Likes Likes:  325
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  6
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: Good News on Infrastructure thread

Post Thanks / Like

Protected Bike Lanes being striped on N Veitch St today connecting Courthouse to Mom's Organic Market / Custis Trail.

https://twitter.com/ArlingtonDES/sta...31241009561601

Post Thanks / Like

New trail segment is almost finished northwest of Tysons, to make it easier for those coming from the west to reach the area, and it's mostly flat. Here is a Street View link. The trail is in the center of the picture as of June. Below is how it looks now. It seems that it will open within a day or two. It has its own street lighting. It comes out at the intersection of Leesburg Pike and Spring Hill RD. Here is a 3D Google view link. The trail occupies the green area between buildings and cuts through the trees to reach residential streets in Vienna.

I couldn't find a link to the project, but I suspect it's part of this project: http://connectroute7.org

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TysonsWestAccess.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	18469

3. Likes josh, Tania, lordofthemark, bobco85 liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    New trail segment is almost finished northwest of Tysons, to make it easier for those coming from the west to reach the area, and it's mostly flat. Here is a Street View link. The trail is in the center of the picture as of June. Below is how it looks now. It seems that it will open within a day or two. It has its own street lighting. It comes out at the intersection of Leesburg Pike and Spring Hill RD. Here is a 3D Google view link. The trail occupies the green area between buildings and cuts through the trees to reach residential streets in Vienna.

I couldn't find a link to the project, but I suspect it's part of this project: http://connectroute7.org

Name:	TysonsWestAccess.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	18469
    That appears to be the long awaited Vesper Trail.

See

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/transp...s/vesper-trail

The Tysons Metrorail Station Access Management Study (TMSAMS) identified necessary transportation improvements to enhance multimodal access to and from the Metrorail Stations in Tysons. Vesper Trail is one of the identified improvements, connecting pedestrians and cyclists from Vesper Street to Spring Hill Metro Station. The trail is an approximate .4 miles and runs primarily within Fairfax County Board of Supervisor property.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    That appears to be the long awaited Vesper Trail.

See

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/transp...s/vesper-trail

The Tysons Metrorail Station Access Management Study (TMSAMS) identified necessary transportation improvements to enhance multimodal access to and from the Metrorail Stations in Tysons. Vesper Trail is one of the identified improvements, connecting pedestrians and cyclists from Vesper Street to Spring Hill Metro Station. The trail is an approximate .4 miles and runs primarily within Fairfax County Board of Supervisor property.
    Thanks, it appears from the other side that it would take longer. I would say at least 10 days:

Name:	TysonsWestAccess2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	18526

Post Thanks / Like

Work has (finally) started on the Arlington Mill Dr & S. Walter Reed Dr improvement project near Shirlington.

In addition, and I don't know if it's related or not, there was finally an upgrade of the crosswalk and access ramp (or lack thereof) at Arlington Mill Dr and the Windgate Condo community. In lieu of what's currently there, they're building a mid-cross refuge and an ADA-compliant access ramp from the 4MR trail up to the street-level crosswalk.

7. Likes Judd liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fairlington124 View Post
    Work has (finally) started on the Arlington Mill Dr & S. Walter Reed Dr improvement project near Shirlington.

In addition, and I don't know if it's related or not, there was finally an upgrade of the crosswalk and access ramp (or lack thereof) at Arlington Mill Dr and the Windgate Condo community. In lieu of what's currently there, they're building a mid-cross refuge and an ADA-compliant access ramp from the 4MR trail up to the street-level crosswalk.
    Rode past today and saw the new ramp where the tree and then the stump used to be. I was wondering how they'd handle the difference between the road grade and the trail grade. Seems okay for walking but not crossing there on a bike.

Post Thanks / Like

The side path along Shreve Rd between the cement factory and Lazy Mike's has been totally repaved. I used to be reluctant to ride that, since it was a rough and slightly dangerous mess of broken up blacktop, but now it's a dream to ride, and a lot less stressful than taking the lane on Shreve. For those who go to Monday pancakes by way of the W&OD eastbound, it would be a pleasant way to go.

10. Likes Tania, Sunyata liked this post
    Judd is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    The side path along Shreve Rd between the cement factory and Lazy Mike's has been totally repaved. I used to be reluctant to ride that, since it was a rough and slightly dangerous mess of broken up blacktop, but now it's a dream to ride, and a lot less stressful than taking the lane on Shreve. For those who go to Monday pancakes by way of the W&OD eastbound, it would be a pleasant way to go.
    Hooray! I rode Shreveport instead of the path too.

I think everyone should try out the new path on their way to Mike’s on Monday for the holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As pleasant as it could be going to Lazy Mike's, am I right?

But really, I'm just bitter a worker waved a concrete mixer right into my lane when they were doing construction one Monday morning.

Post Thanks / Like

This makes me super happy for multiple reasons! Mostly, easier to get to ice cream now. But also, easier to get to the vet for medicine pick up! (My vet is next door to Lazy Mikes.)