Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2013 Trail Conditions

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

I was out riding from 9 am to 1 pm today (An Arlington loop, a Hains Point loop, and down through Old Town to the Wilson Bridge and back). I finished up just a little while after the snow stopped and just before the sun came out. The trails are a mix of slush and clears sections. We're supposed to get into the low 20s tonight, so whatever didn't melt and run off this afternoon with refreeze so be very careful if you are riding in the morning. I expect there will also be some black ice on the streets, so watch for sliding cars too.

2. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The streets are in much better shape than the trails. Trails have an inch of irregularly shaped slush that will likely freeze, with the street in Arlington are just wet. The bridges on the trail have firmer slush, but the use of studs didn't help any. It was like riding on sand.

You could ride any tire on the streets without problems. I found the trails difficult with 28s and would suggest cross tires. After freezing tonight, studs will be recommended on the trails.

4. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5555624 View Post
    While nice, that doesn't do much for him (or whomever else builds it), since it plows behind the bike. The person who builds one and uses it should get an automatic WWDD nomination.
    It's for plowing fresh snow, so that you don't have to bike on lumpy ice for the following week.

Post Thanks / Like

Trail bridges are chock full of icy, snowy, slushy goodness. Seriously treacherous. Fun if you've got the right tires.

Tomorrow it is going to be a bunch of icy crapola. Again, fun if you've got the right tires.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Trail bridges are chock full of icy, snowy, slushy goodness. Seriously treacherous. Fun if you've got the right tires.

Tomorrow it is going to be a bunch of icy crapola. Again, fun if you've got the right tires.
    I think the only right tires for that mess are your studded fat tires.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Shady spots on the Custis were dicey, with a nice crusty slush, but what I'm worried about are the spots where the melt-off currently is starting to freeze and create black ice. Just walking the dog was a little harrowing at times.

9. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I am interested to see how my 30mm (A30) studded tires fare tomorrow AM. (**Edit: those are 32mm A10 tires, not sure what I was thinking**). In retrospect there is little advantage to getting small studded tires since I don't leave them on. (I thought I would before I realized how much they suck on dry pavement.)
    Last edited by hozn; 12-10-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    I found the trails difficult with 28s and would suggest cross tires. After freezing tonight, studs will be recommended on the trails.
    What do you mean, suggest cross tires? Do they make a big difference in slushy rides like Monday or snow like this morning? On Monday morning I took my road bike (my only bike) with its narrow slicks on Custis and didn't have a great time so I've been thinking about getting a cross bike, but I'm not sure if it would help on days like tomorrow morning if there ends up being ice. Tomorrow I'll probably take Lee Hwy instead of Custis, which I hate doing but is probably marginally safer...

This is my first real winter commuting (last year I biked but my entire commute was essentially biking over Key Bridge) so I'd appreciate any advice from any of you veterans!

Post Thanks / Like

I rode a lot of the Custis and wo&d today with 28 road tires. Had no problems cutting through the slush to pavement except on the bridges. I must have picked the very best time 1-3. But can see how Wed morning will be awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

When it ices over I think studs are appropriate. I thought cross tires with somewhat knobby tread would have worked better on the tails today, but I was farther west than you. The mountain bike with studded tires was overkill, except on bridges.