Likes Likes:  41
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety and the WOD: a Survey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arlingtonrider View Post
    My emphasis was on education for all users rather than limits.
    Hear! Hear! Arlingtonrider for Mayor of the W&OD!

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried to emphasize issues with cars (intersections, car drivers on the trail).

The W&OD is wider than the MVT, so in my limited riding there, I don't see as many issues as I do on the MVT.

Post Thanks / Like

You all raise excellent points. Apparently, there will be a trail safety workshop on April 11 to discuss the survey results. Some folks from FABB have been invited. I would encourage you to make comments either in the comment box on the survey, via their feedback email address, as I did, or at a minimum, through your local officials who will be at the workshop.

For my part, I told them it's time to separate pedestrians and cyclists a la the Netherlands:

Name:  SAM_5015.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  57.3 KB

Liz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post

For my part, I told them it's time to separate pedestrians and cyclists a la the Netherlands:

Name:  SAM_5015.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  57.3 KB

Liz

That was my ultimate suggestion as well. In Toronto, along Lakeshore Blvd, there are two separate paths, one for cyclists, and one for everyone else. It is a great idea to prevent conflicts between those different groups of trail users.

Post Thanks / Like

Separating bikes and peds won't make it any easier to take, e.g., kids on bikes on the trail on a nice Saturday. At some point people just need to be more considerate. OTOH, I don't know how you enforce that.

One thing that should be emphasized is that, perceptions and comfort aside, the W&OD is remarkably safe. (Suggesting that draconian enforcement isn't necessary anyway.)

Post Thanks / Like

Do any of the people who ride with cameras have crazy ivan clips we could assemble for nvrpa?

It would also be nice to get some pedestrian footage of being passed silently, by being yelled at, and with a bell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Do any of the people who ride with cameras have crazy ivan clips we could assemble for nvrpa?

It would also be nice to get some pedestrian footage of being passed silently, by being yelled at, and with a bell.
    Yes, I have all of that but I'm not going to spend hours and hours editing video footage because, according to nvrpa rules, I ride a dangerous and illegal motor vehicle on the path :-(

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that question 7- "Do you come to a full stop at intersection crossings?" Is going to come back to haunt us. "90% of daily bike commuters responded that they blow through intersections". At the very least that one needed to be two questions: 1. Do you stop at lighted or major intersections and 2. Do you stop at the 50+ tiny crossings.

My other issue is similar to what Bob mentioned- trail capacity and usage is hugely dependent on timing: what's safe and appropriate for a commuter at 6am in February is not at all the same thing for a rider at 2pm during Cherry Blossom season. Circumstances result in the appropriate response, not enforcement of arbitrary laws.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuyContinental View Post
    I suspect that question 7- "Do you come to a full stop at intersection crossings?" Is going to come back to haunt us. "90% of daily bike commuters responded that they blow through intersections". At the very least that one needed to be two questions: 1. Do you stop at lighted or major intersections and 2. Do you stop at the 50+ tiny crossings.

My other issue is similar to what Bob mentioned- trail capacity and usage is hugely dependent on timing: what's safe and appropriate for a commuter at 6am in February is not at all the same thing for a rider at 2pm during Cherry Blossom season. Circumstances result in the appropriate response, not enforcement of arbitrary laws.
    That is why I suggest that everyone reply that they come to a complete stop. Otherwise, the survey will be used to say that 90% of cyclists are scofflaws.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjclaeys View Post
    That is why I suggest that everyone reply that they come to a complete stop. Otherwise, the survey will be used to say that 90% of cyclists are scofflaws.
    Then they'll just say that most cyclists don't have a problem with stopping, so harsher enforcement against the tiny minority who have a problem with foot down stopping at empty crossings is reasonable. There's no good answer to that question, and no good reason to ask it.
    Last edited by mstone; 03-14-2014 at 09:30 AM.