Likes Likes:  80
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2013 Trail Conditions

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

that's my plan for tomorrow, although I might take Lee Highway from Veitch. It's fast and fun, just hoping for no black ice.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still Hard Going in Spots TR Plank Bridge, Airport Overpasses, & Custis Bridges

Here is what TR bridge looked like at 7:30 this morning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1055.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	4266
    Without studs, I chose to walk most of it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	4267
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Was actually rideable on non-studded cx tires. I thought the Spout Run and I-66 overpasses were worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up on riding technique on ice or slick surfaces:

-Slow way down.

-Maintain a smooth pedal stroke. Don't mash the pedals up and down, but rather try to pedal in a smooth circle.

-Ride in a straight line. Turning the handlebars can make you take a spill. If you need to change course slightly, try "steering from your hips" by shifting your balance slightly.

-Get off and walk if you need to!

Post Thanks / Like

Any reports as to how the conditions CAP CRESCENT / Georgetown Branch end to end? Have to go to Silver Spring tonight and ride home to Ballston. Thanks in advance! JOHN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    Just a heads up on riding technique on ice or slick surfaces:

-Slow way down.

-Maintain a smooth pedal stroke. Don't mash the pedals up and down, but rather try to pedal in a smooth circle.

-Ride in a straight line. Turning the handlebars can make you take a spill. If you need to change course slightly, try "steering from your hips" by shifting your balance slightly.

-Get off and walk if you need to!
    Great tips...they work. And for me, off with the Fat Boy slicks and on with the big GEAX knobbies. Oh, and for me, I need to ride unclipped through these spots. These wooden bridges over Potomac wetlands are slick! Thanks all for the reports!

7. 12-12-2013, 04:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhowell View Post
    Any reports as to how the conditions CAP CRESCENT / Georgetown Branch end to end? Have to go to Silver Spring tonight and ride home to Ballston. Thanks in advance! JOHN
    CCT Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

I took the road today. I knew I had a lot of miles to do and left the studded tires at home. I rode in DC and out past Vienna. It was a nice change of pace after a few days of ice.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

I rode on the MVT on a CaBi bike on Wednesday. As noted above, most of the trail is clear except for the overpasses and some minor patches at Gravelly Point (which aren't much of a problem). On the overpass near the airport, the tracks from cyclists and pedestrians had hardened in the ice. Since CaBi bikes are pretty stable, with a low center of mass, I decided to ride instead of walk.

Interesting experience. I knew I could step out to the side at any time if the bike tipped over. The tires don't have much of a tread, so I was slipping almost constantly on the overpass. But I wasn't falling over. I was sliding a bit to the left, a bit to the right, a little ahead. I was also riding very slowly. I made it through without any accidents, although I could have been lucky. (I have good balance, from the strength and agility training that I do.)

I probably would walk a road bike over the overpass, and any other iced-over trail sections.

NOTE: I rode on that cold morning even though I'm not much of a winter rider and I am not participating in the Freezing Saddles Competition. So why ride? Well, I am participating in a triathlon-based winter contest, which covers more types of activity, even beyond swim, bike and run. (We're allowed to post spin bike and stationary bike workouts, cross-country skiing, elliptical sessions and treadmill runs.)

Steve O is online now I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ranting here.

What's the deal with 11 pages of comments re: ice and snow trail conditions after a relatively small storm? Does AAA have a forum where drivers are still posting problems with snow and ice on highways days after the storm is gone? Do they have to get out of their cars and walk them across dangerous sections? No, of course not. Yet, here we are, treating this like it's BAU.

Somehow we have got to change this. Normal should be trails get cleared just like streets. We shouldn't be seeing Facebook posts from BikeArlington cheering about 1/2 mile of salt on one tiny section of trail as though Arlington County should win a Nobel Prize or something. Why do we accept this unacceptable state of affairs?

It's frustrating. It's been a topic of discussion at BAC meetings since as long as I can remember, yet this year Arlington has essentially thumbed its nose at cyclists and peds who want to actually go somewhere--like work or a metro station or to run errands. WTF?