Name:	broken frame.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newbike.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	247

In a different thread, I asked a question about how to get better braking on my cross bike.

Well, the situation resolved itself more quickly than I would have thought.

On my way home Friday, I was hit by a Brit. British dude, head down, hands in his drops riding fast downwind, strayed in to my path on the trail. I yelled and hit the brakes, he looked up, and swerved...

... even further to the left, directly in to me. I went over the bars and hit the pavement; he tumbled a good 30 feet off the trail in the grass.

Fortunately, no serious injuries. He was very apologetic -- just spaced out on the whole "we drive/ride on the right in this country" thing.

Unfortunately, my bike was totaled (along with a good helmet and a pair of sunglasses). Frame cracked. I will try to salvage the (new) wheels and derailleur.

The good news? New bike! With disk brakes this time.

Post Thanks / Like

He buy you the new bike?

Glad you're ok!

Post Thanks / Like

No, I can afford new bike no problem. I did the instant forgive and forget, just because he was so apologetic and it was just a pure dumb accident. Besides, that bike was fully depreciated. If he reads this board and wants to do something, WABA's East of the River initiative is a good cause!

Post Thanks / Like

If someone ran a red light and t-boned my car, totaling it, I don't think I'd say "well, it was just an accident" and go off to start saving for a new car. No one should ever be "head down riding fast in the drops" on a multi-use trail - he bears more responsibility here than you're assigning. If it were me I'd be cashing a check for that new bike right about now.

I'm glad you're okay though, the description is truly frightening.

Post Thanks / Like

Bravo, Greenbelt. I'm glad no-one was hurt. Sometimes stuff just happens and I like the way you handled it.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Jamis has a deep discount on stock frames under their "crash replacement program." They're sending me a new 2009 SuperNova frame so I can rebuild the cross bike! Probably amounts to about wholesale price with the discount, and seems like a good deal to me, and my shop is going to assemble it with my old bike's parts at cost. So then I'd have a lightweight bike for weekend use as well as the new steel commuter bike -- that will be cool.
    https://www.jamisbikes.com/canada/th..._supernova.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Thank goodness you are ok. Glad you get a new bike. Heard of the Flying Scotsman, now we have a Flying Brit.
    acc

Post Thanks / Like

Default New frame!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newframe.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	250Rebuilt bike is sweet. Just rode around the block. Salvaged all the parts off the wrecked bike so didn't have to buy anything new. Except I got some of those cool looking salmon-colored wet weather brake pads this time...
    Last edited by Greenbelt; 04-26-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! Jamis is a pretty dang good company to deal with.