Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Bike to Work Day Registration Is Open

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    I think I may have to leave early this year and head out west before going to Freedom Plaza. No one said the stops had to actually be on your way to work, right?
    You wanna come out to help lead in Convoy #4 from Providence Rec Center?

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    You wanna come out to help lead in Convoy #4 from Providence Rec Center?
    Where is that? Would have to negotiate kid drop-off duty, but with a couple months lead time that shoudln't be a problem. Sounds like fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Any Maryland-ers interested in a BTWD convoy to visit a few pit stops in the area? I'll be in between summer sessions so should have all day to just cruise around! PM or reply here! If there's enough interest, we can start our own thread.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Where is that? Would have to negotiate kid drop-off duty, but with a couple months lead time that shoudln't be a problem. Sounds like fun.
    Its just onside the beltway off rte 50 between falls church and annandale. I was kinda joking but I'd love the company if you want to haul all the way out here for a 630 departure and roll with newbies back to dc

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    Its just onside the beltway off rte 50 between falls church and annandale. I was kinda joking but I'd love the company if you want to haul all the way out here for a 630 departure and roll with newbies back to dc
    I could probably make this work if you need someone to sweep.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I just realized I scheduled some training out in Reston that day, so I'll be hitting the stops westbound along the W&OD.

Post Thanks / Like

My strategy is to get my t - shirt at a pit stop that has short lines for them, then to move on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Reston Pit Stop Change

Why was the Reston pit stop changed? The new location is not nearly as safe for inexperienced riders, which this event tends to attract. As an semi-experienced rider, I would not recommend that a new rider ride on the Wiehle Ave/Sunset Hills Rd. intersection. There is too much construction, no designated bike lanes, and the drivers are extremely aggressive there. This decision does not appear to take this into account and should have left the location at the Reston Town Center, a much safer, more convenient location to host a pit stop. I'm pretty disappointed about this change when all other pit stops are usually right along the trails.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckolas View Post
    Why was the Reston pit stop changed? The new location is not nearly as safe for inexperienced riders, which this event tends to attract. As an semi-experienced rider, I would not recommend that a new rider ride on the Wiehle Ave/Sunset Hills Rd. intersection. There is too much construction, no designated bike lanes, and the drivers are extremely aggressive there. This decision does not appear to take this into account and should have left the location at the Reston Town Center, a much safer, more convenient location to host a pit stop. I'm pretty disappointed about this change when all other pit stops are usually right along the trails.
    You'd probably have to check with the event organizers and send them an email. However, FWIW, that location seems okay to me and I'm guessing that the BTWD folks are simply doing the best they can with the options available to them. The location you mention is pretty darn close to the trail (500 feet) and there's a decently wide sidewalk, so riders won't need to use the road. Sure, it's not as good as if it were right on the trail, but Reston Town Center doesn't seem to be any better in that regard, since it requires riders to leave the trail and ride on roads. Also, I wouldn't say "all" the other stops are on the trails. I would actually say stops on the trails are the exception and not the rule, since the trails only run through a limited number of areas. All that's not to say you're question is not legitimate, but it's also important to recognize that BTWD is a huge undertaking and it's going to involve some compromises, particularly since so many variables are completely out of the BTWD staff's control.