Page 180 of 182 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182 LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 1817

Thread: My Evening Commute

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    So what is the secret? Enquiring minds, you know.

My secret is to pick up a stick to use so you don't get grease all over your hands. Is that it?
    Spin the pedals and give the front derailleur an upshift. Many times a dropped chain can be fixed without even getting off the bike.

2. Likes streetsmarts, consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Spin the pedals and give the front derailleur an upshift. Many times a dropped chain can be fixed without even getting off the bike.
    Oh yeah, I learned that one for while you're still riding when it just dropped. But when it's a done deal and the chain is on the frame and you're stopped, I never seem to have enough hands to lift the bike, shift, and spin the pedals.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    So what is the secret? Enquiring minds, you know.

My secret is to pick up a stick to use so you don't get grease all over your hands. Is that it?
    Okay, two secrets, then.
    1) I carry the little plastic/latex food-service/medical gloves in my saddle bag for grease avoidance. I did not have to tell him this secret, since it was observable.

2) Shift the rear derailleur so that it is aligned with the chain ring the chain is on. You may need to move the front derailleur, too, depending.
    You can then spin the chain on backwards; no need to lift the bike.
    It is virtually always the case that the derailleur is not aligned, since the chain usually drops when shifting--or in the process of trying to get the chain back on, the derailleur has been shifted. You can't spin the pedals backwards if the rear derailleur is not lined up with the correct chain ring on the cassette.

In his case his front derailleur was on the inside as was the chain, so no need to change that. His rear derailleur was off by only one click, so I clicked it over, reached down with my gloved hand, grabbed the chain just behind and below the crank, put it on a couple of teeth and turned the pedal. Voila!

5. Likes streetsmarts, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At the Shreve/Virginia intersection

7. Likes Starduster, Crickey7, ronwalf, Sunyata, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anybody see who was at the Navy-Merchant Marine Memorial about 5 pm today? I rode by and there was a full protective detail (well dressed in dark suits without umbrellas) surrounding the memorial.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy on a modded bike with a motor decided to tail me eastbound on the W&OD just after Route 50 at around 6pm. I couldn't discern quickly what was going on until he was right on my wheel and I was just about to pass a man with a child on his trailer and I realized the danger of it all. I let him pass and he then proceed going 25mph+ on a crowded trail leaving behind lots of exhaust. I reached him at Columbia Pike when he crossed to Four Mile Run without stopping and took the street instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by semperiden View Post
    Guy on a modded bike with a motor decided to tail me eastbound on the W&OD just after Route 50 at around 6pm. I couldn't discern quickly what was going on until he was right on my wheel and I was just about to pass a man with a child on his trailer and I realized the danger of it all. I let him pass and he then proceed going 25mph+ on a crowded trail leaving behind lots of exhaust. I reached him at Columbia Pike when he crossed to Four Mile Run without stopping and took the street instead.
    No helmet? I saw said douchebag on the MVT near Gravelly Point. Ebikes are one thing, but I draw the line at chainsaw power heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    No helmet? I saw said douchebag on the MVT near Gravelly Point. Ebikes are one thing, but I draw the line at chainsaw power heads.
    Yes. No helmet. Brown leatherish jacket. I didn't know what to do, was not expecting something like that on a MUP. Specially during rush hour

Post Thanks / Like

I may have seen this guy on the four mile run trail near bluemont park a couple weeks back. It was either a modded bike or a moped and was ridden pretty fast the part where I saw him.

Post Thanks / Like

Red frame with a 2 stroke motor? He passed me opposite direction late last summer on the MVT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk