Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Roosevelt Island Parking Area Modifications

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    What I saw closely mirrors Alternative 4, which is listed as "dismissed" in the NPS powerpoint, so maybe it is a temporary mulch trail. I suppose time will tell.
    It looks like the detour was positioned so the permanent trail could be constructed as shown in Alternative 3, with the trail running between the parking lot and the Potomac. I guess we'll find out in a few days.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Likes kwarkentien, ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the nice thing is we're all very prepared what with NPS being SO communicative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    It looks like the detour was positioned so the permanent trail could be constructed as shown in Alternative 3, with the trail running between the parking lot and the Potomac. I guess we'll find out in a few days.
    I will be absolutely astounded if they are building anything other than Alt 1.

Post Thanks / Like

This is part of my daily commute, so I know the area intimately. In all honesty, so long as it continues to be such a densely traveled part of the MVT in terms of pedestrians and equally narrow, I wouldn't be surprised if cyclists continue to opt to ride through the parking lot rather than mix with all of that.

To that end, even just repaving the parking lot would be great! It's in pretty rough shape. I'm sure the cars are confused by the pathing the bikes choose through the lot, but its to avoid the worse breaks in the pavement!

As for the wood chips, well, I'll give it a few days... but if it gets to be too much of a pain (or a hazardous no-go in the dark as I'm using going through there at night and there's no light in that lot) I'll take a different bridge than Rooselvet...

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if the detour was in place this morning? I usually go that way in the afternoons, but between getting mulched with my 23s and going through Georgetown, I'll take Georgetown.

Post Thanks / Like

As of this morning, it sounds like the contractors have not been given the notice to proceed yet, as there is still some decision making to be made about the parking lot. No other details are currently available.

8. Likes KWL, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Parking lot will be closed starting next week.

From WTOP.

Along with realigning the trail, the park service is raising and widening it, as well as putting new curbs and gutters in the parking lot, the park service said in a statement.

Pedestrians will still be able to get to the island, and bicyclists on the Mount Vernon Trail will be able to use a detour to get around the construction, the park service said.

10. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The full press release:

WASHINGTON – On March 1, the National Park Service (NPS) will begin a project to repave the parking lot and re-align the Mount Vernon Trail at Theodore Roosevelt Island. To ensure visitor safety, the parking lot will be closed until the project’s completion, expected to be late spring. Pedestrians will have access to the island throughout the project, and cyclists can bypass construction via a short detour on the Mount Vernon Trail.

In addition to re-aligning the Mount Vernon Trail, the NPS will raise the trail slightly and widen it in places. The parking lot will have new curbs and gutters for better water drainage.

Mount Vernon Trail users accessing the trail by car should use the parking lots at Daingerfield Island and Columbia Island, or consider nearby public parking options. The closest parking to Theodore Roosevelt Island is in Rosslyn, a 15-minute walk from the Island.

Mount Vernon Trail is an 18-mile paved multi-use trail stretching from George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate to Theodore Roosevelt Island. The trail is a hub for recreational activity and connects with regional trails including the Potomac Heritage, Custis, Rock Creek, Four Mile Run, and Woodrow Wilson Bridge trails.

National parks in the national capital region provide exceptional outdoor trail experiences that help people enjoy nature and history, while providing safe and enjoyable opportunities for people to walk, run, bike, commute and have fun with friends and family.

12. Likes wheels&wings, Tania, KWL, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The detour has not been opened as of this morning. Freezing Saddles Neon Green™ runoff barriers have been laid where the realigned trail crossing would be under Alternative 1. It is fascinating to see this project unfold.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

14. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    The full press release:

WASHINGTON – ... The trail is a hub for recreational activity and connects with regional trails including the Potomac Heritage, Custis, Rock Creek, Four Mile Run, and Woodrow Wilson Bridge trails...
    Well, it is a "hub for commuting activity" for me. I know people have been working hard to have the NPS view the MVT as more than just a recreational trail. Apparently we aren't there yet.