Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: * Freezing Saddles 2014 *

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    I think I am going to have to come up with a pointless prize for best answer to the superfluous question. So far, the best answer.....
    I hope it's a good prize!

2. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just signed up!

4. Likes KelOnWheels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're all going to die!!!!

6. Likes KelOnWheels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by culimerc View Post
    I hope not. I just signed up.

Looking at my past ride data, last winter I really didn't ride much (though I was still able to do a 200K in February somehow. Huh.), so I used my averages from this fall, which are more consistent. I'm still not sure whether I want to use the coming winter to get back in shape for more randonneuring next year, or whether I want to get in shape to do 5K runs, while exercising our dog at the same time. I don't think I can do both.

Either way, this will help get me out of the house to commute or get groceries, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by culimerc View Post
    I'm really thinking hard about signing up, but having never ridden through an entire winter, and I'll admit I'm fearful. That said, I've ridden five or six days a week for almost three months now (cold, windy, and rainy days included), and I've been ok so far. Is personal fortitude the most important element in this competition? I may have some of that. In any case, I'll be scouring previous posts about winter riding, guaranteed!

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    ...In any case, I'll be scouring previous posts about winter riding, guaranteed!
    You'll need this thread.

As they say, there is no bad weather, only bad clothes. And freezing rain. F*** that s***.

10. Likes ronwalf, KelOnWheels liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Smith View Post
    I encourage returning participants to use the weekly mileage they rode last year between Jan 1 and March 20 as a baseline. It's a little dishonest but in my case more fair. I'm not a 201 mile/week rider. I've averaged 269 over the last 52 weeks, 258 during Freezing Saddles 2013. Part of the challenge for me will be beating my handicap.
    But seriously, if we're all answering differing questions, the handicap won't work as intended. The question is not "how far/often do you expect to ride during FS 2014?" It could be, and we could each figure out an answer for that, based on our own situations. The question is "how far/often have you/will you have ridden in Nov/Dec?" We all live in a place that changes for Thanksgiving and Xmas (offices closed, more shopping, lots of travel), so we're in basically the same boat.

I answered for Nov/Dec even though I bike commute a little less these months and take time off. So if others are answering the first question, I'm sandbagging.

12. Likes Amalitza, KelOnWheels liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    I'm really thinking hard about signing up, but having never ridden through an entire winter, and I'll admit I'm fearful. That said, I've ridden five or six days a week for almost three months now (cold, windy, and rainy days included), and I've been ok so far. Is personal fortitude the most important element in this competition? I may have some of that. In any case, I'll be scouring previous posts about winter riding, guaranteed!
    Having been on one of the lowest-placing teams last year (although we had the highest average speed, because ELITE), which included a member who ended up riding hardly at all, I don't think anyone is seriously going to hold it against you if you sign up and don't rack up a lot of miles. I'd say sign up...best case, you ride a ton. Worst case, you don't get a pointless prize and your teammates mock you mercilessly.
    Last edited by TwoWheelsDC; 12-05-2013 at 12:14 PM.

14. Dislikes Mikey disliked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    . Worst case, you don't get a pointless prize and your teammates mock you mercilessly.
    This is modern day America. You get a prize just for showing up! I still have mine!

16. Likes Rod Smith, vvill, ronwalf, KelOnWheels liked this post
    ELITE culimerc ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In.

My bike is going to hate me after this.