Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Roosevelt Island Parking Area Modifications

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised this morning to see they've begun work! Trail has been cut in preparation for leveling and paving. I'm a little concerned that cyclists will be routed across the entrance to the parking lot; hopefully there will be signage or something to encourage drivers to turn in with caution.
    Do you mean during construction? Yesterday, I saw what looked to be preparations for a temporary crossing at the parking lot entrance, and I figure that trail-users will be guided onto that. I, too, am concerned that drivers coming off the GWMP will not be able to stop for trail-users in time because they are not expecting the crossing. Hopefully signage will help, but it's still going to be dicey.

Post Thanks / Like

A more current thread on this is here: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...t-Pending-Work

3. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Do you mean during construction? Yesterday, I saw what looked to be preparations for a temporary crossing at the parking lot entrance, and I figure that trail-users will be guided onto that. I, too, am concerned that drivers coming off the GWMP will not be able to stop for trail-users in time because they are not expecting the crossing. Hopefully signage will help, but it's still going to be dicey.
    I'm not an architect, but to my untrained eye it looks as if they are preparing to permanently reroute the trail from the bottom of the corkscrew across the entrance to the lot, run it parallel to the road, and rejoin the existing trail where the retaining wall begins.
    Last edited by Drewdane; 02-16-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    A more current thread on this is here: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...t-Pending-Work
    I'm moving all my future posts on this topic to this thread since it has the updated info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I'm moving all my future posts on this topic to this thread since it has the updated info.
    Honestly, I think this thread is more comprehensive and thus more useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    That should not be the case. Click on the links in Chris_s's post earlier and you can see renderings of alternatives 1&2. I can't recall which of those it is, but both of them have the crossing not far from where it is now, except diagonally--eliminating the 90 degree turns. Cars are supposed to have stop signs with the trail users getting the ROW.

I'll be curious to see if they replace the useless bollard at the bottom of the bridge.
    What I saw closely mirrors Alternative 4, which is listed as "dismissed" in the NPS powerpoint, so maybe it is a temporary mulch trail. I suppose time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Going on my experience passing through there and KWL's pics, here's what the layout appears to be:

Combined - Normal MVT (green) & Detour route (pink)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tr island construction - combined MVT.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	13790

Normal MVT only

Name:	tr island construction - normal MVT.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	13791

Detour route only

Name:	tr island construction - detour MVT.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	13792

(I made up my mind and decided to go with DrewDane's recommendation to keep new updates on this more comprehensive thread)

9. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The green and pink combined view is super helpful - thanks! But now I too worry about drivers turning into the parking lot (although thankfully I'm usually coming through there fairly early in the am and the afternoon). It could get worse as the weather gets nicer though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    The green and pink combined view is super helpful - thanks! But now I too worry about drivers turning into the parking lot (although thankfully I'm usually coming through there fairly early in the am and the afternoon). It could get worse as the weather gets nicer though.
    I seem to remember seeing the makings of a lane-blocking device near the entrance to the TR Island parking lot. If there is any rationality involved in this project, they should be resurfacing the entire parking lot as well as rebuilding the trail, and if they are resurfacing the parking lot, it will have to be closed. So hopefully mulch-riders will only need to worry about drivers breaking through the "Parking Lot Closed" barrier. Although, given that this morning there was a driver attempting to take the Potomac Heritage (Hiking) Trail shortcut to Turkey Run Park, it may be more of a worry than it ought to be.
    Last edited by bentbike33; 02-16-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Lack of indefinite article.

12. Likes Steve O, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    Honestly, I think this thread is more comprehensive and thus more useful.
    I agree. And here is the latest photo of the mulch. Looks like we are ready to be detoured. Monday morning???

It's hard to see from the photo, but there is a nasty little dogleg a ways down the detour. That and the tight entrances at the Rosslyn ramp and at Tollheim are going to make this an interesting reroute.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

14. Likes kwarkentien, ursus liked this post