Likes Likes:  31
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Falls Church CaBi?

Post Thanks / Like

So...Falls Church is soliciting feedback on their proposed "Mobility for all Modes: Transportation Element of the City's Comprehensive Plan".

The Good News:
    1) it has a bicycle section.
    2) it talks about working to bring CaBi to Falls Church

The Bad News:
    1) Everything else.

Seriously, check out this awesome map of planned bike projects:

If you live in Falls Church and value cycling infrastructure, you really need to provide some constructive feedback on this thing.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Are those W&OD Stop Sign Plazas?
    The official FC Bicycle Route is the pits.
    Are they really telling people to bike on Shreve? That road definitely needs at least sharrows, but more practically, bike lanes, or at LEAST a continuous paved sidewalk from the WFC Metro to the W&OD.

Post Thanks / Like

The official FC bike route is my "trails are covered with snow, must do surface streets" route. Nearly all of it is residential, and consequently places I have no interest in going to on my bike; rather, a route I use to get out of FC.

The planned sharrows are probably unnecessary - I've used these roads, and I've seen other cyclists use them, and they're not really so heavily trafficked as to be dangerous for cyclists. It's just a token "here's a sharrow on a road that's already totally fine".

Isn't the whole point of making an area bike-friendly to help people on bikes access the businesses in the town? A majority of those businesses are on Broad St.

This annoys me more than the current situation, because nothing changes while FC gets to pretend that it's becoming bike-friendly.

Also, are they seriously calling Rt.7 west of the city limit a "neighboring bike route"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phatboing View Post
    Also, are they seriously calling Rt.7 west of the city limit a "neighboring bike route"?
    Didn't you know? According to Fairfax County there's a bike trail there!

To be fair, their bike master plans does acknowledge that it needs upgrades.

In Arlington we call that a sidewalk.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    Are they really telling people to bike on Shreve? That road definitely needs at least sharrows, but more practically, bike lanes, or at LEAST a continuous paved sidewalk from the WFC Metro to the W&OD.
    No... "They" aren't telling people to bike on Shreve. Fairfax County is.

With the exception on Broad and Washington Streets, I would think that all the streets in Falls Church would be comfortable for relatively novice cyclists, particularly with the zealous enforcement of speed limits for which Falls Church is famous. The proposed sharrows seem to be parallel routes to these main roads. Personally, given the amount of traffic, I don't care whether these roads get sharrows or not. Furthermore, I don't care whether there is a signed city bike route if most streets are suitable for biking. I don't particularly see the need for any bike-specific infrastructure in residential neighborhoods with good street connections and relatively little traffic.

I would, however, do something about most of the stop signs on the WOD.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Didn't you know? According to Fairfax County there's a bike trail there!

To be fair, their bike master plans does acknowledge that it needs upgrades.

In Arlington we call that a sidewalk.
    And we in Arlington would never call a sidewalk a bike trail.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    particularly with the zealous enforcement of speed limits for which Falls Church is famous.
    Funny, I never see speed enforcement in Falls Church City on Broad St. between Shreve/Haycock and Washington. Everyone slows down driving through the tony neighborhoods between Washington and Seven Corners, because that's where they enforce and ticket, but I routinely see people driving 40-50mph in front of Giant and underneath the Citizens' Bridge with no repercussions.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it obvious that you always want to conduct speed enforcement on the parts of roads where conditions suggest a higher safe speed (regardless of the posted limit)?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    I don't particularly see the need for any bike-specific infrastructure in residential neighborhoods with good street connections and relatively little traffic.
    wayfinding signs. For those of us silly enough to venture into a place we've never ridden before, without a map or a smartphone (or without wanting to take those out constantly.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    wayfinding signs. For those of us silly enough to venture into a place we've never ridden before, without a map or a smartphone (or without wanting to take those out constantly.)
    In my day, we called that an adventure.