Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Falls Church CaBi?

Default Falls Church CaBi?

Hi. As a new user of CaBi, I'm realizing how helpful it would be if CaBi were in Falls Church. Just curious what the status of the discussion was there or if it had been discussed at all. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    Hi. As a new user of CaBi, I'm realizing how helpful it would be if CaBi were in Falls Church. Just curious what the status of the discussion was there or if it had been discussed at all. Thanks.
    There's some move to have CABI in other parts of Fairfax County, but I haven't heard of anything in Falls Church yet. My guess is that it will progress outward from Arlington in a westerly direction similarly to how it spread to Alexandria. I think it is only a matter of time.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.

Fairfax is planning to add stations in Reston but not this year. Maybe in a year or two. They have also mentioned Tysons Corner and Merrifield-Mosaic as possible locations, but even farther out on the timeline.

Arlington has considered a series of bike stations along the Lee Highway corridor to East Falls Church, but it seems like they are focusing on Columbia Pike and Shirlington in the latest expansion round. It's on the radar though.

I haven't heard anything about the City of Falls Church joining Capital Bikeshare. They would have to join in order to have any stations within the city limits.

There's also the possibility that CaBi expansion in general will be delayed (beyond the current delays) because of the bankruptcy filing of Bixi, the Montreal company that supplies the bikes and stations. However, I don't think there is a long-term threat to CaBi. Alta operates CaBi under contract with the local governments. Suppliers actually manufacture the bikes and stations, and provide them to Bixi (and eventually Alta and CaBi). If Bixi were to go under (which I don't think will happen) or be spun off, the manufacturing could be taken over by a different entity, since the outside suppliers are already responsible for manufacturing the hardware. (Software issues seem to be behind the Bixi problems. They switched software providers, which led to problems with newer Alta-Bixi systems like Chicago and NYC. That resulted in delayed or withheld payments to Bixi.)

Anyway, if you are a resident of Falls Church, I'd suggest that you contact your local officials and voice your support for bikeshare. I'm sure the officials are aware of CaBi but they may not be aware of the level of local support for bike stations in Falls Church. You can also add bike station suggestions on the crowdsourcing map. There's a link to the map on the CaBi site. (Go to the Station Map page. Then click on the "Suggest a Station Location" link above the main map.) Even though FC does not participate in CaBi, if there are a lot of votes and suggestions for FC stations on the crowdsourcing map, that can help to indicate the level of interest in FC bike stations.
    Last edited by PotomacCyclist; 01-26-2014 at 09:27 AM.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    Arlington has considered a series of bike stations along the Lee Highway corridor to East Falls Church, but it seems like they are focusing on Columbia Pike and Shirlington in the latest expansion round. It's on the radar though.
    Just adding to the chorus: Currently CaBi in Arlington is pretty filled out along the Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor. The round of expansion happening now is along the Pike. There is hope that the next round will be along Lee Hwy -- there are already some in the works West to Cherrydale. Falls Church would be well suited to connect to any expansion along Lee Hwy.

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    FYI--the way Bikeshare works is that each jurisdiction owns and operates their part of the system. You would need to lobby the Fall Church government to bring it there!

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    You would need to lobby the Fall Church government....

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.

Falls Church is kind of strange in that some government services are actually provided by Arlington or Fairfax. The Arlington circuit court includes Falls Church in its jurisdiction. The fire station that covers Falls Church is located in Arlington and staffed by Arlington firefighters. The Wikipedia page mentions "transport" as another service provided by Arlington, but I can't find any cites on the FC or Arl gov't sites. In various Arlington County board and agency meeting reports, I've seen budget items devoted to Falls Church matters. Fairfax apparently handles health and human services in Falls Church too.

I'm not sure if or how this would affect any decisions about CaBi. If FC were interested in joining, I think they would coordinate their program with Arlington, to allow for better connections in the network. Or they could reach an agreement to have Arlington administer a FC system, similar to the court and fire station arrangements. (Fairfax could be another option, but they aren't members of CaBi either.)

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    If FC were interested in joining, I think they would coordinate their program with Arlington, to allow for better connections in the network.
    I would hope that any jurisdiction joining CB would coordinate with their neighbors!

I'm no expert on the City of Falls Church, but my understanding is they developed a comprehensive Bike and Pedestrian Plan, and then when some residents went bonkers about how the draft plan was going to take away their parking, city council withdrew it, disavowed it and no plan has ever been put forward again.

In other words, I would NOT expect them to embrace CaBi with open arms. But hey, times may have changed or I may be misinformed.

There is zero occurrence of the words "bikeshare" or "cabi" in the searchable City Council minutes for Falls Church City.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    I'm no expert on the City of Falls Church, but my understanding is they developed a comprehensive Bike and Pedestrian Plan, and then when some residents went bonkers about how the draft plan was going to take away their parking, city council withdrew it, disavowed it and no plan has ever been put forward again.

In other words, I would NOT expect them to embrace CaBi with open arms. But hey, times may have changed or I may be misinformed.

There is zero occurrence of the words "bikeshare" or "cabi" in the searchable City Council minutes for Falls Church City.
    They also have a horrendous "City Bike Route" that dates from 2007 http://www.fallschurchva.gov/content...ybikeroute.pdf