Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Roosevelt Island Parking Area Modifications

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    The path was auto-deleted on Google Map Maker. I tried to fix it, but the edit was rejected. I reported it to Google and was told that the Route 110 Trail should be designated like any other road that has a parallel sidepath, i.e., with the road marked in green and no separate line for the trail.*

I am trying to get this fixed (have a thread on the Google Map Maker site, and made an edit), but it seems that the best-case scenario will leave the map showing that segment of Marshall Dr in green, segment of Jefferson Davis Highway in green, and a trail running around the on-ramp from Memorial Ave.

* - I understand that Google wants its maps to be clean and free of extraneous lines, but this policy makes finding safe bicycling routes very unintuitive. For example, roads with parallel trails show the exact same as those with bike lanes which are not the same especially when planning routes for children and those with less confidence.
    Interesting on regular Google maps that is still shown as a trail.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The path was auto-deleted on Google Map Maker. I tried to fix it, but the edit was rejected. I reported it to Google and was told that the Route 110 Trail should be designated like any other road that has a parallel sidepath, i.e., with the road marked in green and no separate line for the trail.*
    But, that's not even true. E.g., https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8765.../data=!5m1!1e3 There are both route 50 and FFX county parkway, with side paths quite clearly separate. And then there's a green line down the middle of 50 on the other side because they arbitrarily decided that was different. I think mostly they just aren't that concerned about the needs of cyclists planning routes.
    Last edited by mstone; 02-23-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Interesting on regular Google maps that is still shown as a trail.
    It shows as missing when I look at Google maps. Can you post a screenshot of how it's displaying for you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Actually, I saw this and was encouraged that they acknowledge that the trails are used for commuting.
    I'm just a "glass half empty" kind of guy.

5. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It shows as missing when I look at Google maps. Can you post a screenshot of how it's displaying for you?
    Here's the link. I don't know how to get a screen shot onto this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they applied my edits, and it's now possible to get directions from the Netherlands Carillon to the ANC Metro. I will now see if I can get a trail connection to the on-ramp curve, but these pics show the update:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Route110Trail.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	13951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Route110TrailDirections.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	13952

Here's the link. I don't know how to get a screen shot onto this forum.
    Your link goes to the Route 27 (Washington Blvd) Trail, not the Route 110 (Jefferson Davis Highway) Trail.

8. Likes kwarkentien, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they applied my edits, and it's now possible to get directions from the Netherlands Carillon to the ANC Metro. I will now see if I can get a trail connection to the on-ramp curve, but these pics show the update:

Name:	Route110Trail.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	13951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Route110TrailDirections.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	13952

Your link goes to the Route 27 (Washington Blvd) Trail, not the Route 110 (Jefferson Davis Highway) Trail.
    Just move the map up a little, it's live, not a screen shot. The line color shows it as a trail vs on road bike lane.

Post Thanks / Like

Just move the map up a little, it's live, not a screen shot. The line color shows it as a trail vs on road bike lane.
    I think I figured out what you meant, and that is a small segment of the Route 27 Trail showing as not bicycle-suitable (strange). I just submitted an edit to fill that gap. Once it is accepted, it should start showing as green (bike/ped suitable) instead of brown (only pedestrian suitable).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    The detour has not been opened as of this morning. Freezing Saddles Neon Green™ runoff barriers have been laid where the realigned trail crossing would be under Alternative 1. It is fascinating to see this project unfold.
    I noticed that as I passed through this morning - it's all starting to make sense now!

Post Thanks / Like

Or they could just close it off with no advance warning or provision for alternate route. Had to turn right and go two miles to the next open crossing. Grrrr.

Name:	DSCN1641[1].jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	13980