt. He seemed to be fussing with the right pant leg of his shorts, almost like a loose thread had gotten wrapped around the right pedal.

When I asked him what was wrong, he said that a bee had flown up his shorts and that he had panicked in trying to get it out.

Happy Spring, everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post

When I asked him what was wrong, he said that a bee had flown up his shorts and that he had panicked in trying to get it out.

Happy Spring, everyone!
    This is exactly why I prefer lycra shorts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    [bees]
    This is exactly why I prefer lycra shorts.
    this:

Post Thanks / Like

Honeybee hitchhiked on my inner forearm the other day for a couple hundred yards until I could find a bush to brush it on to. It was pulsing a bit and every time, it's stinger would just touch my arm. It wouldn't fly off. I asked if it was okay, but it ignored me; at least it didn't get angry.