Likes Likes:  2,009
Dislikes Dislikes:  38
ELITE ELITE:  125
Page 188 of 188 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188
Results 1,871 to 1,876 of 1876

Thread: My Evening Commute

  1. #1871
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,442
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Not wanting to trudge through mud to Carlin Springs,
    We really need to build that little connector trail from the W&OD to Carlin Springs. I vote we call it the "Jay Fisette spurt".

    In the future, if you're on Carlin Springs at Kensington/where the W&OD connector *should* be, you can just take Kensington to get to the Bluemont, like in this map.

  2. #1872
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MoCo
    Posts
    965
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Decisions, decisions. The front light died on the way in this morning. So, do I: risk spontaneous combustion by riding before sunset cools off the outside, or ride after sunset, and risk not seeing/being seen from the frontal direction, and associated injury and death?

  3. #1873
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    869
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Decisions, decisions. The front light died on the way in this morning. So, do I: risk spontaneous combustion by riding before sunset cools off the outside, or ride after sunset, and risk not seeing/being seen from the frontal direction, and associated injury and death?
    Based on yesterday when it was about 90 when I left the office around 5:00 and 86 when I took the trash out in the dark at about 8:15, but without specific knowledge as to your spontaneous combustion point, I would recommend riding in the daylight.

  4. Likes Steve O liked this post
  5. #1874
    lordofthemark's Avatar
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    3,012
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Based on yesterday when it was about 90 when I left the office around 5:00 and 86 when I took the trash out in the dark at about 8:15, but without specific knowledge as to your spontaneous combustion point, I would recommend riding in the daylight.
    I generally spontaneously combust after about the fifth time someone posts to NextDoor that someone who is afraid to walk on a narrow sidewalk, protected by only a one foot wide verge from traffic going 38MPH or higher, "should take Prozac". Keep me off certain parts of the net, or away from flammable materials.

  6. #1875
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I generally spontaneously combust after about the fifth time someone posts to NextDoor that someone who is afraid to walk on a narrow sidewalk, protected by only a one foot wide verge from traffic going 38MPH or higher, "should take Prozac". Keep me off certain parts of the net, or away from flammable materials.
    I'm pretty sure nextdoor is where people go when they're done commenting on wapo bike articles.

  7. Likes secstate, streetsmarts liked this post
  8. #1876
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The short days and no moon makes it pretty dark on the W&OD especially in areas without streetlights. Near Reston I slowed as I saw a flash of color moving in the opposite lane. As I got closer I could identify 5 people all in dark clothing spread across the trail. One person was pushing a stroller with a child up the center line of the trail. Behind and to the right walked a man holding a child. On the left was the 4 year old child meandering up the middle of the left lane. Fortunately the 4 year old's coat had some color as I picked up on it well before the others were revealed. Usually joggers have shoes with refection but these people were in dark colors head to toe. I usually ring my bell as I get close to this area because of the trail intersections but the warnings produced no visible reaction. Even the brake squeal as I slowed down didn't phase them. When I got a few feet behind the meandering child in the passing lane they finally begrudgingly collected the family to one side of the trail so I could pass. This ninja family was a stark contrast to the joggers lit up like Christmas trees that I usually see.

  9. Likes ursus liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •