Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Falls Church CaBi?

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

At the very least, EFC needs a big station. There are always tons of bikes parked there, and it's super close to the new developments along Lee Hwy. Add in a few stations along Washington Blvd (Westover!!) and you'd have super easy connectivity between Ballston and EFC that would, I think, increase business in that area even more. I also think putting a station along the W&OD to bridge between EFC and either WFC or even just the Rt. 7/W&OD intersection would would be fantastic and increase multimodal commuting when people would otherwise just drive.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    I would hope that any jurisdiction joining CB would coordinate with their neighbors!
    I think D.C. and Montgomery County could do a better job of coordinating their expansion. Maybe it's a problem with adding stations on Metro property, but D.C. has not added stations near the new Silver Spring and Takoma Park stations. They have done a little better at Friendship Heights/Tenleytown.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    At the very least, EFC needs a big station. There are always tons of bikes parked there, and it's super close to the new developments along Lee Hwy. Add in a few stations along Washington Blvd (Westover!!) and you'd have super easy connectivity between Ballston and EFC that would, I think, increase business in that area even more. I also think putting a station along the W&OD to bridge between EFC and either WFC or even just the Rt. 7/W&OD intersection would would be fantastic and increase multimodal commuting when people would otherwise just drive.
    We need to convince the Arlington County Board to come up with more money for Capital Bikeshare. There is a big gap between what Arlington's Bikeshare folks would like the system to look like and what has been funded:

More detail at Arlington's Bikeshare Transit Development Plan

jrenaut is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    I used to live a little way up Lee Highway from EFC, before I rediscovered biking. My wife worked downtown and I worked out in VA. On days when I would meet her in the city for happy hour or dinner or whatever, I would take the bus down Lee Highway. It's about 3 miles, and would generally take 30+ minutes of waiting for the bus, regardless of what WMATA said, and then 15-20 minutes on the bus. And I would drop her off at Metro on my way to work in the car, and then pick her up when she got home.

All that to say that area is just screaming for some better connections, and CaBi would be awesome there.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical

Lee Highway is in the lead! (Of unmet CaBi demand...)

In case anyone's interested, I asked someone I know in Falls Church what the level of discussion was there and he said the following: "We have had discussions in Falls Church about CaBi, including reps from that organization. The challenge is that they don't want to open just one station, but need several of them to justify the investment. For now, there is interest in having new development projects (along Broad Street) install them. It will make it a lot easier if there are CaBi stations in EFC, and WFC metro stations. Our City Council is definitely interested in this."

that makes perfect sense, and basically the way Alexandria did it. (one at each metro and few along the downtown 'strip')

Hopefully, though, it won't take an additional two years to expand beyond the initial rollout.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.

Alexandria is supposed to add 4 new stations in Del Ray, 3 in Carlyle and 1 on Slaters Lane/Potomac Greens by the end of this winter (although that schedule can always change). So it shouldn't be long at all. Then another 14 next year, maybe.

9. 01-31-2014, 05:09 PM

I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    That would be funny if it weren't so true.

The only way to "lobby" Falls Church City govt is to show up with wads of cash and promises to clear out the riffraff of local entrepreneurs and independent small businesses in favor of generic "upscale retail" mega-development.

Interesting quote from Charlie Strunk, Fairfax County bicycle program coordinator, in an article about the ongoing Reston bikeshare study:

"Strunk said that the City of Falls Church is also exploring bikeshare, which could lead to a natural westward expansion from Arlington to Falls Church to Merrifield and Tysons."

This doesn't mean that a Falls Church system is on the way. But it does indicate that FC is officially looking into bikeshare.

http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/...e=fairfaxTimes