Likes Likes:  195
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  53
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The "what does your shop look like" thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of caves, I'm considering replacing the 30+ year old metal shed in the back yard with a bike shed (which is a baaaaaaad term to search for on the internet), and was wondering if anyone has dealt with any local custom shed builders? I have not the handiness nor the time to build my own, and would be interested in any input other folks might have. I am at S-1 until said shed gets replaced.

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Moved a few months ago and have also added some n+1. It's a condo without a yard, just a small outdoor patio.
    So here's how it looks right now in the main living area:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall racks.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	20218

There's also a small closet outside off the patio, where I keep the accessories and tools and stuff. It's neither long enough nor wide enough for a bike, they only fit diagonally.
    I was storing the blue bike there, but have now moved it inside with the others. Of course, that means there is room for another if necessary.

Name:	outdoor closet.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	20219
    Last edited by Steve O; 07-09-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Credit to CBGAnimal for rack assembly

3. Likes huskerdont, LhasaCM, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post

Name:	wall racks.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	20218
    Hmm. There seems to be a mountain bike hanging on that wall... Does that mean we will see you tonight at W@W?!

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Hmm. There seems to be a mountain bike hanging on that wall... Does that mean we will see you tonight at W@W?!
    Almost!!!
    I was going to get a ride with drevil, but then was reminded that tonight is the BAC meeting. Dang.

Falls Church VA or Bristol UK 🇬🇧 or Brazil 🇧🇷
    Post Thanks / Like

A recreation of Orville and Wilber Wright’s workbench from their bike shop (circa late 1890s) found in the Air and Space Museum on the National Mall. Note the cross cut saws for making wooden wheel hoops. Amazing how not a whole lot has changed in the basic design of the bicycle other than materials used to build it!:-0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    Amazing how not a whole lot has changed in the basic design of the bicycle other than materials used to build it!:-0
    It doesn't seem possible to improve on the diamond frame if you're building a bike out of tubes. That said, it also seems to be the case that UCI slammed the brakes on advancing the state of the art by using carbon fiber to build non-diamond-frame bikes so it's hard to say how things would look without 30 years of purely political promotion of the diamond frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    It doesn't seem possible to improve on the diamond frame if you're building a bike out of tubes. That said, it also seems to be the case that UCI slammed the brakes on advancing the state of the art by using carbon fiber to build non-diamond-frame bikes so it's hard to say how things would look without 30 years of purely political promotion of the diamond frame.
    Try more like 80 years of purely political promotion of the diamond frame. UCI banned recumbents from competition in the 1930s after some Cat-2 French racer broke the hour record on one.

10. Likes CBGanimal, Steve O liked this post
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Try more like 80 years of purely political promotion of the diamond frame. UCI banned recumbents from competition in the 1930s after some Cat-2 French racer broke the hour record on one.
    Well, it's pretty easy to hide a motor in a fully-faired recumbent.

BTW, why is there a freewheel hanging in an 1890's bicycle shop? The first derailleurs didn't come around until the 1930s.

12. Likes Boomer2U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Well, it's pretty easy to hide a motor in a fully-faired recumbent.

BTW, why is there a freewheel hanging in an 1890's bicycle shop? The first derailleurs didn't come around until the 1930s.
    OMG, you're right! We all missed that.

The story of those pictures: While out to launch, we went to see Neil Armstrong's restored space suit. Found a Wright Bros. bicycle instead.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, John Michael from Papillon Cycles is looking for honest-to-goodness wooden rims. Contact him at the shop.