Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Taken down by a Bike Lane Pylon on L Street

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Taken down by a Bike Lane Pylon on L Street

Last week, I hit the base of a bike lane pylon on L Street and nearly went down. A few of these pylon bases have lost the plastic pylon they support, so you don't see them until your front wheel hits them. This morning I wasn't able to recover control and went over the bars into the left-hand lane on L Street. Fortunately, damage was minor, but I'm now convinced that there's an issue here.

Have others had similar experiences? Any suggestions on how to raise this with the City? Thanks! - Sean

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SPHogan View Post
    Last week, I hit the base of a bike lane pylon on L Street and nearly went down. A few of these pylon bases have lost the plastic pylon they support, so you don't see them until your front wheel hits them. This morning I wasn't able to recover control and went over the bars into the left-hand lane on L Street. Fortunately, damage was minor, but I'm now convinced that there's an issue here.

Have others had similar experiences? Any suggestions on how to raise this with the City? Thanks! - Sean
    FWIW, DDOT is pretty responsive on Twitter...may sound silly, but I suspect DDOT has resolved more issues due to pressure from Twitter than any other feedback method.

Post Thanks / Like

What was the cross street? I bike L Street in the morns and will watch out for it. thx!

Post Thanks / Like

It's a problem. I've seen several people crash in front of the Quincy hotel. There is a bollard in the middle of the bike lane that breaks a lot and the base stays.
    Send a tweet to @ddotc and @bikepedantic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taken down by a Bike Lane Pylon on L Street

Quote Originally Posted by jnva View Post
    It's a problem. I've seen several people crash in front of the Quincy hotel. There is a bollard in the middle of the bike lane that breaks a lot and the base stays.
    Send a tweet to @ddotc and @bikepedantic

There is also on on-line form on DC gov't web site for people who don't tweet, or have twitter blocked at their jobs. I've reporting a number of potholes, and they been fixed with a few days. I've never used for bike lane issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Omg, I was attacked a couple weeks ago by a pylon too!! It was early - 6 am-ish, and there was a couple being weird - I don't remember what, they just got my attention - on the left sidewalk. I rode straight into a pylon. Yes, I can attest that the pylons will move if you're not watching them carefully. There's no way I would have hit it if it hadn't moved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Yes, I can attest that the pylons will move if you're not watching them carefully. There's no way I would have hit it if it hadn't moved.
    The issue is actually that you're watching it too carefully. About a yrar ago I went down when I hit a light that fell off the bike on front of me. It was about 2 inches wide and there was no one else on the trail. But it was still moving forward and I was fixated on it(don't hit it, don't hit it) so of course I nailed it, skated on it for a second then went down. I'm still not sure how people avoid this trap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GB View Post
    The issue is actually that you're watching it too carefully.
    If only! Really, I wasn't watching at all where I was going. <facepalm>