Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2013 Trail Conditions

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation December 2013 Trail Conditions

Monday, December 9
    I benefited from the two hour federal office opening delay, so I was not on my bike until 9:00am. I rode a combination of the W&OD from Ohio St to Shirlington Rd, the 4MRT extention from Shirlington Rd to Reagan National, and the MVT from Reagan-National to Rosslyn. For the most part the trails were clears with on a few icy patches. The exceptions were the bridges and overpasses. All were covered with about two inches of a slushy ice. The wooden bridges were the worst since the wooded under the ice was slicker than the concrete on the others. From Ohio St to Columbia pike there were only two bike tire tracks. From Columbia Pike to Shirlington Rd there were four bike tire tracks, and from Shirlington Rd to Rosslyn there were about eight or ten. I didn't see any sign that anyone wiped out on the Roosevelt Island trollheim wooden walkway, but clearly some riders were able to hold their line better than others.

I doubt the icy slush on the bridges and overpasses will totally melt off and where it gets in the 20s tonight could refreeze into real ice and it will be very rough. And we have more winter storm weather coming through for Tuesday's commute. Oh joy! Glad I put the studded tires on yesterday!

Post Thanks / Like

The W&OD underpass at Wilson was underwater this morning. The bridges will all be challenging if they refreeze with all the ruts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    I doubt the icy slush on the bridges and overpasses will totally melt off and where it gets in the 20s tonight could refreeze into real ice and it will be very rough. And we have more winter storm weather coming through for Tuesday's commute. Oh joy! Glad I put the studded tires on yesterday!
    Yeah, whatever doesn't melt and run off is potentially going to be a nasty mess by the overnight hours as it all freezes. I rode in my 2" Schwalbe (non-studded) tires, and it was fine. The fat, heavy tire with a little tread is good for clearing a path through the slush, but it won't do me much good if everything ices over tonight.

Freezing Saddles preseason training camp has begun.
    Last edited by cyclingfool; 12-09-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Yes, I would like fries with that.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I was concerned about the trails today, and it sounds like I should be more so tomorrow. For the Arlington --> DC commute, there aren't many ways to get to bridges without going on trails.

I decided to get to 2nd St S then go onto Fort Myer and fly down the hill in the cemetery. You are allowed to stay on road across the Memorial Bridge, but I don't -- the sidewalk/trail from the Metro Station and across the bridge was fine. Just a few slushy spots on the wooden walkways (as others noted in other threads). I'm not concerned about refreeze on those, so I'll probably do the same tomorrow morning.

I believe the only other option is to use roads to get to the Key Bridge in Rosslyn.

It sounds like the TR Bridge, MVT to Rosslyn and Custis will be fine for the ride home, right?

*Tim, can you fix the title of the thread, please? Thx
    Last edited by dasgeh; 12-09-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    *Tim, can you fix the title of the thread, please? Thx
    I guess I should have spent that extra two hours sleeping like Dismal so I would have been more alert and realized what year it is!

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Custis was just wet, but the overpasses still had lots of slush, which could be nasty when covered in snow in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

As of 8:30pm, pretty much every trail bridge I crossed was 2" deep in thick slush and ice.

There are two large branches down west of Virginia Lane between Falls Church and Vienna.

Post Thanks / Like

Overpasses by National were still slushy this evening.
    The concrete sections of 4MRT were slushy as well.
    The 14th Street Bridge, however, was clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighth View Post
    Overpasses by National were still slushy this evening.
    The concrete sections of 4MRT were slushy as well.
    The 14th Street Bridge, however, was clear.
    Much clearer than when I made the treacherous crossing this morning - right after waving "Hi" to you on Ohio Drive!

Post Thanks / Like

The Cap Crescent Trail had the same issues on the overpasses. Plus a big tree blocking the entire trail a little bit past the Georgetown trailhead.