Likes Likes:  80
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2013 Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    ... Other than that, the Custis was patchy with solid ice on the overpasses, although I took Washington>George Mason>Fairfax>Veitch to avoid as much of the trail as possible, so I don't know if it was worse further west.
    Maybe you should have stayed on Veitch/N 21st to Scott. That avoids that nasty overpass stretch and gives you the option to get back on the Custis or take Key Blvd into Rosslyn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Friendly Guy View Post
    ... All things considered, I opted to avoid the TR wood planking, and cut off at Memorial Br past Iwo Jima up to Courthouse, following Wilson and Fairfax to Ballston to rejoin the Custis near the I-66 ramp to Ballston. ...
    Dave
    Dave, I should have asked you about this at HDCC. I thought about skipping the TR Trollheim too, but in the end rode it. It was much better than I had expected with a relatively smooth line most of the way. Helped to have studded tires.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Maybe you should have stayed on Veitch/N 21st to Scott. That avoids that nasty overpass stretch and gives you the option to get back on the Custis or take Key Blvd into Rosslyn.
    The I-66 overpass was bad, but ultimately didn't really bother me, since it was crusty and my tires handle that stuff just fine. The real (and unforeseen by me) problem was the GWMP overpass, and avoiding that would've required a pretty serious detour into an area (south of Rosslyn) that I'm not really familiar with from a bike perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

W&OD from E Falls Ch to Shirlington patches of smooth ice and sections of frozen slush deeply grooved with tire tracks and footprints, mostly on bridges and concrete surfaces. Smooth ice not too much a problem if not at a curve or a turn, but frozen slush was bumpy, made for an unstable ride, and caused me and another rider to lose it once or twice.
    I did not ride on the WOD on this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	4260
    from Falls Church (between Broad St and Shreve) to anywhere today. When I drove ( ) through Vienna, the trail where it crosses Park St didn't look any better. I really hope it's warm and sunny enough to melt this off today...

Post Thanks / Like

W&OD from E Falls Ch to Shirlington patches of smooth ice and sections of frozen slush deeply grooved with tire tracks and footprints, mostly on bridges and concrete surfaces. Smooth ice not too much a problem if not at a curve or a turn, but frozen slush was bumpy, made for an unstable ride, and caused me and another rider to lose it once or twice.

Dave
    Thanks for this report. I have to meet people for breakfast early tomorrow and will be riding from Dunn Loring to Bob + Edith's on Columbia Pike. I usually take the WOD but may ride the roads (Wash Blvd to Clarendon and cut over to Filmore). I have 35 C studded tires but while they are great on smooth ice what worries me is the bumpy stuff. Especially in the dark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2503[1].jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	4259

MVT in generally good shape

Rode from Crystal City to DC about 0600. Air temp was about 28F

CC connector was clear and dry

MVT to the northernmost DCA bridge was clear and dry

Bridge at north end of DCA was icy and bumpy - I walked my bike

MVT to 14th St Bridge cutoff was almost all clear and dry except for the spots where water runs across the trail. Ice was smooth and visible - I had no problems

14th St Bridge and path around Tidal Basin was clear and dry.
    Are you riding it with studded tires or was it alright with normal tires?

I almost rode this morning, but then decided against it since I wasn't sure on some of the smaller bridges and hadn't been able to observe the path. I was able to see most of it driving in with my wife, but couldn't quite tell on parts, particularly the wooden bridges.

I figure tomorrow I can just hop off and walk across the bridges if need be. The only other sketchy spot it appeared was two black ice patches where the water crosses the path like you said. Namely, the one midway through the stretch alongside the airport.

Anyway, I figure I will give it a try tomorrow and hopefully some of this crap melts away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    Are you riding it with studded tires or was it alright with normal tires?
    I was on a hybrid with 700 32 Schwalbe Marathon (no studs but a little tread) tires. The spots along the trail where there was frozen runoff were no problem because they were short (never more than one tire on the ice at a time), straight (no maneuvering necessary) and smooth (nothing to disturb forward momentum). Taken at a modest speed (I suppose I was going 8-12 mph), I felt no angst there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Next time, let me know and we'll ride in together ;-)
    I'm headding back out this afternoon to pick it up if you want a buddy. I plan to leave the pentagon around 4:30 and make it up to the Honda Dealership by 5:15 ish.

I haven't decided wheather to take MVT to Custis and up Lee or the back way (Eads to 4MR to W&OD to Walter Reed to Quincy, and then through the back roads around Glebe/50 to Clarendon and back to Quincy and Lee. It will depend on when I can get out of here.

Post Thanks / Like

The good news this afternoon is that it has gotten up to over 40 with sun, so we should have some good melting where the sun hits. Keep your fingers crossed for your rides home after sunset and stay alert.

Post Thanks / Like

Arlington Salted the W&OD between the Custis Trail intersection and East Falls Church.

Fairfax did not: