Likes Likes:  294
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Good News on Infrastructure thread

Post Thanks / Like

[I didn't see an earlier post on this, but admit I didn't go back through the entire thread, so apologies if this is a duplicate/rehash.]

VDOT last month awarded the contract to build the Rosslyn Bike/Ped Improvements, originally designed by Arlington as the Lynn Street Esplanade and Custis Trail Improvements.

Among other things, improvements include wider, ADA-compliant sidewalks and a bike lane on North Lynn from 19th St north to Lee Hwy, and a substantially wider Custis Trail (which is also twice as far from traffic!) between Lynn and Oak St.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asset_upload_file335_123062.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	17808

Work is to begin later this spring and is expected to be complete in spring 2020.

2. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Berkeley development along S Glebe Rd is finally breaking ground. As part of this project, the developer will be widening the stretch of Four Mile Run Trail behind the development from 8' to 12'.

4. Likes lordofthemark, Guus, Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    The Berkeley development along S Glebe Rd is finally breaking ground. As part of this project, the developer will be widening the stretch of Four Mile Run Trail behind the development from 8' to 12'.
    Now if we could get some Met Branch type murals on that flood wall behind there, it would be just about perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes Erin Potter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by infinitebuffalo View Post
    VDOT last month awarded the contract to build the Rosslyn Bike/Ped Improvements, originally designed by Arlington as the Lynn Street Esplanade and Custis Trail Improvements.…

Work is to begin later this spring and is expected to be complete in spring 2020.
    Work is beginning! https://www.arlnow.com/2018/06/07/co...on-in-rosslyn/

The Virginia Department of Transportation announced that is starting work on the two-year, $9.3 million project this week.…

Drivers can expect daytime and nighttime lane closures on southbound Lee Highway and North Lynn Street…. Bicyclists and pedestrians on the Custis Trail along southbound Lee Highway between North Lynn Street and North Oak Street can expect detours onto temporary paths around the work zone. Signs will notify bicyclists and pedestrians during these temporary configurations.
    (as an aside, I'm still amused that VDOT refers to Lee Hwy as 'northbound' and 'southbound', based on the directions US-29 runs generally, despite the fact that Lee Highway runs east-west in its entirety...)

Post Thanks / Like

There’s paint down for a new bike lane on Hilltop Rd in Merrifield, going westbound (uphill). It went in just today, but I don’t think that’s any excuse for the he cars I was driving along with all driving right through it as if it weren’t even there.

9. Likes lordofthemark, dasgeh, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    There’s paint down for a new bike lane on Hilltop Rd in Merrifield, going westbound (uphill). It went in just today, but I don’t think that’s any excuse for the he cars I was driving along with all driving right through it as if it weren’t even there.
    Oh this might be useful until it fills with debris cause they don't street clean diddly out here. What does it do at the stop sign with Cedar? Perhaps I'll go for a ride along my old commute route this afternoon....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dplasters View Post
    What does it do at the stop sign with Cedar?
    For most of Hilltop, they’ve made westbound traffic go to one lane to make room for the bike lane; at Cedar, the bike lane ends and it goes back to two lanes: one for right turns, one for left turns. It’s pretty nice, if short. They put a lot of separation between the traffic lane and the bike lane, but the bike lane is in the door zone of the parking lane, of course.

12. Likes dplasters liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping they'll put in a bike lane on Merrilee - the speed limit is 25 but the lanes are SO wide everyone does about 40. And the entrance/exit to Home Depot scares the tar out of me every time I drive, walk or bike past it (in either direction).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I'm hoping they'll put in a bike lane on Merrilee - the speed limit is 25 but the lanes are SO wide everyone does about 40. And the entrance/exit to Home Depot scares the tar out of me every time I drive, walk or bike past it (in either direction).
    Merrilee is in desperate need of protected bike lanes to narrow the lanes between 29 and Lauren Elizabeth.

I continue to wait for my MUP/bike lanes that parallels 29 between Fairfax Circle and Gallows. I have little belief it will ever happen. But it will at least be a sign that Fairfax County is actually taking cycling seriously.

Oh and Hilltop was nice, though building off what dkel has said, I'd had put the bike lanes a foot or two left of where they are to get you fully out of the door zone and still have plenty of motor vehicle lane buffer.
    Last edited by dplasters; Today at 06:18 AM.