Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Rosslyn

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Let's talk about Rosslyn

So I volunteered at the last BAC meeting to be the BAC liaison to the "Realize Rosslyn" planning effort. For those who don't know, Arlington is working to update the Rosslyn Sector plan which will outline what we want Rosslyn to look like in the future in regard to building height, street layout, parks, use mix (office / residential / etc).

They have been gathering ideas for a number of months now and are starting to coalesce those ideas into a framework of principals and then further into a draft sector plan. The major "themes" at this point are:

1.Transform commuter corridors into places for people
    2.Connect to regional parks and the Potomac River
    3.Create a sustainable Rosslyn through mixed uses and energy infrastructure
    4.Vary building height for great public spaces, views and skyline
    5.Unite Rosslyn along an extended 18th Street

And the ideas coming out of that at this point include some great things for cyclists like:
    1) converting Lynn & Ft Myer Drive to 2 way streets
    2) rebalancing many of the streets to include dedicated bike facilities and wider sidewalks at the expense of travel lanes
    3) adding additional trail connections
    4) connecting 18th Street through the core of Rosslyn, potentially as a car-free or car-lite street.

The "current thinking" shown to the BAC at the last meeting was this map of a theoretical proposed set of bicycle facilities in Rosslyn. It includes:
    1) a 1-way NB cycle track on Lynn between 50 and 19th
    2) a 2-way cycle track on Lynn between 19th and Lee Hwy
    3) a 1-way SB cycle track on Ft Myer Dr between Lee and 50
    4) a 1-way SB cycle track on Nash between Ft Myer Dr and Wilson
    5) a 2-way cycle track on Wilson between Lynn and Arlington Ridge Rd
    6) a new trail connection between 19th/Arlington Ridge Rd and the Mt Vernon Trail
    7) extensions of the Arlington Boulevard Trail on both sides of 50
    8) a new trail connection to the Roosevelt Bridge
    9) various additional bike lanes

The primary feedback given at the BAC meeting was: given the difficulty in turning left off of Wilson onto Lynn, people really want a 2-way cycle track on Nash so they can take that through Rosslyn instead of trying to make that left. Also cycletracks = good.

If you want additional background on what changes may be coming to Rosslyn as a result of this process, I highly recommend THIS document and also THIS document. It helps a lot. Many of these decisions make more sense when seen in the light of the whole framework (like the Rosslyn Esplanade concept, the green loop concept, etc.)

Now, what ideas do YOU have on making cycling better in Rosslyn? I will compile people's thoughts in a letter right now and also continue to push them throughout the Rosslyn process.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chris_s; 11-19-2013 at 01:51 PM.

2. Likes lordofthemark, GB, Kolohe, bobco85, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a concrete plan to improve the 'intersection of death' (Lynn & Lee Highway)? It's not entirely clear from the supporting docs you link (and that intersection is either right at the edge or outside some of the drawn boundaries on the various slides)

Or is the vision to just obviate the need for improvements by creating a new connection to the MVT (and TR Bridge) via the 19th/Ridge Road master project?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like counterflow or two way cycletracks. The right side of northbound Lynn is busy enough.

5. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the proposed leasing of the air space above I-66 in Rosslyn? The VA state gov't. has proposed making that available for development, in order to raise revenue for transportation improvements. While it seems that money could go toward funding a new Rosslyn-DC Metro tunnel (to Georgetown?), part of any funds could go to an improved MVT-Custis Trail-Lynn St. crossing.

http://www.arlnow.com/2013/07/03/va-...ent-over-i-66/

I know none of this is going to happen soon, if ever, but it could be a great way to provide a real fix for the Lynn St. intersection. Perhaps a future developer could contribute funds for a bike/pedestrian bridge as an alternate crossing of Lynn St. and perhaps Lee Hwy. too. The MVT could split off before reaching Lynn St. A street-level path could remain for those turning north to Key Bridge. The alternate path could go over a bike bridge or bridges, crossing Lynn St. and another bridge crossing Lee Hwy.

