Likes Likes:  2,082
Dislikes Dislikes:  38
ELITE ELITE:  125
Page 60 of 193 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford10 View Post
    ... is looking like it will involve wet feet. Everything else is dry but the wool socks, shoes and shoe covers. Sigh.
    I use plastic grocery bags between the shoe and show covers, feet will stay dry for a few hours

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford10 View Post
    ... is looking like it will involve wet feet. Everything else is dry but the wool socks, shoes and shoe covers. Sigh.
    Do you have hand dryers at your office (or better yet, on another floor that you don't know anyone else on)? I find that you can dry out socks, gloves, shoe covers and even make a dent on drying shoes in not too much time...

Post Thanks / Like

Note: running the 1200 watt dryer on a continuous cycle will cancel out any green cred from the bike ride. :-D

4. 02-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Reason
    stupid tapatalk and bad connectivity

Occasionally Arlington, VA. But mainly in Lima, Peru.
    Post Thanks / Like

Fun commute, I suppose. Got exciting at times... and I feel a little guilty for bailing on my planned Hains Point lap, but for once it wasn't just laziness...

Post Thanks / Like

After I got home tonight I put on my flannel PJ's to get all cozy and warm...but just now, still wearing (only) the PJ's, I took my bike out to the backyard to clean the chain and rims, sand the brake pads and clean the muck off of my bike, and then lubed everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Winds are shifting during the day and are forecast to be from the South this evening. Thereby possibly giving me the Holy Grail of bike commuting, tailwinds in both directions.
    Last edited by Crickey7; 02-03-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the concerns. After that moment of wet feet panic, I did try harder to get the sock and shoes to dry using a little heater and some more attention (moving them around ever 30 minutes or so). While I would love to have an extra pair of socks at work, I only have three pairs of wool socks! I can't spare a pair! Apparently, my water-resistant clothing only goes so far to keep me dry. I believe my tights were funneling water into(!) my shoes. Wool is very nice, but plastic dries much faster.

The ride home was gorgeous and the socks were only slightly damp. It was the first time in a long time I didn't see any slush or ice on the trails in Fairfax or Falls Church!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Winds are shifting during the day and are forecast to be from the South this evening. Thereby possibly giving me the Holy Grail of bike commuting, tailwinds in both directions.
    Or if you're me, the seemingly inevitable bike commuting situation - headwinds in both directions. :-\ I shouldn't grumble, though... at least I had the wind mostly at my back last night. I felt a deep sympathy for those people I passed who were heading north on the MVT last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcv View Post
    I use plastic grocery bags between the shoe and show covers, feet will stay dry for a few hours
    And if you do this for long enough, you can be giving the rebuttal to the State of the Union address.

Post Thanks / Like

I intend on wearing shorts this evening. Light jacket. Sunglasses. I'm going to imagine its April.