Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Good News on Infrastructure thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default George Mason repaving/new buffered bike lanes

Hey everybody!

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but I happened to be driving (gasp!) on N. George Mason Drive (between Yorktown and Lee Highway) and saw that as part of the recent repaving it's also receiving those v2.0 bike lanes with the extra buffering. Check it out!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170615_145439.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	14999

2. Likes dasgeh, CaseyKane50, Judd, bobco85, Steve O and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by run/bike View Post
    Hey everybody!

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but I happened to be driving (gasp!) on N. George Mason Drive (between Yorktown and Lee Highway) and saw that as part of the recent repaving it's also receiving those v2.0 bike lanes with the extra buffering. Check it out!

Name:	20170615_145439.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	14999
    The day before yesterday when I went through here I took the lane b/c they were painting them. I shouted "thank you very much!" (b/c loud painting equipment going) to the workers as I went by.

Post Thanks / Like

Arlington County has apparently taken initial steps in their project to reconfigure the intersection of S. Arlington Mill Drive and S. Walter Reed Drive, near Shirlington (https://projects.arlingtonva.us/proj...ile-run-drive/)

White plastic flex posts have been installed which appear to mimic how the future enlarged concrete "porkchop" island will be. Walkers and bikers can now safely take refuge in the area immediately south of where the current concrete island is. There is now a single left-turn lane, down from two.

There is also a marking for a bike lane heading northbound on S. Walter Reed Drive....this will allow bikers heading north to stay in a bike lane while traversing the intersection.

No photos yet but I made a mockup from Google Maps.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	int.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	15017

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

They are planning on "fixing" two other intersections along the WOD and 4MR (but not Walter Reed?!) too as part of the same project.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlington124 View Post
    Arlington County has apparently taken initial steps in their project to reconfigure the intersection of S. Arlington Mill Drive and S. Walter Reed Drive, near Shirlington (https://projects.arlingtonva.us/proj...ile-run-drive/)

White plastic flex posts have been installed which appear to mimic how the future enlarged concrete "porkchop" island will be. Walkers and bikers can now safely take refuge in the area immediately south of where the current concrete island is. There is now a single left-turn lane, down from two.

There is also a marking for a bike lane heading northbound on S. Walter Reed Drive....this will allow bikers heading north to stay in a bike lane while traversing the intersection.

No photos yet but I made a mockup from Google Maps.
    It's a "pilot" project, so if you like what they're doing, please, please, please tell them (des@arlingtonva.us should work, but there may be a better contact for this project).

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    They are planning on "fixing" two other intersections along the WOD and 4MR (but not Walter Reed?!) too as part of the same project.
    I don't think so. But you can certainly suggest they do!

Post Thanks / Like

This is awesome! I pass NE-bound through this intersection on my morning commute, and drivers tend to drift over into the unmarked bike lane which puts a squeeze on cyclists such as myself who get walled in by the concrete island. With the new markings, I was surprised at how much space I actually got from drivers (who knew that's how it's supposed to be!).

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    I noticed on parts of the Wilson Blvd bike lane in the Bluemont neighborhood that double white line "bulb-outs" were painted at intersections like Wilson/Jefferson, Wilson/Jacksonville, Wilson/Kensington, and more. I imagine they might get flexposts, too, to narrow the crossings which will make it safer for pedestrians.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Matthew Henson Trail - Viers Mill Rd - New Signal

While riding on the Matthew Henson Trail this weekend, I got a chance to try out the upgraded crossing at Viers Mill Rd. In the past few years, there were 2 separate crashes where cyclists were killed while trying to cross (one crash was blamed on the cyclist, the other crash was infuriatingly dismissed because MD law did not specifically state that mounted cyclists have any rights when using a crosswalk).

For added context, Viers Mill Rd has a 45 mph posted speed limit and crosses the Matthew Henson Trail in a valley (traffic is coming downhill from both directions). The intersection with outdated imagery can be seen here: https://goo.gl/maps/3kAueS8HT2Q2

I have pics combining what was before versus what is there now. Before is on the left, After is on the right for each. I tried to get a similar spot for the old shot.

approaching the intersection on the trail from the north, a new sign for cyclists that reflects the "you don't have pedestrian rights in crosswalks" judgement in the 2nd cyclist fatality case

Name:	matthewHensonTrail_1_cyclistSign.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	15097

new pedestrian crosswalk signal (walk/don't walk) replaces the button triggering flashing yellow lights

Name:	matthewHensonTrail_2_pedXing.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	15098

no changes to the approach from afar

Name:	matthewHensonTrail_3_viersMillApproach.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	15099

speed limit is still 45 mph

Name:	matthewHensonTrail_4_viersMillSpeedLimit.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	15100

here you can see the HAWK-like new signal; the signal has a constant flashing yellow, but when peds/cyclists push the beg button, the light cycle goes faster flashing yellow, solid yellow, red

Name:	matthewHensonTrail_5_viersMillXing.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	15101

In my experience going through this crossing both ways (I did an out and back on the trail), I noticed that drivers were confused as to what to do. They were stopping on the flashing yellow when I had a don't walk sign and waving me through; they're supposed to stop when their light turns red and I get a walk signal. I am concerned, however, by this because driver confusion leads to unpredictable behavior.

9. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    In my experience going through this crossing both ways (I did an out and back on the trail), I noticed that drivers were confused as to what to do. They were stopping on the flashing yellow when I had a don't walk sign and waving me through; they're supposed to stop when their light turns red and I get a walk signal. I am concerned, however, by this because driver confusion leads to unpredictable behavior.

I just don't understand why we can't use standard traffic lights for trail crossings.

11. Likes Guus, wheels&wings, Tania, bobco85, dasgeh and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No photos yet but I made a mockup from Google Maps.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	int.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	15017
    Here is a photo.

Name:	IMG_7601.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	15104

13. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I just don't understand why we can't use standard traffic lights for trail crossings.
    I'm with Judd. Pedestrian Activated stop-lights generally work fantastic for things like this. So much less confusing.... I can somewhat understand the want for flashing yellow to indicate that drivers should remain cautious, but as Bobco stated, driver confusion leads to unpredictable behaviour. Unpredictable in a 4000 lbs weapon is not a good thing....

15. Likes bobco85 liked this post