Likes Likes:  2,036
Dislikes Dislikes:  38
ELITE ELITE:  125
Page 190 of 190 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190
Results 1,891 to 1,896 of 1896

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    So is this something that can happen with tubeless tires? I've never seen anything like that on old-timey clinchers with tubes. I've had a sidewall blow out, but that becomes a flat really fast.
    From what I've read on the Internets, I think by construct tubeless tires are more susceptible to something like this happening "early" in the tires life where it should be covered by warranty.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I had my first ever completely aborted commute today which was sad. But I am really grateful that bikes can go on metro, and that DASH buses have bike racks.

While leaving work, I noticed this massive inch or so long bulge before I even left the parking garage. I immediately got off the bike and took the metro and bus home. It was screeching so loud against the frame while I walked the bike through the Pentagon metro/bus bay that I deflated the tire almost completely so I wouldn't have it burst and cause an "incident".

How on earth does something like this happen? The tire was already pretty chewed up and having issues sealing up all it's punctures (thanks DC streets!), so I had already ordered a new tire and planned to get it installed Friday. So timing wise this isn't the end of the world, but it's definitely frustrating.
    This happened to me with an old Maxxis Ignitor (29" x 2.1). It was pretty used up so I tossed the tire. Saw some writeups about the same thing:
    https://www.utahmountainbiking.com/f...t-failures.htm
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...rs-608641.html
    Last edited by drevil; 07-03-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    From what I've read on the Internets, I think by construct tubeless tires are more susceptible to something like this happening "early" in the tires life where it should be covered by warranty.
    I don't think you can get this kind of a failure on a tire with a tube--it looks like a delamination, and a very small pinhole on the inside layer. A tube wouldn't be able to squeeze through the pinhole and then into the space between the layers.

4. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    I don't think you can get this kind of a failure on a tire with a tube--it looks like a delamination, and a very small pinhole on the inside layer. A tube wouldn't be able to squeeze through the pinhole and then into the space between the layers.
    I agree. I didn't dissect my tire like others did in those links in my previous post, but I thought the same when it happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    I agree. I didn't dissect my tire like others did in those links in my previous post, but I thought the same when it happened.
    I think it is highly unlikely with a tube, but it is possible. (Happened to me as a kid; bike was stored under the porch for a few weeks in the heat and the inner layer delaminated enough to let the tube poke through and bulge out.)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    I think it is highly unlikely with a tube, but it is possible. (Happened to me as a kid; bike was stored under the porch for a few weeks in the heat and the inner layer delaminated enough to let the tube poke through and bulge out.)
    Well, I've learned something new about tire hernias.