Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Capital Bikeshare discount for residents of Arlington

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Friendly Guy View Post
    As an economist, I've often wondered....

OPEN QUESTION TO THE FORUM ABOUT CABI PRICING
    A 90 minute ride costs $14, but a 30 minute ride is FREE. Can you daisy-chain several, say 25 minute, rides in the same trip for free?
    But would you do that, if someone was waiting for a bike at an empty station?

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...8757#post58757

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I noted on the other thread that in 3+ years of CaBi riding, I've never come across that situation, where I'm headed to an empty station with someone waiting for a bike. The more common situations I've encountered have been riding to a full station (then trying to find a nearby station with an empty dock) or walking to an empty station and not finding any bikes. The CaBi website and the SpotCycle app are useful for determining whether a station is full/empty in advance. So it's rare for me to go to a station to find it empty. If I already know it's empty, then I will go to a different station or take Metro.

Is there a widespread problem with arriving at an empty station with a bike and people waiting for a bike? The empty stations are usually in the Columbia Heights area in the mornings and downtown DC on weekday evenings.

I've done several long rides on CaBi over the years (during off-peak hours) where I kept docking and undocking the bike. (For exercise, not for travel.) Up to 2 or 3 hours on a few occasions. I've never had a problem with arriving at an empty station with someone waiting for a bike. When I take the long rides, I combine multiple out-and-back rides or shorter loops (of 3-4 miles) so I have a good idea if the nearby stations are full/empty at the time.
    Last edited by PotomacCyclist; 01-31-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

In my observation, having been a member since the Alexandria stations opened up, balancing got a lot better in the second half of 2013. I would frequently encounter full stations a Braddock Road metro and at the corner of George Mason & Wilson (bracketing a frequent dock-hopped trip I do) when I first became a member, but toward the latter half a year, I don't ever remember needing the 'more time' option.

Even 15th & P is rarely dockblocked in my recent, every couple of week excursions, to downtown DC.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

A few tips for new CaBi users:

- It's easiest to lift up on the back of the seat to undock a bike. Pulling back on the handlebars is very difficult.
    - When re-docking the bike, be sure the green light turns on. Until the green light appears, the bike isn't considered to be checked in.
    - Memorize the number setting on the seat post after adjusting for your height. Makes things easier for future rides.
    - If the bike develops a mechanical issue (broken part, flat tire), dock the bike, then press the red repair button on the dock. Turn the seat backward to let others know that the bike is disabled.
    - Check the CaBi website or use the free SpotCycle smartphone app before you ride. You can see if your target station is full/empty before heading over there. You can also look for available bikes or docks at nearby stations if the first station is full/empty. SpotCycle is available for Android, iPhone and even BlackBerry. If you travel to other bikeshare cities, you might be able to use the app there too. SpotCycle covers bikeshare systems throughout the U.S., some in Canada, many European cities and even Melbourne, Australia and Toyama, Japan.