Likes Likes:  470
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
ELITE ELITE:  7
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Thread: Good News on Infrastructure thread

Post Thanks / Like

While a lot has been done the past few months for the MBT extension to Fort Totten, it hasn't necessarily looked like it. However, very visible progress has occurred over the past couple of days. It appears the site work is getting close to finished near Fort Totten, so the final asphalt segment has been paved. All that's left is a bit of brickwork, cleanup, and removing the barriers. Hopefully soon!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220409_122145.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	29025

2. Likes CaseyKane50, Steve O, Boomer2U, Serdar liked this post
    Dislikes consularrider disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    While a lot has been done the past few months for the MBT extension to Fort Totten, it hasn't necessarily looked like it. However, very visible progress has occurred over the past couple of days. It appears the site work is getting close to finished near Fort Totten, so the final asphalt segment has been paved. All that's left is a bit of brickwork, cleanup, and removing the barriers. Hopefully soon!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220409_122145.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	29025
    If you're willing to go around the orange construction cones the trail is entirely paved from the transfer station to Ft Totten Metro! I rode it a few days back on my way back home to Petworth from a friend's in Brookland.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

4. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
    If you're willing to go around the orange construction cones the trail is entirely paved from the transfer station to Ft Totten Metro! I rode it a few days back on my way back home to Petworth from a friend's in Brookland.

Even better - paving wrapped up about a week ago and Wednesday-ish (maybe the day after you went through?) the fencing was taken down for the bike path. There's still some work in the area - mostly landscaping - but the path is open and it seems folks are loving it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Even better - paving wrapped up about a week ago and Wednesday-ish (maybe the day after you went through?) the fencing was taken down for the bike path. There's still some work in the area - mostly landscaping - but the path is open and it seems folks are loving it!
    Yep rode through Tuesday evening!

7. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the trail work at Iwo Jima may be done although the detour/construction signs are still up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Looks like the trail work at Iwo Jima may be done although the detour/construction signs are still up
    Confirmed. They even made a trail entrance from Marshall Drive up near the Carillon.

10. Likes scoot liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wharfle Track update

Phase 2 of the Wharf is well on its way. While the buildings have not opened yet, the western half of the second phase of the sidewalk level cycle track s now open, looks great. More like bike lanes than phase 1, and the sidewalk is a bit wider, so may function more like actual bike lanes. You still get dumped onto Maine for now, the last bit of the cycle track is not done yet.

Further good news (which I have wanted for some time) is that the cycle track in front of Wharf Phase 1 has been repainted - yes, the bike symbols and arrows are back, and there is even green paint as you approach the "street" crossings.

It's still far from the best facility in the area, but I am hopeful it will function better in the near future than it has in the recent past.

Also to note, further construction on the oval at Potomac and South Cap. Still some ways before it's comfortable going from the bike lanes on Potomac SW to those on Potomac SE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Phase 2 of the Wharf is well on its way. While the buildings have not opened yet, the western half of the second phase of the sidewalk level cycle track s now open, looks great. More like bike lanes than phase 1, and the sidewalk is a bit wider, so may function more like actual bike lanes. You still get dumped onto Maine for now, the last bit of the cycle track is not done yet.

Further good news (which I have wanted for some time) is that the cycle track in front of Wharf Phase 1 has been repainted - yes, the bike symbols and arrows are back, and there is even green paint as you approach the "street" crossings.

It's still far from the best facility in the area, but I am hopeful it will function better in the near future than it has in the recent past.

Also to note, further construction on the oval at Potomac and South Cap. Still some ways before it's comfortable going from the bike lanes on Potomac SW to those on Potomac SE.
    Hopefully they don't allow the new painting to fade. It also would be nice if they fixed all of the potholes near the northwest end of Phase 1.

You probably don't have this problem since you are biking to work, but there now is a bike/Segway touring company which completely blocks the path when a tour is being assembled. Perhaps the worst part is people testing their bikes/Segways, especially the latter, move randomly and often not in control before their tour starts.
    Last edited by ursus; 04-27-2022 at 12:27 AM.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ursus View Post
    Hopefully they don't allow the new painting to fade. It also would be nice if they fixed all of the potholes near the northwest end of Phase 1.

You probably don't have this problem since you are biking to work, but there now is a bike/Segway touring company which completely blocks the path when a tour is being assembled. Perhaps the worst part is people testing their bikes/Segways, especially the latter, move randomly and often not in control before their tour starts.

Oh, I do sometimes run into the bike tour people when I am commuting home in the evenings. They are mostly in control, but I do find myself calling "hold your line please" when they go past. Just one more Wharfle Track treat. At least maybe pedestrians will get more likely to expect bikes as a result?

And yeah, the potholes remain an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good News on Infrastructure thread

After being closed for several days to tear out the existing sidewalk on the west side of the bridge,

a new slightly wider sidewalk has been installed.

Note, the sidewalk does not extend to the jersey barriers.
    Last edited by CaseyKane50; 04-27-2022 at 02:29 PM.

15. Likes Serdar, bentbike33, Starduster liked this post