Likes Likes:  294
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Good News on Infrastructure thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Next up - 50 & Irving. (can't wait!)
    My recent experience with 50 & Fillmore has been worse.

Now the light sometimes turns green for one way while remaining red for the other direction. Earlier this week one evening around midnight, I rode up on a CaBi to the intersection southbound. About 30 seconds later a car pulled up on the opposite side of the intersection. After that, we both waited perhaps a minute for the signal to change. Northbound Fillmore (i.e. the car opposite me) got the green, while my light remained red. Since there was no other traffic using Fillmore I decided to just make a run for it while 50 had the red light.

Who should be contacted to get this fixed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Who should be contacted to get this fixed?
    The fastest option is Streetlight & Traffic Signal Hotline 703-228-6511

But if you hate the phone, the report a problem app will work as will emailing des@arlingtonva.us

Post Thanks / Like

Anything new? Seems like it's been a slow year with respect to infrastructure improvements, even low-cost approaches like bike lanes. Alexandria hasn't been updating their webpage for it (Go Alexandria, the name of their non-car transportation program) and I've been riding almost none anymore (indoor rock climbing and grad school).

Anyone got anything to report?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlington124 View Post
    Anything new? Seems like it's been a slow year with respect to infrastructure improvements, even low-cost approaches like bike lanes. Alexandria hasn't been updating their webpage for it (Go Alexandria, the name of their non-car transportation program) and I've been riding almost none anymore (indoor rock climbing and grad school).

Well there is the PBL on Maine Avenue by the Wharf I think there was a small addition to the Trolley Trail in PG.

I haven't been updating this lately, as I am now more involved in BPAC and just not able to spend as much time on updating this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlington124 View Post

DC installed some paint and flexible posts on 4th St NE and along M St NE in an attempt to connect the MBT with Union Market, but that's a complete mess (especially during school drop-off and pickup times). While I can understand some of what motivated their decisions there, they just seem wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Route 7 over Dulles Toll Road

Route 7 over Dulles Toll Road intersection(See Google maps) is getting grade-separated multi-use paths(MUP) to be completed by Spring 2018. I saw two long ramps leading to two pedestrian bridges on both sides of RT7/Leesburg Pike from the east/south side of RT7. It looks like they would finish in few weeks, but VDOT says Spring 2018. The MUP would be 14 Feet wide, and will tie to future trails according to VDOT:

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/..._toll_road.asp

Looking west:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RT7MUPSW.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	15824

Looking east:

Name:	RT7MUPNE.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	15825

Post Thanks / Like

Is it Spring 2011 already? The Washington Blvd Trail contractor has been granted the notice to proceed and will start construction in January. The trail will connect the Arlington Blvd Trail to Columbia Pike along Washington Blvd via Towers Park. Background here for those who haven't been following along.

Post Thanks / Like

The improved Rt 27 Trail (the bridge construction by the Pentagon) will open right after Christmas.

Name:	asset_upload_file758_122020.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	15936

The Route 27/110 bridge rehabilitation project will reach a pair of milestones next week, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation.

On Tuesday, Dec. 26, the permanent shared-use path for bicyclists and pedestrians along eastbound Route 27 will open. The shared-use path is 14 feet wide on the bridge (replacing a concrete sidewalk) and 10 feet wide on the approaches.

From what I saw when I rode through on my way to the Hains Point 100, it looks like they've widened the trail as far back Eastward as the road to nowhere. I didn't get a good luck how far they went to the west, they at least widened it across the porkchop separating the ramps in and out of the Pentagon parking lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Also a new small, trail with mediocre paving quality has been opened connecting the 27 Trail to the Pike. You no longer have to slalom past the security booth by the 9/11 memorial. In fact, the slalom access appears to have been CLOSED. This is potentially problematic for some folks because the new trail cannot be easily access from the westbound lanes of Columbia Pike (for those cyclists who take the lane rather than the sidewalk/sidepath along the Pike). Also BEWARE when heading FROM DC TOWARD ARLINGTON on this connector. If, when you get to the Pike you want to cross the highway ramp to go under 27 the sight lines are truly and remarkably terrible. You cannot see the cars. The cars cannot see you. Proceed with extreme caution.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the bad sight lines!

Also, if you want to make your way over to the tunnel under 395 to catch a bus it is a tad more inconvenient.

Wish they would see fit to reconsider the "Cyclists must dismount" sign under 27. There is about a 1 in 600 chance you will encounter someone in the stretch.