Page 142 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 1817

Thread: My Evening Commute

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    wring it out?
    I was half-joking because before SafeTrack Surge #3 I was riding home nonstop. The Halos' sweat management is just enough for my 1-hr evening ride - no deadly waterfall of sweat right over my eyes, but just enough sweat trickling on the sides to make the end of the ride a bit less comfortable. But I think they'll serve their purpose of reducing the wear and tear on my tech cycling cap - which is works just as well as either Halo - now that I have a rotation going.

I've started stopping though at an exercise station along Potomac Ave/Main Line Trail. That's a good place to wring out whatever wringable headgear I'm wearing and hang on my bike to dry a bit while I use the exercise station.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike traffic

Anyone get stuck in "bike traffic" lately? A few years ago, I would have laughed at the possibility but riding across the 14th St Bridge and Mt Vernon Trail, my commute has been become pretty crowded in the evenings.

3. Likes annoyedindc, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Anyone get stuck in "bike traffic" lately? A few years ago, I would have laughed at the possibility but riding across the 14th St Bridge and Mt Vernon Trail, my commute has been become pretty crowded in the evenings.
    I'd say I'm more often not alone than alone these days. It's a problem I'm happy to have.

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't help it (I love analysis!), so I looked up the numbers. Here's a quick look at the past couple of days:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chart_07-06-2016.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	12119
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016
    AM Peak: (143) 1 cyclist crossed the counter every 6.29 seconds
    PM Peak: (170) 1 cyclist every 5.29 seconds

Name:	chart_07-07-2016.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	12120
    Thursday, July 7, 2016
    AM Peak: (139) 1 cyclist every 6.47 seconds
    PM Peak: (141) 1 cyclist every 6.38 seconds

Name:	chart_07-08-2016.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	12121
    Friday, July 8, 2016
    AM Peak: (99) 1 cyclist every 9.09 seconds
    PM Peak: (93) 1 cyclist every 9.68 seconds

Name:	chart_07-09-2016_07-10-2016.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	12122
    Saturday, July 10, 2016
    Day Peak: (76) 1 cyclist every 11.84 seconds
    Sunday, July 11, 2016
    Day Peak: (83) 1 cyclist every 10.84 seconds

Name:	chart_07-11-2016.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	12123
    Monday, July 12, 2016
    AM Peak: (145) 1 cyclist every 6.21 seconds
    PM Peak: (163) 1 cyclist every 5.52 seconds

Since the readings were taken every 15 minutes, I averaged the count to calculate the average amount of time between cyclists crossing the counters. (For example, Monday's PM peak was 163 which is ~10.87 cyclists/minute which comes to about 1 cyclist per 5.52 seconds).

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Coming down the Custis in Rosslyn has been a nightmare lately. All it takes is one pedestrian to stop you in your tracks, since there is now a practically uninterrupted stream of riders going up the hill and passing up the middle is too dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Coming down the Custis in Rosslyn has been a nightmare lately. All it takes is one pedestrian to stop you in your tracks, since there is now a practically uninterrupted stream of riders going up the hill and passing up the middle is too dangerous.
    I go in early enough that it's not a problem usually, but for weeks on end they've had cones up around wood and construction materials at several spots, which does narrow the lane a bit and make passing more difficult. I at first assumed these would be for new traffic lights, but they seem to be in some places where lights wouldn't be. Anyone have any idea what this is for and why it's been sitting there for about a month now?

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I go in early enough that it's not a problem usually, but for weeks on end they've had cones up around wood and construction materials at several spots, which does narrow the lane a bit and make passing more difficult. I at first assumed these would be for new traffic lights, but they seem to be in some places where lights wouldn't be. Anyone have any idea what this is for and why it's been sitting there for about a month now?
    Yes. We discussed this at the Arlington BAC meeting. They are for new streetlights (not traffic signals). Evidently a right-hand, left-hand thing. The bike staff didn't know about them until we brought it to their attention. Not clear what the schedule is.

I suggested that they also repair the sidewalk where the snowplow damaged it at Quinn (I actually put in this request in the arlington app months ago) . Evidently that is not going to get a complete repair until the whole intersection is rebuilt. The trails manager said they could go out and smooth it over to make the concrete and asphalt surfaces flat. I hope he follows up.

9. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Yes. We discussed this at the Arlington BAC meeting. They are for new streetlights (not traffic signals). Evidently a right-hand, left-hand thing. The bike staff didn't know about them until we brought it to their attention. Not clear what the schedule is.

I suggested that they also repair the sidewalk where the snowplow damaged it at Quinn (I actually put in this request in the arlington app months ago) . Evidently that is not going to get a complete repair until the whole intersection is rebuilt. The trails manager said they could go out and smooth it over to make the concrete and asphalt surfaces flat. I hope he follows up.
    Thanks. When I reported that sidewalk cut, I got a response saying they would temporarily patch it and that a permanent fix was "possible" (from K. Stalica, Park Service Area Manager/Trails Manager). I was impressed and happy they did the patch so quickly (since it wasn't safe) and figured that there would not likely be the permanent repair (since it's now no worse of a bump than you'd get on any road). Good to have an update.

Streetlights are okay, but it looks like they are going to place them right on the edge of the trail. I mean, sure, you can avoid them plenty of times, but thousands of people thousands of times, and the odds of a collision go up. I would be willing the write with my concern about this should the opportunity present itself.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Thanks. When I reported that sidewalk cut, I got a response saying they would temporarily patch it and that a permanent fix was "possible" (from K. Stalica, Park Service Area Manager/Trails Manager). I was impressed and happy they did the patch so quickly (since it wasn't safe) and figured that there would not likely be the permanent repair (since it's now no worse of a bump than you'd get on any road). Good to have an update.
    I actually think the patch has sunk a little and could use some smoothing. It's in a bad spot and, IMO, needs to be as consistent with the concrete surface as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I actually think the patch has sunk a little and could use some smoothing. It's in a bad spot and, IMO, needs to be as consistent with the concrete surface as possible.
    It's definitely caved in since it was applied. It's not much of an issue heading down the hill (the bad sinky spots are mostly in the oncoming uphill lane) and it's not like too many people can maintain any kind of speed going up that hill! But a smoothing out would help for sure.