Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bike station at Long Bridge Park

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New bike station at Long Bridge Park

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean the road has been repaved? Great place for a station.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Yes. I rode through here Monday. It is repaved up to around the 395 interchange. Going under the overpass is still in rough shape, but Long Bridge Dr and Boundary Channel Dr (to get around the Pentagram, er, Pentagon) themselves are both smooth roads now.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Better than repaved. Bike lanes on both sides. Street lighting. Landscaping to be added soon.

The 395 interchange is a separate road project. The entire interchange will be redone but not immediately. The most recent update is that work will start in late 2014 or early 2015. That project will remove one of the ramps to 395 and shorten another one. This could leave enough space for a bike trail from Boundary Channel Drive to the Humpback Bridge, far enough from the small DOD structure on the Boundary Channel to satisfy DOD security concerns, whatever those may be. It would be a short bike ride from Long Bridge Drive to the Humpback Bridge underpass and the MVT, if everything goes as planned.

http://www.crystalcity.org/area/tran...ve-interchange

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bndinterchange.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	4061
    Last edited by PotomacCyclist; 11-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There will also be a bike station at the Boeing HQ building, to the south of the park. The concrete pad for the station has already been built. The station will be installed after the courtyard and building are finished. That is scheduled for the 2nd half of next year, maybe in the fall?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing that the Marine Corps Marathon will head up Long Bridge Drive next year. The race organizers had included that road as part of the 2012 route, because the road had been scheduled to be completed by mid 2012. They had to change the course when the road reconstruction was delayed.

Now that the road is finished, I think the MCM will include it for the 2014 race. It's better than running through the Pentagon parking lots. The road will look nice, once the landscaping is finished.

[I'm thinking about signing up for the 2014 race. If I do, I'll have to train properly for it this time. I ran the 2012 race on relatively low run mileage. Triathlon training helps, but you still need to run a lot more than I did last year. My last 5 or 6 miles were pretty ugly. I didn't run it this year, though I watched some of it.]

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some additional photos of Long Branch Road.

Name:	032.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	4062
    At the beginning of Long Branch, looking north

Name:	036.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	4063
    In front of the new Boeing Headquarters building

Name:	040.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	4064
    The new CABI station

Name:	041.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	4065
    In front of the soccer complex

Name:	043.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	4066
    Southbound bike lane begins in front of the Public Storage building

Post Thanks / Like

Just for comparison's sake (and for nostalgia, because we know everyone misses those old potholes so much).

This is what Long Bridge Drive used to look like just a couple years ago, when it was known as Old Jefferson Davis Highway:

(From ARLnow: http://www.arlnow.com/2011/12/20/rec...-set-for-2012/)

Name:	ka-004_825x550-600x400.jpg 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	4073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ka-020_825x550-600x400.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	4074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ka-022_825x550-600x400.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	4075

This is how Yelp reviewers described the road in 2008 and 2009 (from reviews of the self storage business there: http://www.yelp.com/biz/public-storage-arlington-2):

"I can handle the fact that this place is located in [the] most industrial "place to dump the body you just murdered" area. I can handle the fact that just driving there will kick up enough dust to give you an asthma attack."

"I was here over the weekend helping a friend move stuff to storage [...] when I realized that I had been here before. The previous trip was an accident - we had taken a wrong turn off the highway (this is why I can't drive in VA!) and it is SKETCHHHHY!!

Jefferson Davis Hwy turns to this half-dirt-stone road and you just keep going down it before you actually see anything. It'd be super creepy to drive there at night so I'm really glad we were going in daylight hours. ... Decent place to store stuff in...just make sure you come during daylight hours and bring a friend."
    Last edited by PotomacCyclist; 11-15-2013 at 03:25 PM.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    Just for comparison's sake (and for nostalgia, because we know everyone misses those old potholes so much).

This is what Long Bridge Drive used to look like just a couple years ago, when it was known as Old Jefferson Davis Highway:

(From ARLnow: http://www.arlnow.com/2011/12/20/rec...-set-for-2012/)

Name:	ka-004_825x550-600x400.jpg 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	4073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ka-020_825x550-600x400.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	4074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ka-022_825x550-600x400.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	4075

This is how Yelp reviewers described the road in 2008 and 2009 (from reviews of the self storage business there: http://www.yelp.com/biz/public-storage-arlington-2):

"I can handle the fact that this place is located in most industrial "place to dump the body you just murdered" area. I can handle the fact that just driving there will kick up enough dust to give you an asthma attack."

"I was here over the weekend helping a friend move stuff to storage (she's moved to Hong Kong :-( ) when I realized that I had been here before. The previous trip was an accident - we had taken a wrong turn off the highway (this is why I can't drive in VA!) and it is SKETCHHHHY!!

Jefferson Davis Hwy turns to this half-dirt-stone road and you just keep going down it before you actually see anything. It'd be super creepy to drive there at night so I'm really glad we were going in daylight hours. ... Decent place to store stuff in...just make sure you come during daylight hours and bring a friend."
    That's about what it was like (including the big across the road puddle) when I rode my first Air Force Cycling Classic Crystal Ride in 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post

This is what Long Bridge Drive used to look like just a couple years ago, when it was known as Old Jefferson Davis Highway...
    So glad the crappy road surface has been taken care of. I rode this way after snowmaggedon as part of my route to avoid the MVT and occasionally since then, and it was always less than pleasant, though it was at least different.

Also glad the old name is gone. Now if only we could rename Rte. 1 where it's called Jefferson Davis Highway and officially drop the state's Lee-Jackson designation for Martin Luther King Day (says I, a carpetbagger)... I won't hold my breath.