Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Maryland-centric Pointless Prize Prize

Amalitza Guest

Default The Maryland-centric Pointless Prize Prize

Pointless prizes too heavily weighted in favor of Virginia? This can be fixed! By…. more pointless prizes!

I hereby offer a prize to the person who creates and awards the best Maryland-centric pointless prize/contest/side bet. (Maryland-centric AND meta ).

Requirements:

Prize must be announced on the forum with a post in this thread nominating it as in the running.

Can be individual or team competition.

“Best” and “Maryland-centric” are subjective and entirely up to me.

However, “best” will be heavily weighted towards enthusiasm/participation. “Maryland-centric” will be weighted towards the opinion of Marylanders, though lots of whining from Virginians/DCers (DCians? Districters?) may be taken into account. If I’m uncertain of the Maryland-centric creds of a particular contest (as I might be, as a Virginian myself), I may ask for a vote or explanation or something.

Can be announced at any time during Freezing Saddles, but since it’s going to be judged largely on participation, announcing it at the last minute might not be the best strategy.

Not sure what the prize will be, maybe a crab or something. Or I suppose I could purchase from my teammate a gift certificate to Proteus (in--- Maryland!). Anyway, there will be something. I have six weeks yet to figure it out.

How would I be unknown if you knew my location?
    Post Thanks / Like

How about most missed connections caused by drivers of cars bearing Maryland plates?

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly ride in VA and DC, but I can be fully decked out in my Terps gear to win the most Maryland-looking person. I think you should issue a challenge to everyone to go do Savage Mountain's wall and then whomever posts the best time, wins.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    ... I think you should issue a challenge to everyone to go do Savage Mountain's wall and then whomever posts the best time, wins.
    In keeping with Freezing Saddles, I think that ride should be set for a day with freezing rain or snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default War of 1812

Be the first to complete an homage to the history of the Old Line State.
    examples could include:

Star Spangled Pannier: Ride from the site of F.Scott Key's house (Georgetown) to Baltomore Harbor where Key was held captive by the brits, and penned our national anthem.
    or. . .
    The Roof is on Fire: Re-enact the Limey's win at the Battle of Bladensburg and invastion of the district by Riding from Bladensburg, MD, to the Navy Yard, and then on to the white house (actual flames are not recommended).
    or . . .
    Get off my land!: Ponder the present shape of Maryland (as the leftover pieces that VA (and WV), PA, and DE didn't want) by posting rides in each of these 4 states.
    or . . .

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

And/or the next Team Challenge could be Civil War related. Like visiting as many forts as possible.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    examples could include:

Star Spangled Pannier: Ride from the site of F.Scott Key's house (Georgetown) to Baltomore Harbor where Key was held captive by the brits, and penned our national anthem.
    . . .
    Does my February 1st ride count? However, I probably didn't get close enought to were he was a captive. If only you'd posted this on Friday. So close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    examples could include:

or. . .
    The Roof is on Fire: Re-enact the Limey's win at the Battle of Bladensburg and invastion of the district by Riding from Bladensburg, MD, to the Navy Yard, and then on to the white house (actual flames are not recommended).
    or . . .
    Get off my land!: Ponder the present shape of Maryland (as the leftover pieces that VA (and WV), PA, and DE didn't want) by posting rides in each of these 4 states.
    or . . .
    The Key ride could be even more fun if you added in his hometown out in Carroll County!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    And/or the next Team Challenge could be Civil War related. Like visiting as many forts as possible.
    Or we (VA vs MD) could try to ride each other into the ditch (completely by accident of course), during our random sightings, which ever side has the most people from the other side in the ditch "wins"!

Ok maybe not.

Amalitza Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownCyclist View Post
    How about most missed connections caused by drivers of cars bearing Maryland plates?
    Excellent use of the "participation matters" scoring system.