Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Studly question

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Peter White recommends not riding "too aggressively" on studded tires? What does that mean?
    You want to avoid excessive lateral stress on the studs, as when braking suddenly. Or, as I discovered, riding along the side of a concrete slope (even just a 6" curb). Or, I guess, sprinting too fast. :-) Speed isn't a problem, it's acceleration, deceleration, and lateral force.

A few times in the 2 winters that I've ridden studded tires I've noticed studs halfway out after the sorts of maneuvers I described. I carry one of those tiny Swiss Army knives, and the screwdriver blade is perfect for poking the studs back in place. Last weekend I mounted the tires for this winter. I only lost one stud last winter. My first winter was the worst, I think I lost 6 that year. (A few companies sell replacement studs, and the good carbide-tipped ones are apparently all about the same size. I use the inexpensive set from 45Nrth, and use Nokian's tool for inserting them; I see that Universal has an inexpensive 45Nrth tool now. Here's the blog post mentioned in the Universal replacement stud comment: http://thegoldenwrench.blogspot.com/...ded-tires.html) Riding with 6 studs gone was no problem, I just prefer keeping the tire full.

I run these all winter so I can ride every day without worry or the effort of keeping up with the forecast & swapping tires/wheels the night before. I know it's likely overkill (I used to ride Chicago winter streets on plain 28c touring tires), but running the studded tires is nicely reassuring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    You want to avoid excessive lateral stress on the studs, as when braking suddenly. Or, as I discovered, riding along the side of a concrete slope (even just a 6" curb). Or, I guess, sprinting too fast. :-) Speed isn't a problem, it's acceleration, deceleration, and lateral force.
    Ok, cool, that makes sense. I can deal with that.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Out-of-focus photo from a couple days ago that illustrates what apparently can happen to the studs (getting pried out). I took this before trying to fix it; I lost the stud when I managed to propel it out of the tire somewhere onto the patio. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are merits of having studded tyres for pavement riding in DC ?

http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...n-averages.php
    It's all about icy roads/trails, in my experience, which can form without much or any natural precipitation. Deep snow/slush still warrants wide/stubby MTB tires.

http://washingtonwheelman.blogspot.c...ter-tires.html
    http://washingtonwheelman.blogspot.c...follow-up.html
    http://washingtonwheelman.blogspot.c...ter-tires.html

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm thinking of turning the MTB into a snow bike, as I haven't touched the poor thing since getting the Space Horse.

Schwalbe Marathon Winters or Nokian Hakreiwrewjihewihrisadjksppslslslslslslssttts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KelOnWheels View Post
    So I'm thinking of turning the MTB into a snow bike, as I haven't touched the poor thing since getting the Space Horse.

Schwalbe Marathon Winters or Nokian Hakreiwrewjihewihrisadjksppslslslslslslssttts?
    Ask the russians: who does better in snow, the germans or the finns? 'Nuf said.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

ELITE history lesson.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Nokians and love them. That said, you get whichever you find on sale.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran the Nokians W105s (in 700c x35mm guise) for several years on the cyclocross bike. Sold them to a friend when I got rid of that bike and picked up a set of 26" marathon winters for my touring bike as replacements. Overall I prefer the marathons. They have 4 rows of studs rather than two and a little more tread for the snow and slush that usually accompanies any weather that requires studs in this area, while IMO not giving up anything in the way of rolling resistance. Both will do ok, but the Marathons would definitely get my nod if your commute includes any MUPs.

Bear in mind that despite having the Marathons for three years, I only have a few days of actual riding on them.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Define "better." Fighting and eventually getting rolled back, or hanging out the Tervetuloa! sign and drinking your Lakka?