Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Good News on Infrastructure thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steve o View Post
    i agree that the main problem is drivers using the slip lane, looking left and not slowing enough. What if a crossing "table" were used here? The crosswalk is raised to the level of the sidewalk, forcing traffic to slow down and pay attention or become airborne. That, along with signage and perhaps flashing yellow might help increase safety for people walking and biking.
    ftfy

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I rode for the first time the newly constructed cycle track on Fairfax Drive in Ballston that leads to the Custis Trail along side the on-ramp to I66. While the finishing touches are yet to be completed, this is a huge improvement. Now if "they" could only continue the designated lane to connect with Ballston Metro Rail/Bus station a few blocks away...

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

3. Likes vern, Guus liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer2U View Post
    Yesterday I rode for the first time the newly constructed cycle track on Fairfax Drive in Ballston that leads to the Custis Trail along side the on-ramp to I66. While the finishing touches are yet to be completed, this is a huge improvement. Now if "they" could only continue the designated lane to connect with Ballston Metro Rail/Bus station a few blocks away...

Oh boy, the new Ballston ice rink come January (we'll have to see how well it drains)!

5. Likes vern liked this post
    dasgeh is online now Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Arlington is asking for control of all of Fairfax Drive (it's currently VDOT). Imagine if we could have this two-way, protected cycle-track all the way to Clarendon Circle? We would avoid all the Metro/bus madness, and all of the shuttles parked in the current bike lanes.

7. Likes Sunyata, Steve O, Guus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet New Jersey bell.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel it necessary to point out that of the three primary users of this interesection (drivers, people walking, people biking) that this has been designed to inconvenience the people biking the most.

To wit: An eastbound person on a bike encountering a green light on Fairfax is supposed to stop at Glebe and wait for the light to change, then proceed across Fairfax to the eastbound bike lane and wait again for the cycle to come back to green on Fairfax. With bad-luck timing, this would require an entire light cycle.
    A walker, on the other hand, can proceed across Glebe on the green and then cross Fairfax at the change of light and proceed eastbound, only requiring 1/2 a cycle. Cars, of course, can just proceed through without stopping at all.
    I suspect many people on bikes will act like people walking and proceed across Glebe on the green, but the design makes this inconvenient and potentially a conflict with oncoming bike riders. There is no reason why this could not have been designed to allow for people on bikes to have an option at this point depending on the light cycle: cross Glebe on the green, cross Fairfax on the red.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I agree that the main problem is drivers using the slip lane, looking left and not slowing enough. What if a crossing "table" were used here? The crosswalk is raised to the level of the sidewalk, forcing traffic to slow down and pay attention. That, along with signage and perhaps flashing yellow might help increase safety for people walking and biking.
    I forwarded this idea of a raised crosswalk to the County, and it turns out they are already doing it. I got this reply:
    Thanks for your comments. Good ideas - the improvements you suggest for the slip lane are actually included in the design for the intersection! At the moment we are testing the signal timings associated with the lane realignment and larger refuge island. With construction of the full project, which should begin early next year, the slip lane crossing will be drastically improved: the crosswalk will be raised and slightly shifted so that drivers can first focus on the crossing, then negotiate making the turn, signs will be located in advance of the crossing, and signs will be located at the crossing with motion-activated flashing lights to bring further attention to the crosswalk users.
    Here's the website for more info: https://projects.arlingtonva.us/proj...ile-run-drive/

Thanks,
    Valerie

11. Likes Sunyata, bobco85 liked this post