Likes Likes:  51
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Is It O.K. to Kill Cyclists?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFF View Post
    Reading your post here, mstone, I think we are in violent agreement on more points than those points on which we disagree. Last post for me on this topic (I promise), but this Weekly Standard piece that just popped onilne will make your head explode: "Drivers Get Rolled - Bicyclists are making unreasonable claims to the road." It reveals the extreme views of the vocal minority of "I hate cyclists" types and reinforces how this "us v. them" battle is getting worse -- and that makes us all far less safe.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articl...25.html?page=1
    Yeah, I understand that there are wackos who don't like bikes. I just don't think that giving them tacit affirmation (by bowing down and stipulating that cyclists are bad people rather than ignoring or redirecting them) helps to address that. I won't go into the linked article in depth because the thread is long enough already, but suffice it to say it goes off the rails right at the beginning when it tries to argue that cyclists prevent others from using the road by taking up too much room and making it impossible to pass by illustrating that point with an example of a cop who somehow managed to pass a bunch of cyclists before slamming on the brakes. There's little point in trying to address that sort of article with much more than "you're wrong" unless there's a way to have an interactive discussion, maybe with a white board, and actually talk about what's reasonable given math and infrastructure. If the person with the beef doesn't want to put that much time and effort into the discussion it's just bellyaching. And while it's unfortunate that there are people like that out there, we're laboring under the fact that we're humans and such is life.

Post Thanks / Like

Some pretty...passionate...commentary on this article: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2013...ted-again.html

Post Thanks / Like

BikeSnob has my proxy. F that writer. What a dweeb.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guga31bb View Post
    Some pretty...passionate...commentary on this article: http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2013...ted-again.html
    Yeah, what he said. Especially the f-words.

Post Thanks / Like

One final point about this commentary (at least from me). The author ends the commentary saying that he will remain sequestered in his basement riding a trainer and maybe venture out on supposed safe country roads until things get better for cyclists. His approach will ensure that the status quo will never change. The only way that cyclists will be viewed as legitimate road users that should be expected to be on the road, rather than fringe hobbyists, is to ride your bike as much as you can. It is really such a shame that a commentary that does such a good job in identifying the problem of cyclist safety falls so short in identifying the solution.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    Although I do agree with all of you, how is that working out so far?
    in DC
    http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...e-pedestrians/

In Va all the legal changes failed last session, but by a whisper. My understanding is ALL (due car, 3 foot pass, and dooring) will be reintroduced this coming session (if you live in Va you can of course help by lobbying.)

In Fairfax at the FABB summit two members of the BOS spoke, and both seemed intent on expanding biking in the County.

I think focusing on the minority of negative interactions on the roads, on internet comments, and on opinion pieces in periodicals with an interest in winning a suburban America that they are losing on other issues (I am speaking more of the WSJ and the WS, and of course the stuff we used to find in the Examiner), may lead to an unduly depressing view of the situation.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 11-11-2013 at 07:07 PM.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Good follow-up in the Economist about this issue (talks about the Netherlands putting the onus of safety on drivers).

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...cycling-v-cars

Regrettably the comments want to make me tear my hair out.
    Last edited by KLizotte; 11-11-2013 at 10:29 PM.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guga31bb View Post
    You know it's bad when BSNYC writes earnestly...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    You know it's bad when BSNYC writes earnestly...
    He's been doing that more often lately. It's hard to follow cycling news and not notice that something's wrong with the culture (and law enforcement). And then, if you also happen to have a bully pulpit, isn't there some responsibility to connect the two?

Post Thanks / Like

Beyond what other people have been saying, I was further annoyed at this piece for the following reason: even if you think that cyclists are obligated to take more responsibility for their safety (something I'm not sure I agree with), the sheer laziness of writing that, on one hand, some people think they're entitled to run over cyclists, and on the other hand, some cyclist think that's unfair, and so the truth lies somewhere in the middle is astounding.

Should we apply the same logic to crimes like murder? Sure, the people who are murdered aren't happy about it, but other people think murdering is OK... Maybe they can compromise?
    Last edited by jhr; 11-12-2013 at 09:28 AM.