Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maryland Rail Trail/Mixed Use Trail Pointless Prize Contest

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maryland Rail Trail/Mixed Use Trail Pointless Prize Contest

(at the suggestion of acl, I'm giving this contest its own thread. Please post your contest entries on this thread. Thanks!)

Press Release: For Release on February 4, 2014 at 1:56 p.m.
    Maryland, USA (give or take six miles)

****Announcing a new, Maryland-centric Pointless Prize! ****

****Team and Individual Prizes to be Awarded!****

This prize challenges you to ride on as many unique Maryland mixed use trails or rail trails for the duration of the Freezing Saddles competition period (yes, you can count rides going back to 1/1/14). Prizes will be awarded for the individual who rides on the most trails and for the team that collectively rides on the most different trails. For the team competition, there is no limit to the number of trails any individual can contribute, but each trail only counts once.

Paved, gravel and hard packed trails are okay but mountain bike trails are excluded -- e.g.:

C&O: Yes
    Northwest Branch Trail: Yes
    Torrey C. Brown Trail: Yes
    Rosaryville: No

Prize is TBD -- could be a contribution in your name to the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy. If I can get them to provide some without thinking I'm crazy, maybe I can also award some RTC socks or something to the winners.

To be consired for an individual prize, near the end of the competition period, post a message to this thread identifying the trails you have ridden on. To be considered for a team prize, have one team member post a message to this thread identifying the trails your team has ridden on. You will be on the honor system; no proof is required although trail reviews are VERY welcome and may be rewarded.

(Yes, this is a self-serving competition. My love for rail trails is well known and I'm always looking for new ones to check out).

Enjoy! Also, don't make me award this to my own captain.

Liz

Post Thanks / Like

January 1,
    1) Levee Trail
    2) Northwest Branch Trail
    3) Anacostia Trail
    4) Northeast Branch Trail
    5) Trolley Trail
    6) Paint Branch Trail
    8) Indian Creek Trail
    9) Washington Baltimore and Annapolis Trail
    10) Gladys Noon Spellman Overpass

January 11,
    11) Lake Artemesia Trail

January 20,
    12) Little Paint Branch Trail
    13) Capital Crescent Trail
    14) Georgetown Branch Trail
    15) Sligo Creek Trail

Post Thanks / Like

That's excellent, Rod! But don't feel constrained -- you can supplement your entry as you add more trails throughout the remainder of the competition.

Liz

Amalitza Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post

although trail reviews are VERY welcome and may be rewarded.

(Yes, this is a self-serving competition. My love for rail trails is well known and I'm always looking for new ones to check out).

Liz
    Clearly I will not be in the running for the prize (that's a lot of trails, Rod!), so I'll try my hand at trail review.

Indian Head Rail Trail: Charles County, MD; 13 miles Indian Head to White Plains; lots of nature, including a couple of (good? -or at least regularly used) fishing spots; flat, straight, wide, paved in excellent condition. Light to moderate pedestrian and bike traffic. Many park benches, a couple of nature overlooks, and a covered picnic table or two along the way. Port-o-potties (clean, but, you know, still port-o-potties) at regular intervals, real bathroom (possibly closed for the winter, though) at the White Plains end of the trail plus at Bennsville Park about ½ mile off the trail (with paved sidepath). A couple water fountains but I think they also might be off for winter. Well-maintained: fallen trees, branches and leaves are quickly cleared after storms, but it's not treated or plowed after snow. Watch for kamikaze squirrels and do NOT trust cars to stop for you at road crossings. (Crosswalk, what’s that?)

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Rod,

Don't forget the BWI Trail and the Gywnns Falls Trail from February 1.

Post Thanks / Like

February 1,
    16) BWI Trail
    17) Gwynns Falls Trail

Post Thanks / Like

***Reminder***

Thanks to the big thaw, trails are clearing up and ready for action. Just a couple of more weeks to rack up those entries. Just post your entries here at the end of the competition. May the best (Maryland loving) team and individual win!

Liz

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I was once having dinner in L.A. with a friend from British Columbia. She asked if I could name all 50 states. So I started rattling them off and when I got Maryland she stopped me.

"Wait, Maryland? There's a state called Maryland?"

"Yes, of course."

"Are you sure?"

I love Canadians.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    I was once having dinner in L.A. with a friend from British Columbia. She asked if I could name all 50 states.
    If your friend is a female from Canada, would that make her a Canadienne?

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Capital Crescent

How'm I doing?