Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Rosslyn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    Has anyone linked to this map/survey yet?
    The proposals being discussed were formed partly off of the results of that survey.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    3) Rosslyn - GWMP - Spout Run connection

I believe I know the kind of connection/route you're suggesting here and that it has been deemed infeasible in the past (when they were looking at continuing the MVT all the way through Arlington) as too expensive / too environmentally destructive / too historical viewshed-destroying. Would love to hear more detail though. Perhaps it's different or perhaps things have changed.
    The attached shows what I'm talking about. Note that in this area, eastbound GWMP is lower than westbound GWMP - the blue line would be the trail, and while it looks like it crosses eastbound GWMP, it just goes under it.

Basically it would be a two way path/cycletrack along the south/west side of Spout Run then the GWMP then the ramp to Rosslyn. This isn't a path along the Potomac (which I believe was recently discussed as too expensive / too environmentally destructive / too historical viewshed-destroying). I actually saw this path in an OLD master plan -- wish I had noted which one. Most of it would be easy to build -- I believe there's plenty of width on the ramp to Rosslyn and along the GWMP. The issue would just be along Spout Run and getting it back to Lyon Village, but there are options.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshots_2013-11-20-10-58-17.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	4092

Post Thanks / Like

5) Improve Key Blvd -- Key Blvd/Scott St (or 18th St, if that becomes a bike/ped street through Rosslyn) connection

By "improve" are we talking like bike lanes all along? Or some sort of Bicycle Boulevard treatment? Or are you kinda open to whatever staff thinks might be best in that regard? My biggest issue with that connection is the crazy steepness of the trail section that connects the two pieces of Key Blvd and I'm 'not sure what a good alternative is there. I don't really have a big issue with Key east of there.
    I would expect Bike Boulevard treatment for Key Blvd, at least in Lyon Village, but here I'm focused on getting from the Lyon Village part to the Rosslyn part. I see no reason why you couldn't suspend a bridge over the ravine there, smoothing out that path, and improve the entrances to the path to make it clear that this is a real transportation connection. On the Rosslyn side, you currently bike through this odd parking lot thing, and it's hard to find. If you extend 18th, it might be better to route the trail there, so 18th ends in a nice transition to path, just like Key Blvd does on the other end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by americancyclo View Post
    In the afternoon rush hour times, I often ride past the carillon and up the ramp around Iwo Jima, using the curb cut and merging with northbound traffic on North Meade, then make a left on Arlington Blvd (access rd).
    One improvement they could make RIGHT NOW is to align the curb cut with where the trail comes up, so that bikes don't have to ride on that NARROW sidewalk. It's not the hugest deal, but there are often tourists up on the sidewalk at the top of the hill, leading to this weird "excuse me, I'm going there" dance.

5. Likes americancyclo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Basically it would be a two way path/cycletrack along the south/west side of Spout Run then the GWMP then the ramp to Rosslyn. This isn't a path along the Potomac (which I believe was recently discussed as too expensive / too environmentally destructive / too historical viewshed-destroying). I actually saw this path in an OLD master plan -- wish I had noted which one. Most of it would be easy to build -- I believe there's plenty of width on the ramp to Rosslyn and along the GWMP. The issue would just be along Spout Run and getting it back to Lyon Village, but there are options.
    There are some challenges to that route I believe...

Not saying it's unworkable; no bike route anywhere is a cakewalk.

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

At one point the Intersection of Doom had a bunch of redesigns. I think they may have been official. Like tunneling the bike path underneath.... and some other options. Does anyone know where that documentation is? Would probably be good to have for this discussion.

Even a year or so ago, I remember big promises that the solution was right around the corner. Any documentation of what that solution - which did not materialize - was?

Again, the prob of the Intersection of Doom is not so much design as it is five jurisdictions that must get on board the solution: Arlco, VDOT, NPS, Priv Prop, and even DC I understand.

8. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    At one point the Intersection of Doom had a bunch of redesigns. I think they may have been official. Like tunneling the bike path underneath.... and some other options. Does anyone know where that documentation is? Would probably be good to have for this discussion.

Even a year or so ago, I remember big promises that the solution was right around the corner. Any documentation of what that solution - which did not materialize - was?
    The "short term" project: N. Lynn Street Esplanade and Lee Highway/Custis Trail Safety Improvements

That web page links to both the Esplanade Study and the Rosslyn Circle study which both have looked extensively at the problem (in various ways) and have some longer-term options.

I have an email into Arlington's Capital Projects manager asking for an update timeline on the Esplanade project as it is WAY behind the original schedule.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an email into Arlington's Capital Projects manager asking for an update timeline on the Esplanade project as it is WAY behind the original schedule.
    Response:

Chris, The 90% engineering plans are scheduled to go to VDOT in January. This a behind the web page schedule and we will again be updating.
    I will additionally be adding in some new photos of the custom fence posts and some new details of bridge design.

We had a contract dispute with the design consultant regarding new task fees and current scope. This set us back about 5 months I am sorry to say but it has been contractually resolved and all parties are back at work.

Post Thanks / Like

POKE POKE

Anybody else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    2) Separate bikes from others along the Custis sidewalk
    So I proposed the above, someone asked for an example of what I was talking about and I've been thinking about it ever since. Then I saw this. The one labeled "Sloping curb in Portland, Oregon" (most of the way down) is what I envision.