Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New shoes for summer!

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was in the UK I was surprised to learn that they have their own sizing system that is different from the US or continental Europe. On the plus side, their men's and women's sizes were the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingfool View Post
    In this case, it's kinda like the metric system and the US is actually the pariah. The shoe sizing system used for clipless is standard continental European (and much of the rest of the world, methinks), so the sizes are actually what the rest of the world is used to.
    This does not explain the fact that cycling shoes in a particular european size are different than other kinds of shoes in a particular european size, or the incredible disparity between cycling shoes at a given european size.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    This does not explain the fact that cycling shoes in a particular european size are different than other kinds of shoes in a particular european size, or the incredible disparity between cycling shoes at a given european size.
    I think it depends on who you ask for sizing conversions. e.g. http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html shows a US M size 13 being somewhere around 47 (and a 14 being 48). That is consistent with my experience in cycling shoes; I tend to get a 48 for the extra width though those are often longer than necessary. In some brands I can comfortably wear a 47.

As for the variation between companies; I haven't found this any more extreme than regular shoes. I think cycling shoes are less forgiving (usually not leather, worth with less tolerance for error, e.g.).

Don't get me wrong; I do wish the situation were better, but I'm not sure cycling clothing is any different from anything other type of clothing. I especially wish that stores stocked more shoe brands and that there were better sizing systems and/or trial programs. I have probably tried a dozen different brands of cycling shoes over the year to arrive at what works. Usually I don't know that a shoe is going to work until I've ridden it for a few hundred miles (at least), long past any reasonable return-to-store level of usage.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    ... I have probably tried a dozen different brands of cycling shoes over the year to arrive at what works. Usually I don't know that a shoe is going to work until I've ridden it for a few hundred miles (at least), long past any reasonable return-to-store level of usage.
    And of course when you do find a shoe model that really works for you, it is discontinued the next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I think it depends on who you ask for sizing conversions. e.g. http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html shows a US M size 13 being somewhere around 47 (and a 14 being 48). That is consistent with my experience in cycling shoes; I tend to get a 48 for the extra width though those are often longer than necessary. In some brands I can comfortably wear a 47.
    I think the width part is the killer--some manufacturers apparently target people with freakishly narrow feet. One of the most egregious examples was the keen commuter bike sandles--for some reason, since it was for bikes, the sandles were like 3/4 the width of any other keen sandle. It would presumably help if the manufacturers reported width in addition to length, but that's seemingly not pro enough.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who measures as a 4E wide, the width issue is big for me. I often have issues with non-cycling shoes that are labeled as being extra wida. Luckily, the Shimano sneaker-style MTB SPD shoes I bought (thanks to some reviews/advice online re: wider feet riders) a few years ago fit me pretty well and have held up to this day.

Thanks for the heads up on the Keen sandals. I have them on a wish list in a wide size. I'll need to make sure if/when they're purchased they come with a generous return policy. Sounds like I'm likely going to need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingfool View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the Keen sandals. I have them on a wish list in a wide size. I'll need to make sure if/when they're purchased they come with a generous return policy. Sounds like I'm likely going to need it.
    Their newer models are supposedly better, but the commuter ii's--I put them on and my foot literally hung over the sides. That seemed to be a fairly common complaint for that line. Here's an article with a before-and-after comparison: http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/08/18/...cling-sandals/ I've mostly given up on the idea of cycling sandals, as I really like my carbon-plate shoes for long rides, and for short rides I can just use regular sandals.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of shoes, I just ordered these: http://dzrshoes.com/kowloon in size 40.

They are gorgeous. They are WAY too small. (Which I knew they would be, but I had to try.) They'd probably fit you well if you wear a size 8 street shoe.

Anybody interested before I ship em back to Cali? $120.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm selling 2 pairs of MTB shoes that are a little too small for me:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...412454703.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...412454414.html

price is negotiable

Where's a good shop to go to try out MTB shoes? Ideally somewhere with a medium/large selection and reasonable prices. And yes, I know about the internet; already tried it twice w/out much luck (see items for sale above). Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shoe size

I know nothing about biking but I plan on buying bike shoes for a friend of mine this summer. His foot length is 11.6 inches and has pretty wide feet. I don't know how sizing for bike shoes work so what do you guys think will suit him best?