Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arlington is trying to expand Bikeshare all along the Mt. Vernon Trail (and more)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Arlington is trying to expand Bikeshare all along the Mt. Vernon Trail (and more)

Arlington is applying for a FLAP (Federal Lands Access Program) Grant to bring Bikeshare stations to:

• Arlington Cemetery Metro
    • Air Force Memorial
    • Pentagon entrance at Army Navy Drive
    • Roosevelt Island entrance
    • Rosslyn Circle
    • Gravelly Point
    • Reagan National Airport (2 stations)

They even got NPS' support for the grant application. Here's hoping the succeed. They're also trying to get some grant money to help pay for the Army-Navy Drive cycletrack through the same program.

Details here for those who are curious.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Not being sure of where exactly "Rosslyn Circle" is, I googled it. I found this: http://www.arlnow.com/2012/05/22/the...osslyn-circle/

Amazing. I officially submit that we should rename the "Intersection of Doom" the "Intersection of Perdition"

But I'm still not sure where they want to put the CaBi station.
    Last edited by dasgeh; 01-23-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: *rcannon ELITED me because he remembers Rosslyn Circle :-)

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

I can tell them where to put a station, and it wont require any fancy federal red-tape: Lee Hwy & Glebe (probably best at Lee Hwy and Old Dumbinion)! Perfect distance to Ballston. New housing unit just about to go online there. Lots of businesses. Halfway to Marymount Uni (which should arrangement for a station for their students to get to the Blue Goose). It wood be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

There's one going in at Lee Hwy and Monroe soon...

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Since there is already a CaBi station on Lynn at Lee Highway (east bound), I'm not sure where they would plan to put the station in the Rosslyn Circle, Gateway Park?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Since there is already a CaBi station on Lynn at Lee Highway (east bound), I'm not sure where they would plan to put the station in the Rosslyn Circle, Gateway Park?
    I know it would help me when I do the multimodal commute: CaBi to Rosslyn then bus up Lee Hwy. Isn't that reason enough? (and the other station is at 19th, not Lee)

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Arlington Cemetery station was already planned as part of the current expansion round (which has been stretched out much longer than the original schedule). It shows up on this Google Map overlay, which was updated on Dec. 17, 2013. The map also shows a proposed station at the Iwo Jima Memorial.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...047&dg=feature

The Air Force Memorial station would be OK, except that I don't know if many casual cyclists are going to ride up the Columbia Pike hill from Pentagon City. It's not that tough of a hill for experienced cyclists, but it might be prohibitive for casual members. Either way, it's important for the County to speed up the negotiations with DOD for the land transfers in that area so that the side paths along Columbia Pike (between Joyce St. and the Washington Blvd. bridge) can be upgraded. The existing sidewalk along the old Navy Annex site is substandard and many cyclists (incl. most casual members) won't ride in the car traffic lanes on Columbia Pike.

The Reagan National Airport stations would be very cool. Gravelly Point would be OK. Might be some rebalancing issues, but if the County and CaBi want to deal with that, I'm not complaining.

I wonder where the Army Navy Drive station would be. Eads St.? Fern St.?

Interesting proposal.

Post Thanks / Like

They should put one directly in the center of the Intersection of Doom so drivers have to slow the [expletive deleted] down.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

The MVT would be a great idea if it were wider; it is already substandard as it is. That is my biggest concern.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know the status of this discussion?