If this or similar proposals were brought up for long-term planning, then the state and Arlington could include such designs in the negotiations with a future developer. Those air rights should be valuable. The buildings would have a prominent location with views of Georgetown, the Kennedy Center and the National Mall. Occupants have easy access to the nearby Metro station, which will be serviced by three lines (incl. the Silver Line next year).

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Chris!

My wish list for Rosslyn, in order of priority (and aside from above):
    1) Fix Lynn/Lee
    2) Separate bikes from others along the Custis sidewalk
    3) Rosslyn - GWMP - Spout Run connection
    4) Improve the connection from the Iwo Jima to N. Meade Street
    5) Improve Key Blvd -- Key Blvd/Scott St (or 18th St, if that becomes a bike/ped street through Rosslyn) connection

I am SO EXCITED about the possibility of connecting the Iwo Jima to the South side of the TR Bridge. Awesome sauce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kolohe View Post
    Is there a concrete plan to improve the 'intersection of death' (Lynn & Lee Highway)? It's not entirely clear from the supporting docs you link (and that intersection is either right at the edge or outside some of the drawn boundaries on the various slides)

Or is the vision to just obviate the need for improvements by creating a new connection to the MVT (and TR Bridge) via the 19th/Ridge Road master project?
    To the best of my knowledge the plan currently doesn't address much in regard to the Lee & Lynn intersection, though additional trail connections could certainly help reduce the # of people who need to use it. This is definitely already on the list of issues to push on.

9. Likes Kolohe liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Fix the Intersection of Doom
    2. See #1
    3. See #1
    4. See #1
    5. See #1
    6. See #1
    7. See #1
    8. See #1
    9. See #1
    10. See #1

11. Likes Rootchopper, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    I don't like counterflow or two way cycletracks. The right side of northbound Lynn is busy enough.
    Because of the two-waying of Lynn and Ft Myer, I don't believe any of the cycletracks proposed could be described as counterflow or contra-flow. Are you completely against two-way cycle tracks, or only against them when they are on a one-way street? Or only against them when both directions are on the same side of the street? Or some combination? In general, just give me some more detail Dismal!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    What about the proposed leasing of the air space above I-66 in Rosslyn? The VA state gov't. has proposed making that available for development, in order to raise revenue for transportation improvements. While it seems that money could go toward funding a new Rosslyn-DC Metro tunnel (to Georgetown?), part of any funds could go to an improved MVT-Custis Trail-Lynn St. crossing.
    I'm going to put in a question about this. I know the study is aware of the air-rights RFP, but I'm not sure to what extent they are accounting for it. I agree that it may be our best shot at a real solution for Lee & Lynn.

14. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    2) Separate bikes from others along the Custis sidewalk
    How do other folks feel about this? I know there are other cities that have tried this. Anybody have successful models they can point to? PReferably with links and photos and data and whatnot?

3) Rosslyn - GWMP - Spout Run connection
    I believe I know the kind of connection/route you're suggesting here and that it has been deemed infeasible in the past (when they were looking at continuing the MVT all the way through Arlington) as too expensive / too environmentally destructive / too historical viewshed-destroying. Would love to hear more detail though. Perhaps it's different or perhaps things have changed.

4) Improve the connection from the Iwo Jima to N. Meade Street
    This would seem to fit in perfectly with many of those goals of the sector plan. Can you/others outline the problems with this connection as you see them now?

5) Improve Key Blvd -- Key Blvd/Scott St (or 18th St, if that becomes a bike/ped street through Rosslyn) connection
    By "improve" are we talking like bike lanes all along? Or some sort of Bicycle Boulevard treatment? Or are you kinda open to whatever staff thinks might be best in that regard? My biggest issue with that connection is the crazy steepness of the trail section that connects the two pieces of Key Blvd and I'm 'not sure what a good alternative is there. I don't really have a big issue with Key east of there.